Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink #36 and #37

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink #36 and #37

Good morning! It is now time for the Mystery Ink reveal, but first, CONGRATULATIONS go out to DrPenfection for correctly identifying MI #36 in the "Guess the Ink" forum post #13820, and to david-p for correctly identifying MI #37. Very well done!!

MI #36 is a personal favorite because of its shading characteristics when printing large characters with a medium or broad nib ( a requirement when sending notes to the Lady Boss at work who refuses to wear her bifocals.) MI #36 is Noodler's Squeteague, named after a New England game fish and the official State Fish of Delaware.

https://www.gouletpens.com/collectio...11884736872491

MI #37 was purchased because of its unique bottle and the color was developed by a youtube fountain pen personality, Dr. Stephen Brown. MI #37 is Akkermans Dutch Masters SBRE Brown.

https://vanness1938.com/collections/...man-sbre-brown

Well, that's it for now. I would like to thank all of you who participated in this Mystery Ink session and hope you all had fun with it! Due to the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays (and the inevitable US Mail jam) the next Mystery Inks will be in early January 2022, the good Lord willing.

Stay Safe and Healthy everyone!
    Last edited by junglejim; September 23rd, 2021 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Adding correct identification of inks!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 20th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (September 20th, 2021), david-p (September 28th, 2021), DrPenfection (September 23rd, 2021), FredRydr (September 20th, 2021), mreeveshp (September 20th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 20th, 2021), thi (September 20th, 2021), Yazeh (September 20th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Thank you, junglejim!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (September 23rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Thanks, junglejim! My incorrect guesses for 36 were Lamy Petrol (ruled out when comparing chroma), PR Midnight Blue (at least I think that's the name...), and Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black. At least I got the maker right.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Thank you junglejim I wondered if I was on slightly dangerous ground when I used SBRE Brown as one of my comparison inks for MI#37 on the Miquelrius paper.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you junglejim for hosting this.

I had no clue on 36 and was way off on my thought for 37, I kind of thought maybe a diamine just cause it reminded me of other experiences with that brand. I already have a noodlers green but I might have to add that one one day just as a nice darker green.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mreeveshp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thank you junglejim I wondered if I was on slightly dangerous ground when I used SBRE Brown as one of my comparison inks for MI#37 on the Miquelrius paper.
    I saw that and thought "oh-oh, I think Chrissy hit it right on."
    Last edited by junglejim; September 20th, 2021 at 02:13 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 21st, 2021)

Thanks

I didn't participate in this round, but it was fun getting letters from 3 pen pals on here using the mystery inks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

This was my second Akkerman ink and while I was hesitant about the colour, I did enjoy writing with it. And ironically, while being a big Noodler's fan, I actually did not enjoy this ink, even with a broad nib, and that despite wearing my contacts, and reading glasses
    It's such a great experience to use an ink without knowing the name. Almost like blind testing wine or food.. very liberating experience. Thank you so much junglejim

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (September 23rd, 2021), mreeveshp (September 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Here are samples of the two inks with my evaluations.

I deliberately didnt look at the other submissions, to keep an open mind.

I can never get my photos to exactly match reality. I would say that, despite my best efforts, the photos show the inks lighter than they appear on my desk. The pictures were taken in daylight.

Thank you for letting me participate in this "game". I apologise that, due to a medical interruption, it took me so long to do the evaluations!

David

IMG_2671_DxOb.jpgIMG_2670_DxOb.jpg

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to david-p For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 24th, 2021), DrPenfection (September 23rd, 2021), junglejim (September 23rd, 2021), mizgeorge (September 23rd, 2021), mreeveshp (September 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 23rd, 2021), Yazeh (September 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

Wow! I have read what all have written. Most of you are much more scientific than I am! I am amazed that a mystery ink should be one that I myself have. By the way, I believe that the Akkerman SBRE Brown is made by Diamine. (Their bottle design is terrrific!) Apologies for my lousy handwriting, which I hope you are able to decipher nevertheless.

Thanks for putting this together, junglejim, and for letting me participate.

David

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to david-p For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (September 23rd, 2021), mreeveshp (September 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 23rd, 2021), Yazeh (September 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

David, you gave an elegant handwriting. Very easy on the eyes. It's funny that you had SBRE brown and chose Stipula.
    Even more interesting how SBRE brown in your other pen looks so different

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (September 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david-p View Post
    Wow! I have read what all have written. Most of you are much more scientific than I am! I am amazed that a mystery ink should be one that I myself have. By the way, I believe that the Akkerman SBRE Brown is made by Diamine. (Their bottle design is terrrific!) Apologies for my lousy handwriting, which I hope you are able to decipher nevertheless.

Thanks for putting this together, junglejim, and for letting me participate.

David
    Yes, Diamine definitely does make the SBRE Brown ink.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

mreeveshp (September 23rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Thank you, junglejim!

Forgive my brief departure from the forum. I have been traveling.

Confession time. I had received another sample of Noodlers Squeteague from a ink friend at the same time I received MI #36. So it was not from any great ink knowledge that I was able to make the connection. I did not want to state my guess here in order to allow others to make theirs. So, I had some fun on the "Guess the Ink" thread.

Regarding MI #37, I have sampled SBRE Brown before and somehow had the feeling that MI #37 was lighter in color than the sample I had tried. Nevertheless, while it is a tad dry (like many Diamine inks) I really enjoyed the shading. I may just have to bit the bullet and order a bottle sometime. But I have so many other wonderful browns that I am enjoying right now. Perhaps someday.

Thank you again, junglejim! This was great fun!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 24th, 2021)

Thanks

So I guess I'm not alone in feeling like diamine inks are dry, I only had 2 15ml bottles but they were both like that, though I want some of their inks I think I might have to find close to the same color by another maker, right now I have 8 noodlers maybe I will stick with them especially since they don't cost as much, and I have definitely added #36 to my wish list at first I was on the fence but as I used it it grew on me.

I know some say it's over saturated but personally I didn't feel like it was thought to be honest I don't know what that technically means, I did like how well behaved it was for me and most of my other noodlers are the same way

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    So I guess I'm not alone in feeling like diamine inks are dry, I only had 2 15ml bottles but they were both like that, though I want some of their inks I think I might have to find close to the same color by another maker, right now I have 8 noodlers maybe I will stick with them especially since they don't cost as much, and I have definitely added #36 to my wish list at first I was on the fence but as I used it it grew on me.

I know some say it's over saturated but personally I didn't feel like it was thought to be honest I don't know what that technically means, I did like how well behaved it was for me and most of my other noodlers are the same way

Thanks
    mreeveshp
    I don't find Diamine inks any dryer than other brands in my pens and on the papers I use and when I read other ink reviews I know I'm not alone in that. Maybe the odd colour might have a tendency to feel slightly dryer than some other colours across the whole range but to say that Diamine inks are dry after trying 2 x 15ml bottles sounds like a stretch.
    When david-p wrote with it he wrote "It is a nice wet ink that behaves well"
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 24th, 2021 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks

I stand by what I reported. I have not found any of the Diamine inks that I have to be dry at all. As I cannot identify any ink that I have as being dry, I suspect that the description refers more to the pen/nib combination used. But I admit that I have not been in this “game” as long as most of you.
    Last edited by david-p; September 24th, 2021 at 04:05 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to david-p For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 24th, 2021)

Thanks

@mreeveshp Diamine inks are wet generally speaking. Some oranges/brown can be on the dry side. However, I've noticed that even with dry inks, if you let them settle in a pen for sometime the dryness is more often than not mitigated. Though I have to admit, SBRE refuses to flex....

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

mreeveshp (September 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    @mreeveshp Diamine inks are wet generally speaking. Some oranges/brown can be on the dry side. However, I've noticed that even with dry inks, if you let them settle in a pen for sometime the dryness is more often than not mitigated. Though I have to admit, SBRE refuses to flex....
    Thank you for that info, they have a couple brown hues that I like but mainly some hues of blue and green, of I remember correct one of them was Caribbean blue, though it will be some time before I can get anything off my wishlist.

I did notice the sbre ink did start to write somewhat wetter the longer it was in my pen, I don't know if it matters that I'm using semi to decent fountain pen friendly paper compared to something like TR, hopefully sometime soon I can get better paper but it will be for special writing and my everyday writing would be with the best cheaper paper I can find.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    Thank you for that info, they have a couple brown hues that I like but mainly some hues of blue and green, of I remember correct one of them was Caribbean blue, though it will be some time before I can get anything off my wishlist.

I did notice the sbre ink did start to write somewhat wetter the longer it was in my pen, I don't know if it matters that I'm using semi to decent fountain pen friendly paper compared to something like TR, hopefully sometime soon I can get better paper but it will be for special writing and my everyday writing would be with the best cheaper paper I can find.

Thanks
    mreeveshp
    Caribbean blue is probably Monteverde
    Raw Sienna is on the dry side....but Chrissy can confirm, after all she's the Queen of Diamine ink reviews
    I believe Lamy pens are slightly on the dry side. So that might play a role. I didn't try SBRE brown in my only Lamy, so I don't know what the comparison will be.
    Also, in my experience dry inks write much better on absorbent/ unfriendly papers.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just tried both Diamine Pumpkin and SBRE, which were already in pens, and, though I wouldnt describe them as super wet, they are quite reasonably so. I was writing on 90gsm colour laser printer paper and no feathering. Pens are LAMY safari broad.
    Last edited by david-p; September 24th, 2021 at 10:08 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to david-p For This Useful Post: