Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on a 6th (final) pen/contrasting pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Advice on a 6th (final) pen/contrasting pens

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I'll submit 2 ideas, both ebonite pens.

1. A big woodgrain flattop. A Wahl-Eversharp Decoband if you want to be fancy, or something like a Lincoln (National Pen Co.) if you want something that (in my eyes) just as beautiful but less hit on the wallet. If you get a good body, then you can take your time to find a nice and flexible vintage nib that will fit the size.

2. Eboya. They are made by the same company who made the Nikko ebonite. Just a few models to consider, and go for the big model. Beautiful pens that will contrast your current set of curated collection.
    This is quite attractive to me...
    https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/eve...-restored.html
    Any ideas of how hard it'd be to find a correct flexible nib for it?
    Wahl made a lot of nice flexible nibs, so you may luck out and get a flexible one on the Decoband already.
    The hard part is to find a sample of the pen that is not exorbitantly expensive.

I would consider pen shows or high-end vendors like Pete Kirby (Petespenshop.com) or go-pens.com or ...
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

1. A big woodgrain flattop. A Wahl-Eversharp Decoband if you want to be fancy, or something like a Lincoln (National Pen Co.) if you want something that (in my eyes) just as beautiful but less hit on the wallet. If you get a good body, then you can take your time to find a nice and flexible vintage nib that will fit the size.

2. Eboya. They are made by the same company who made the Nikko ebonite. Just a few models to consider, and go for the big model. Beautiful pens that will contrast your current set of curated collection.
    Wahl made a lot of nice flexible nibs, so you may luck out and get a flexible one on the Decoband already.
    The hard part is to find a sample of the pen that is not exorbitantly expensive.

I would consider pen shows or high-end vendors like Pete Kirby (Petespenshop.com) or go-pens.com or ...
    I did find one on Pete's pen shop, with a Canadian flexible nib!

but...
    I found what I think is a deal ($375) for a user-grade Pelikan 101N tortoise like Christof's above...all parts are there and in good shape, just needs a cleaning and possibly piston seal replacement. I realized that my gut was telling me a 100 is the pen I dream most about *using* and the long captop will be unique in my lineup, as will the contrasting piston knob. Can’t wait till it arrives!
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; August 20th, 2021 at 09:01 PM. Reason: strange autocorrect error
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Congrats! This is a great price for a pen like this.
    Looking forward for pictures!
    C.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

btw: the tortoise family shows some potential for curation as well...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

dneal (August 29th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 21st, 2021), rkesey (January 13th, 2022), Viktaurian (September 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

but...
    I found what I think is a deal ($375) for a user-grade Pelikan 101N tortoise like Christof's above...all parts are there and in good shape, just needs a cleaning and possibly piston seal replacement. I realized that my gut was telling me a 100 is the pen I dream most about *using* and the long captop will be unique in my lineup, as will the contrasting piston knob. Can’t wait till it arrives!
    Pete has almost everything that is desirable (and high-end), the trick is to get it before they are gone

Congrats on finding the 101N tortoise. Just be careful when replacing the seal, those 100 series barrels can be quite brittle.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

but...
    Pete has almost everything that is desirable (and high-end), the trick is to get it before they are gone

Congrats on finding the 101N tortoise. Just be careful when replacing the seal, those 100 series barrels can be quite brittle.
    Thanks! I will have Brad Torelli do it; he has as good a chance as any of keeping the barrel intact.
    Will

Thanks

but...
    Congrats. Great choice. What’s the nib?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post

but...
    Congrats. Great choice. What’s the nib?
    It appears to have a fine or medium nib...not something like an extra fine.
    Will

Thanks

I was expecting a user grade pen, but never has a pen reminded me so much of a single user. The nib is quite smooth and almost brush-like, but only in one left-rotated spot, the tipping worn at strange angle which seems like it got there from many years of individual use. Almost like a bad architect's grind. I grew chilled as I realized the possibility that this was probably *the* pen someone used on a regular and extensive basis throughout their life. There is no engraving and I don't have any information on provenance (bought from someone in Bulgaria), but in a way that adds to the mystique of a pen like this. I am now torn about the restoration process...as you can see, the binde is chipped away a bit but not split or majorly deformed, and the nib is a bit strange. Do I owe it to the pen's previous life to at least try to enjoy it as it is? (The filler is fine and it takes a full fill; the nib is properly set etc. etc.) I think that's probably crazy, but it still nags me.

IMG_3421.jpg

As a writing tool I am even more pleased than I expected: the hard rubber section is really nice--I take it in my hand and feel so relaxed--and the way it contrasts with the celluloid barrel is wonderful. It's a charming pen.

IMG_3418.jpg

I think it makes a nice addition, especially on the tactile and ergonomic side of curation.

IMG_3431.jpg

^not my handwriting!
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; August 29th, 2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Will

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

dneal (August 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Advice on a 6th (final) pen/contrasting pens

Congratulations
    For your future quest
    Though you mentioned you are inclined towards Italian lineage, there are many vintage German brands which are user friendly / apt for daily use, decent size and provide great comfort with satisfying nibs.
    Aristrokrat
    Bohler
    Osmia
    Matador
    Luxor
    Even tier 2-3 Montblanc too
    I can go on...

PS: Having such discipline in limiting pens is called " magical powers"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Viktaurian; September 26th, 2021 at 12:13 PM.