Thread: 3d printed pens

Thanks

Default 3d printed pens

I've been using lockdown to combine my hobbies of fountain pens and 3d printing and, after lots of false starts and disappointing results (really, lots!), I've got a set of pens that I'd like to share.

P1010019 (1).jpeg

The pens are just as sparkly and glittery as the photo suggests, but you can't see the lively play of light that happens when the pens move.

The pens are all printed in seven parts and assembled with epoxy. All threads are printed, even the 0.5mm pitch thread for the Jowo #5 nib unit. They take a Standard International cartridge converter.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Michael Lew For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (August 26th, 2021), Detman101 (March 17th, 2022), elaineb (August 19th, 2021), ethernautrix (August 20th, 2021), jeffj (December 3rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 18th, 2021), manoeuver (October 24th, 2021), markiv (October 24th, 2021), Marsilius (October 23rd, 2021), penwash (August 19th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (August 19th, 2021), silverlifter (August 18th, 2021), Stands on Feet (August 19th, 2021), thi (August 18th, 2021), Yazeh (August 19th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: 3d printed pens

Lovely pens! I particularly like the herringbone blue.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 18th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Remarkably nice work, and unique in an ever-growing bespoke pen field. Thank you for sharing! (Website yet, or ??)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lew View Post
    I've been using lockdown to combine my hobbies of fountain pens and 3d printing and, after lots of false starts and disappointing results (really, lots!), I've got a set of pens that I'd like to share.

P1010019 (1).jpeg

The pens are just as sparkly and glittery as the photo suggests, but you can't see the lively play of light that happens when the pens move.

The pens are all printed in seven parts and assembled with epoxy. All threads are printed, even the 0.5mm pitch thread for the Jowo #5 nib unit. They take a Standard International cartridge converter.
    They are truly impressive.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Exciting progress.

If you need next ideas, don't be limited to cartridge pens, do a piston filler assembly which will take a common o-ring size.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Thanks. Yes, I was hoping to be able to make something out of the ordinary. No website.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Exciting progress.

If you need next ideas, don't be limited to cartridge pens, do a piston filler assembly which will take a common o-ring size.
    Yeah, I played around a bit with pistons, but the inside surface of a 3d printed cylinder is nowhere near smooth enough to make a seal. There's nothing wrong with cartridge converters for most pen users and I personally like changing inks and so the low volume of the converter and ease of cleaning are real advantages.

Thanks

With a SLA 3D printer it should be possible to create a smooth surface and otherwise use a lathe to smooth the surface a bit?

It is a really nice project and if it is possible to share the 3D drawings it would be great
    Kind regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hjeverts View Post
    With a SLA 3D printer it should be possible to create a smooth surface and otherwise use a lathe to smooth the surface a bit?
    True, but the beauty of these pens depends on the nature of the plastic. There are lots of lovely PLAs for FDM printing, but I'm not sure that's true of the resins for SLA printers.

I have made a few versions of pen with smooth surfaces (sanding after printing) and they are not nearly as interesting as these textured surface pens. Exploiting the layer lines allows me to make pens that are unlike pretty much any other pen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Lew For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (October 24th, 2021)

Thanks

I must agree with you that the number of colours for SLA printers is limited although it is possible to paint the pen afterwards. The structure on the outside of your pens is indeed really nice and although it is possible with a SLA printer will still look different.

I am curious about the designs for your next pens.

Did you use a printer with a dual head or one with a single head?
    Kind regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hjeverts View Post
    I must agree with you that the number of colours for SLA printers is limited although it is possible to paint the pen afterwards. The structure on the outside of your pens is indeed really nice and although it is possible with a SLA printer will still look different.

I am curious about the designs for your next pens.

Did you use a printer with a dual head or one with a single head?
    My next pens will take a size 6 nib and may have a 3d-printed twist and squeeze bladder fill system.

My printer has only a single head and so the colour changes are accomplished by manual changes of filament during pre-programmed pauses. Even if I have a multi-colour-capable printer I might use the pause and manual change system because it eliminates some problems of filament ooze and nearly guarantees a clean junction.

The pens in the photo are made up of seven 3d-printed parts, each made from a plastic selected for its properties matching the functional requirements of each part, with a small amount of lead ballast in the grip and in the body (not in the pale pens because their plastic is translucent and the lead would show through). The ballast is eccentrically located so that the pen is less likely to roll off a flat surface. It’s not a perfect roll-stop, but better than nothing.

The surfaces of the pen are ‘straight off the printer’ apart from the ends of the cap and body, which have been sanded and polished.

The body, grip and cap outers are mostly made of Polyalchemy Elixir PLA chosen entirely for appearance. The body liner is Xtron3D Marble, selected for its high hardness. The section inner and cap liner are made of a slightly softer PLA, Aurarum PPLA, so that the threads will deform to a perfect fit rather than wear when they are used.

Only the section inner is made in the conventional 3d printer manner (i.e. 3d model [OpenSCAD] then slicer [Simplify 3D]). The other parts are all made using G-code files that are made by software that I wrote in LiveCode and are printed with a single wall, “vase mode”. The single wall components are far too weak to stand alone—particularly given the relatively poor inter-layer adhesion property of Polyalchemy Elixir—but they are reinforced by being made into an epoxy-filled sandwich with their respective liner parts.

That unusual approach to 3d-printed construction means that I gain freedom of design and am easily able to achieve the intricate surface structure that gives the pens its sparkly glistening shine.

The PLA plastic used for the pen has good chemical resistance and so should not be stained by most inks and can be cleaned with ammonia-containing pen flush or warm soapy water. Not too warm, however, as PLA softens from about 60°C. (if you can hold your hand in the water it is cool enough). PLA is allegedly compostable and thus biodegradable, but in practice it does not break down even after years of exposure outside. The compostability refers to high temperature industrial composting and so there is probably no environmental benefit to the PLA beyond it being made from plant-derived starch rather than fossil oil.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Lew For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (October 24th, 2021)

Thanks

That sound really interesting, do you also plan to print the bladder?

So the construction is a bit more difficult than just printing it and screwing the nib section in. I'am curious about your next pen! Keep up the really nice work!
    Kind regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Remarkably nice work, and unique in an ever-growing bespoke pen field. Thank you for sharing! (Website yet, or ??)
    Yes, I now have a website! PlatypusPens.com has many photos and, with my blog posts, lots of information about the ins and outs of 3D printing a pen.

I'm selling two models, one medium sized (Jowo #5, AUD$150) and one larger (Jowo #5 or Bock 250, AUD$170), in three patterns and many different colour combinations.
    --
    Michael Lew
    Maker of Platypus 3D printed Fountain Pens

Thanks

Now I know what I'm getting my youngest granddaughter for Christmas.

Thanks

I look forward to finding out! ;-)
    --
    Michael Lew
    Maker of Platypus 3D printed Fountain Pens

Thanks

You'll find out by the end of the week. 🤔👍😎

Thanks

Impressive work and beautiful pens, Bravo !
    Francis

Thanks

I know there was something I forgot to do.

899 W Broadway, San Diego, CA, 92132, USA
    Thanks

There must have been a lot of false starts before releasing such beautiful pens on their own.