Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most used keepers

Thanks

Default Re: Most used keepers

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Thanks! Was your version an earlier one? Also, was this the largest of the Sentinel pens? It is bigger than a Snorkel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Pens see rapid changes, but a couple of nibs stand out, and have been reincarnated so to speak. I've been using them for about a year now.

I have a couple of Esterbrook nibs, 9461 to be precise, that write like no other nibs, no matter how expensive. Nothing comes even close. But the I have occasional problems with carpal tunnel, and the Esterbrook pens feel a bit small. I had a couple of broken Pelikan 600 pens with snapped off sections, so I repaired them, found a couple of caps, then gold plated the Esterbrook nibs and made collars to mount them (Esterbrook feeds) in the Pelikans. Fankenpen? I guess so. Comfortable pens that I enjoy using? Yes.

Ink? Always Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BayesianPrior (August 27th, 2021), carlos.q (August 28th, 2021), Chrissy (August 28th, 2021), christof (August 27th, 2021), FredRydr (August 27th, 2021), guyy (August 28th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 27th, 2021), Kaputnik (August 30th, 2021), Lloyd (August 27th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (August 27th, 2021), Sandy (August 27th, 2021), thi (August 27th, 2021), TSherbs (September 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

That's awesome, Ron, but that's a 9550 (my favorite Estie nib). How much was replating?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

I really love these kind of threads, and also seeing what others are using.

These are the pens that are my daily writers. 3 Conid's with different colors, because I like variety. And a Pilot 823 which is my EDC.

I have other pens too, but none that I use like these. These have been my mainstay for at least 3 years.

pens.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blopplop For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks

How much was replating?

I do it myself. I found a plating solution that is designed to go directly on top of stainless and chrome in one step - and it sticks very well. No signs of wear on the nibs and trim I've used it on. It gives me a real life use test. The few clients nibs that I've used it on have worked well.

That was the first nib I did it to and the picture that I had at hand. Then I did the 9461 shortly after, which then went into the red Pelikan. That 9550 is in another Pelikan.
    Last edited by Ron Z; August 28th, 2021 at 07:39 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 29th, 2021), guyy (August 28th, 2021), Lloyd (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    How much was replating?

I do it myself. I found a plating solution that is designed to go directly on top of stainless and chrome in one step - and it sticks very well. No signs of war on the nibs and trim I've used it on. It gives me a real life use test. The few clients nibs that I've used it on have worked well.

That was the first nib I did it to and the picture that I had at hand. Then I did the 9461 shortly after, which then went into the red Pelikan. That 9550 is in another Pelikan.
    I assume you also plate the tip of the tines. Does the plating wear off with ink/paper contact after a period of time?

It does make the nib looks nicer. Learned something new today, glad you share it with us.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks

I assume you also plate the tip of the tines. Does the plating wear off with ink/paper contact after a period of time?

It does make the nib looks nicer. Learned something new today, glad you share it with us.
    I plate them before I put them in the mount, so do the entire underside, and then the top. Yes, I do the tip, but I've also done a little tweaking after everything is assembled. I would assume that the paper being abrasive would wear the plating off of the tip like it does any other gold plated nib. The plating is not heavy, but it seems to be holding up well - at least as well as Pelikan plating does, and better than other gold plating solutions I've used.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Is it brush on electro plating like I've seen used in the Repair Shop? I've wanted to try that ever since I first saw it done.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Probably my most consistently used pens are a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 and a Custom Heritage 92. Basically indistinguishable, apart from looks, when you're writing with them, but the 91 uses a CON-70 converter, while the 92 has a built in piston filler. Both have FM nibs, and I'm not really sure which I use more often. Right now it's the 91.

For inks, my workhorse for some time has been ordinary Namiki (Pilot) blue. It may have gotten itself shouldered aside by De Atramentis Bllue Document Ink over the past year, a somewhat richer color.

I almost always have some other pen or pens inked, and I use other inks, of course. But the Custom Heritage pens and those two inks are my favorites.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

guyy (August 30th, 2021), Lloyd (August 30th, 2021)

Thanks

The following pens have been permanently inked and in use since I acquired them over the last several years:

Lamy 2k, CI EF nib (w/ Lamy black ink-- I love how the Lamy bottles come with the paper to wipe the section off). My EDC pen. Oddly enough, it wasn't my favorite until I let someone use it at work and they nearly destroyed the tines. Took me an afternoon of repair and now it writes better than it ever did before (though it resembles an EF cursive italic now).

Sailor Pro Gear Lighthouse, M nib (usually with Waterman Mysterious Blue or Pelikan blue-black ink). Own a handful of Sailors, all write nicely, but this is the best stock nib I have ever used and I always smile when I write with it. Perfect amount of feedback-- like writing with the smoothest pencil.

Pilot 823 Amber, Masuyama needlepoint (w/ Iroshizuku "Horsetail Brown" Tsukushi ink). The perfect journaling pen. Small script and carries a TON of ink-- writes forever.

TWSBI Eco Black, 1.1 stub (w/ Robert Oster's "Lake of Fire"). Such a simple pen, but I love using it. Piston filler holds a lot of ink. This is my primary greeting card/signature pen.

Herbert Pen Co. 2017 LE, 18k Jowo BLS (w/ Diamine Ancient Copper). My other greeting card / signature pen. Was going to gift this pen years ago, but it wasn't "sparkly" enough, so I wound up keeping it. Glad I did, because the material (celluloid?) is so warm and the design so understatedly beautiful that I find myself looking for excuses to use it.

I will say, too, that I keep several vintage pens in rotation (usually Sheaffers and Parker 51s), and nearly all of them are inked with Waterman Mysterious Blue. It's just a nearly perfect ink, IMHO, and I trust it in my older pens.
    Last edited by comixfan; September 2nd, 2021 at 02:48 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to comixfan For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (September 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

The only pen currently inked that qualifies is the Moonman C2 with a Pilot PO nib (that has seen consistent use since August 2015).

The Nakaya Piccolo Cigar (EF) has been inked and in use consistently since its arrival last December, so not yet a full year.

The ink - surprise, surprise -- is Noodler's Black. Except... lately I've been using Platinum Carbon Black in the Nakaya.

I've mostly rotated in and out Pilots - Falcon (SEF), CH91 (F), and CH92 (EF). The F nib came with the 92, and the EF with the 91, but I switched them, so the 92 (EF) has been inked since the EF's arrival a few months ago, currently with Pilot Blue ink. The red Falcon body is a beater cos it'd been inked for a few years before I transferred its SEF nib to a Danitrio, so the SEF nib in it today is from a more recent Falcon (black body) purchase from...I don't remember, cos I hardly used the pen, as it was a back-up. But I wanted to use the SEF nib, so I put it in the beater red body, currently inked with Sailor Shikiori Sakura-mori.

So there's been a bit of swapping in and out within the rotation thing. But consistent has been that Pilot PO nib and a Nakaya Piccolo Cigar. (Still unable to merge the two and sell of the rest of my pens forever!)

(Kidding. Even if I were able to use the Pilot PO in a Nakaya Piccolo, I'd probably want to use the Pilot EF and F and SEF in the other PIccolos, so... it would never be just ONE. Probably.)
    Last edited by ethernautrix; September 6th, 2021 at 04:35 AM. Reason: The usual typos

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), jar (September 6th, 2021), Jon Szanto (September 6th, 2021), Lloyd (September 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,132 Posts

Mine would be an early 70s sterling silver ciselé Parker 75. Almost always in rotation, almost always inked with Parker Quink black.

A while back I swapped the original 14K XF for a French 18K fine italic and replaced the section, trim ring and converter, so in some ways it’s not the pen I used before.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (September 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Mine would be an early 70s sterling silver ciselé Parker 75. Almost always in rotation, almost always inked with Parker Quink black.

A while back I swapped the original 14K XF for a French 18K fine italic and replaced the section, trim ring and converter, so in some ways it’s not the pen I used before.
    Getting on to be Trigger's Broom.

My answer is deathly boring, but it's a Platinum Carbon Desk Pen (medium nib) with Carbon Black. Once a week I write a postcard to a li'l ol' widda woman and it's just the practical solution to the problem. Throw in the other odd demands for something absolutely waterproof (new entries into my recipe book, for instance) and it simply sees a lot of continuous use.

More of a choice of style over workaday consideration would be the Pilot CH 912 with FA nib and Pilot Blue. It has probably slipped (or been pushed) out of rotation within the designated year but always makes its way back in quite quickly, which is no mean feat given the wealth of competition. No idea what may have happened to it in its pre-loved life, but it doesn't seem to suffer any of the railroading and wotnot so often spoken of. And apparently it absolutely loves to drink Pilot Blue.

You know, it's funny, because they're both Japanese, and yet if you looked at my accumulation you'd assume my answer would be a Pelikan. Huh.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 11th, 2021), Lloyd (September 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Great topic/thread.

I'm kind of surprised, but it's an 80's, gray-window, split-ebonite feed, W Germany Montblanc 146. It's always inked up with MB Royal Blue and is indeed used the most.

It came with a 14k monotone nib, but the tipping was all but gone. I had a bi-tone nib I put in it instead, but the bouncy feel and slight variation of the original nib was a better experience. I had Greg Minuskin retip the original nib a few years ago, and it has been the daily-driver ever since.

A not-a-big-fan of MB, who now uses one everyday. Who woulda thunk it?
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 11th, 2021), Lloyd (September 11th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    A not-a-big-fan of MB, who now uses one everyday. Who woulda thunk it?
    I'm a big fan of the surprise. (The pleasant or benign surprise, I should specify.)

Here's my pen peace (I'm giggling a little, not out loud):IMG_20210911_134527285~2.jpg

Seriously, this is what I've wanted for a few years now: my favorite Nakaya Piccolo Cigar with a Pilot PO nib (the pleasant surprise is that the #15 nib and feed fit!). Cue: Cartoon dog who jumps to catch a tasty treat and then floats supine, gently swinging, back to earth. That's me every time I write with this pen, which is often.

Aaaand, I'm not in the Pen Peace thread. Hahaha. All these open windows -- gets confusing in here.
    Last edited by ethernautrix; September 11th, 2021 at 06:04 AM. Reason: ETA

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 13th, 2021), guyy (September 11th, 2021), Lloyd (September 11th, 2021), TSherbs (September 14th, 2021)