Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most used keepers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Default Most used keepers

For those that have been amassing FPs for several years, what pen that you've had for over 1 year (and not had adjusted over the past year) do you use the most these days?
    Also, same question but regarding ink.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 24th, 2021), dneal (September 6th, 2021), rkesey (August 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Most used keepers

The one pen that has constantly been inked (of the 20 I own) since I bought it four years ago, and that gets used most days, is my Lamy 2K with a Bacas MCI grind. It is currently inked with Sei-boku.

The one ink that is always in one of my pens is KWZ IG Blue #3.

I also have three or four other pens that are permanently inked scattered around the house and garage, in much the same way that most people have biros lying around. These don't really count, right?
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), Lloyd (August 19th, 2021)

Thanks

Mine is my Pelikan M1000, black, fine nib (writes like a wide medium).

The ink is Diamine Burgundy Royale.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickap For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), Lloyd (August 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I have pens I've been using certainly weekly, if not daily, for over 50 years - a couple of old Pelikan 140s and a Parker 51. I also have a 149 that I've used constantly for over 30 years.

Inks are more difficult thanks to availability and changing taste, but I the MB is always inked with vintage MB Emerald (and I should have enough stored to see me out!). I suppose my other most used ink is probably Waterman Serenity Blue, as it's my go-to testing ink for new pens or repairs, with Pelikan 4001 Konigsblau running it a very close second.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), Jerome Tarshis (August 20th, 2021), Lloyd (August 19th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

It's my black Parker "51" Special since years:

Ink is just as black, from Pelikan or Parker.

Last edited by christof; August 19th, 2021 at 11:24 PM.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 20th, 2021), catbert (August 20th, 2021), da vinci (August 20th, 2021), dneal (September 6th, 2021), eachan (August 20th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 20th, 2021), Jerome Tarshis (August 20th, 2021), Lloyd (August 19th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (August 20th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Pilot Custom 823 FA nib inked with Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. In the 3 or so years that I've had it, possibly more, it's been uninked for a total of maybe 2 weeks. I put in Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo once and Kon-Peki twice in it, rest of the time it's been Tsuki-Yo always. It would be the perfect pen for me, if it would be slightly larger in diameter at the grip section.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,041 Times in 4,011 Posts

I have a lot that see pretty regular action, but if somehow use could be tracked, I bet it would be a pair of Sailor Pro Gears. One is a Realo model that was for the Nibs.com 20th anniversary and Mottishaw customized the medium nib; this always has Namiki Blue in it. The other is a standard model with Rhodium trim/nib in fine that I actually purchased from someone on FPG, and is always filled with Sailor Kiwa-guro.

They life in a Nock Hightower 3-pen case, the wildcard slot always switches up, but the reason I single out these two is that both inks are waterproof, and I use them constantly for postcards and addressing. The Fine is perfect for postcards as I can write small but clearly with the black ink, and the other is great for addresses as well as a very comfortable pen to compose letters. They never dry out, they get re-inked with the exact same stuff and flushed maybe once a year. Really reliable, always perform well. Nothing over-the-top but I love those two pens.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), Lloyd (August 20th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,041 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    ..what pen that you've had for over 1 year (and not had adjusted over the past year) do you use the most these days? Also, same question but regarding ink.
    And you?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I tend to swap and change pens and inks regularly but out of those I currently have inked I regularly use a Sheaffer Legacy mk1 with L'Artisan Pastellier Equinoxe 6 ink and a Mb silver Solitaire with Mb Meisterstück Blue Diamond ink because the former has a stub nib and the latter has a broad oblique nib that I love writing with.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    ..what pen that you've had for over 1 year (and not had adjusted over the past year) do you use the most these days? Also, same question but regarding ink.
    And you?
    Despite having several pens that sell for over 10x more, my matte black ebonite Ranga #5 that's customized to be roughly MB149 size in length and girth. It has a great steel Bock EF nib and always holds Noodlers Bulletproof Black ink (filled via eyedropper). Ergonomically, it's perfection for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2021), silverlifter (August 20th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

I have two permanently inked pens.

Nakaya. Inked since I got it just over five years ago.

Kaweco.

My most used ink is Noodlers Heart of Darkness.
    Malcolm

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malcolm For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), eachan (August 20th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (August 20th, 2021)

Thanks

I have many great writers but the one that is always in use is my Swan Levereless 1060

The nib has lots of flex (which I rarely invoke) and is a fine/medium without pressure.

The pen was made during World War II and that was the only time this barrel imprint was used.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 20th, 2021), da vinci (August 20th, 2021), Detman101 (August 24th, 2021), dneal (September 6th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 20th, 2021), Jerome Tarshis (August 20th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2021), Malcolm (August 21st, 2021), penwash (August 20th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

My Aurora 888P with Platinum cartridges.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

For over a year, this Sheaffer Sentinel DeLuxe VacFill has been filled and ready to write on my desk.

IMG_3681.jpeg

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (August 26th, 2021), Chrissy (August 20th, 2021), christof (August 20th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (August 20th, 2021), da vinci (August 20th, 2021), eachan (August 20th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 20th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (August 20th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Good thread, Lloyd. It's fun to see everyone's "real" favorites

For me, most of the time I'm testing the pens that I restore, which change regularly.
    So not counting those, I find myself always coming back to my Montblanc 344G

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 24th, 2021), eachan (August 24th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Hard to pick, but my Platinum 3776 M in Bourgogne hasn't been de-inked since I got it many years ago. And I hated it with the black Platinum cart. I just fill it with a few differing shades of red that more or less match the barrel, and call it Century Red.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Not quite a year, because both were acquired in the first quarter, but both have been inked constantly and I love them above all others:

Cleo Skribent Classic Piston (steel fine) with Visconti Blue
    Ranga 3C (titanium fine) with Stipula Verde Muschiato

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    For over a year, this Sheaffer Sentinel DeLuxe VacFill has been filled and ready to write on my desk.

IMG_3681.jpeg
    I was given that exact model and color of Triumph at my very first pen show in LI in 2011: I was a highschool freshman, and the vendor (I think it was John Danza) saw me inspecting it admiringly, and probably with the hope of nurturing a young person's interest in the hobby, said, "take it." I was a bit surprised, but I took him up on it and had it restored by Ron Zorn, whose booth was down the aisle at the show. It really opened my mind to fountain pens as objects of practical design and engineering, and took me down the rabbit hole of celluloid. I'm very grateful for that, even if I didn't end up loving the pen as a user.
    To answer Lloyd's question, I've only had one pen in my arsenal for more than a year at this point (though all but one of my current pens I intend to keep indefinitely): my OMAS Extra vest pocket, which I especially love to write lyrics with. It's a very wet, expressive and flexible nib, but usually feels the most 'at the ready' on a daily basis, apart from my "51". Similar to the green striated Triumph, it was a transition point in my pen journey: my first collector-grade vintage Italian pen, the one that has inspired me to (somewhat) focus on them. When I bought it my sophomore fall of college, it was the most I'd ever spent on a pen. I subsequently bought a 1950's 557/f and grey-pearl 556/f, a modern 556/f, and of course the Lucens and Extra lucens I have now. I've bought and sold many pens in the 4 years since I got my Extra vest pocket...but I have never had the heart or desire to sell it.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

I have a number of favorites, but I keep going back to my yellow Bexley Poseidon Magnum II with a piston filler and a gold F-C needlepoint. This is still my favorite pen to write with overall. I just wish it had an ink window. But other than that it is true pen peace for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 20th, 2021), MKeith (August 21st, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

IMG_3681.jpeg
    I was given that exact model and color of Triumph at my very first pen show in LI in 2011: I was a highschool freshman, and the vendor (I think it was John Danza) saw me inspecting it admiringly, and probably with the hope of nurturing a young person's interest in the hobby, said, "take it." I was a bit surprised, but I took him up on it and had it restored by Ron Zorn, whose booth was down the aisle at the show. It really opened my mind to fountain pens as objects of practical design and engineering, and took me down the rabbit hole of celluloid. I'm very grateful for that, even if I didn't end up loving the pen as a user.
    To answer Lloyd's question, I've only had one pen in my arsenal for more than a year at this point (though all but one of my current pens I intend to keep indefinitely): my OMAS Extra vest pocket, which I especially love to write lyrics with. It's a very wet, expressive and flexible nib, but usually feels the most 'at the ready' on a daily basis, apart from my "51". Similar to the green striated Triumph, it was a transition point in my pen journey: my first collector-grade vintage Italian pen, the one that has inspired me to (somewhat) focus on them. When I bought it my sophomore fall of college, it was the most I'd ever spent on a pen. I subsequently bought a 1950's 557/f and grey-pearl 556/f, a modern 556/f, and of course the Lucens and Extra lucens I have now. I've bought and sold many pens in the 4 years since I got my Extra vest pocket...but I have never had the heart or desire to sell it.
    Is the “Vest Pocket” like a 555 or Dama? Or is it a wider diameter pen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk