Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most used keepers

Thanks

Default Re: Most used keepers

I rotate my pens a lot, but lately these six have insisted on being used:

Six.jpg

From left to right: an Aurora Magellano with an Aurora Black cartridge, a Montblanc Noblesse that used to belong to my father, with Montblanc Shakespeare, an Aurora Optima, a Pelikan M800 Stresemann with Omas Green, a vintage Aurora with Waterman Blue, and a Montegrappa Elmo with Salix.

Two of the Auroras and the Pelikan were bought right here on FPG. The Magellano was an eBay purchase; its firm fine nib has become a favorite with my wife so it's always ready to serve. The Elmo came from the Nibsmith, and sees use mostly because of his cursive italic nib. The Pelikan has the most boring nib of the bunch, alas, but I like the size and appearance.

All but the vintage Aurora have been around for quite a while. The vintage Aurora was bought more recently and has not been put to rest yet.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fqgouvea For This Useful Post:

amk (August 25th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 20th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Cross Century II - used for 20+ years.

Parker Sonnet (SE 2018) Everyday carry - used with Parker Quink cartridges. They last a while and I keep a spare in my wallet. The 2018 + Sonnets seem to not suffer drying out as previous incarnations.

MB146 & MB William Shakespeare - used for long, novel drafting sessions. They have different inks - MB Leo Tolstoy & MB Royal Blue are favourites.

Lamy 2K with Diamine Velvet Blue - a nicely decadent colour which works well for correspondence - particularly when elaborating in detail about those kind of parties

Cross Townsend - Diamine Marine or Blackbird Kingfisher blue - a pen that just writes with no fuss. It's taken any ink I can throw at it.

Cross Peerless & Diplomat Excellence A - Pelikan blue black or Brilliant black - general note taking.

Parker 51's - general use for notetaking, shopping lists whatever.

I've surprised myself by listing Cross pens so much. They're reliability as writers seems to trump the most exciting nibs in my collection. I guess when I want to put something down on paper - I want to put it down and not fiddle about with a dried up feed or worrying about springing the nib.

I've probably got some pens I need to sell.

Lamy Aion with Diplomat Royal Blue - lives in my desk at work. Nice general writier - the adonised grip makes it slip free and its size means no-one is going to walk off with it easily.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Pilot custom 74 with SFM (soft fine medium) nib. I don't love the basic black body, but the nib is totally perfect for me.

Also weirdly the Noodler's Konrad, which I struggled with for a year when I first got it. One day it just clicked with me. I don't make it flex and just enjoy it as a semi crisp stub nib.

Inks I keep coming back to: Herbin Stormy Grey, Poussiere de Lune, Monteverde Rose Noir, Taccia Clear Navy Jeans

Thanks

Good question!

I need to slim down the collection, but of the ones at the top (not counting two new ones) are:

5. Omas Colombo II, with a Bacas-tuned M
    4. Visconti Van Gogh, 1.5mm stub
    3. Sailor 1911L maki-e, with a Bacas-tuned music nib
    2. Italix Parson's Essential, 1.1mm stub

And the one that I use more than any other...

Opus 88 Demonstrator, Jowo F

Inkwise, I'm constantly switching stuff in and out, but I'd say:
    - Waterman Serenity Blue (for testing, mostly)
    - Iroshizuku Kon-Peki
    - Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün
    - Diamine Oxblood

opus 88 bpc allegheny river twilight + violet starling.JPG

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkesey For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 24th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 20th, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rkesey View Post
    Good question!

I need to slim down the collection, but of the ones at the top (not counting two new ones) are:

5. Omas Colombo II, with a Bacas-tuned M
    4. Visconti Van Gogh, 1.5mm stub
    3. Sailor 1911L maki-e, with a Bacas-tuned music nib
    2. Italix Parson's Essential, 1.1mm stub

And the one that I use more than any other...

Opus 88 Demonstrator, Jowo F

Inkwise, I'm constantly switching stuff in and out, but I'd say:
    - Waterman Serenity Blue (for testing, mostly)
    - Iroshizuku Kon-Peki
    - Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün
    - Diamine Oxblood

opus 88 bpc allegheny river twilight + violet starling.JPG
    I recently got that same Opus88 with an XF nib and think it's fantastic.

I other permanently used pen, Newton custom pen that I got back when Shawn had no wait time.i was his one and only needlepoint grind and it's amazing. It's an eyedropper filler. I carry it in my pocket virtual every day. Two quick shots that make the drop blue look black.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

da vinci (August 20th, 2021), Detman101 (August 24th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 20th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 23rd, 2021), Yazeh (August 23rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    For over a year, this Sheaffer Sentinel DeLuxe VacFill has been filled and ready to write on my desk.
    I was given that exact model and color of Triumph at my very first pen show in LI in 2011: I was a highschool freshman, and the vendor (I think it was John Danza) saw me inspecting it admiringly, and probably with the hope of nurturing a young person's interest in the hobby, said, "take it." I was a bit surprised, but I took him up on it and had it restored by Ron Zorn, whose booth was down the aisle at the show. It really opened my mind to fountain pens as objects of practical design and engineering, and took me down the rabbit hole of celluloid. I'm very grateful for that, even if I didn't end up loving the pen as a user.
    To answer Lloyd's question, I've only had one pen in my arsenal for more than a year at this point (though all but one of my current pens I intend to keep indefinitely): my OMAS Extra vest pocket, which I especially love to write lyrics with. It's a very wet, expressive and flexible nib, but usually feels the most 'at the ready' on a daily basis, apart from my "51". Similar to the green striated Triumph, it was a transition point in my pen journey: my first collector-grade vintage Italian pen, the one that has inspired me to (somewhat) focus on them. When I bought it my sophomore fall of college, it was the most I'd ever spent on a pen. I subsequently bought a 1950's 557/f and grey-pearl 556/f, a modern 556/f, and of course the Lucens and Extra lucens I have now. I've bought and sold many pens in the 4 years since I got my Extra vest pocket...but I have never had the heart or desire to sell it.
    Is the “Vest Pocket” like a 555 or Dama? Or is it a wider diameter pen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe the 555/f and 555/s and (later but equally-sized) Dama are similar in diameter and/or* slightly slimmer but longer-barreled, with less chunky proportions. See picture below--pen no. 77 is a 555/s, no. 73 is (possibly later?) 555/f, and of course no. 71 is an adorable Extra Lucens vest pocket:

*when I first looked at this picture, I assumed pen 75 to be the 555, as it was equally long and slim to the 555 in slot 73...apparently 555/s models were thicker than 556/s models, at least sometimes? I would greatly appreciate clarification from a more experienced OMAS collector.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; August 20th, 2021 at 08:52 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    For over a year, this Sheaffer Sentinel DeLuxe VacFill has been filled and ready to write on my desk.
    Attachment 62778
    I was given that exact model and color of Triumph...
    Is the “Vest Pocket” like a 555 or Dama? Or is it a wider diameter pen?
    The Sentinel DeLuxe and the celluloid-capped Valiant have virtually the same dimensions, and were Sheaffer's largest pens from the 1942-48 era of "Triumph-style" Vac-Fill fountain pens. Capped, this one is 12.8mm diameter at the cap band and 130mm long.
    Last edited by FredRydr; August 23rd, 2021 at 07:55 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

da vinci (August 30th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

I have too many pens of many flavours and cant do them all justice

But the one pen always inked and in use is a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with a Fine Medium nib, normally inked with L’artisan Pastellier Baikal

It was probably one of the first pens I bought and is stayed in use ever since

I have other pens i prefer or rate as better but there is something special about this one which always draws me back - a lovely smooth nib which always starts well

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 23rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

I neglected to mention the almost 50-years-old MB 149 EF that's always filled with MB blue-black and ready to write, but how boring can you get? (It's a marvelous, reliable and satisfying thing, that pen!)

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

christof (August 23rd, 2021), CrayonAngelss (August 23rd, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 23rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 23rd, 2021), Lloyd (August 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (August 24th, 2021)

Thanks

I neglected to mention the almost 50-years-old MB 149 EF that's always filled with MB blue-black and ready to write, but how boring can you get? (It's a marvelous, reliable and satisfying thing, that pen!)
    I have a 1970s 149 EF and that is indeed a great pen. I don’t think mine is my most inked pen, but it does see a lot of use. This despite my being totally not an EF kind of guy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    I have too many pens of many flavours and cant do them all justice

But the one pen always inked and in use is a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with a Fine Medium nib, normally inked with L’artisan Pastellier Baikal.
    I like your ink choice

19. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

ChrisJ (August 24th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I don't have a large number of pens, relative to many members here - something in the region of 30. Roughly half of these are vintage and the rest are modern (production and custom made). I've noticed, since reading this thread, that none of my vintage pens are inked up, so wonder if this is telling me something, though not sure what. Go figure.

A Pilot 823, L2K and Pilot Decimo have all been inked since their arrival. Other modern pens move into and out of rotation.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 24th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I returned to fountain pen use in 2012 after a 20-yr hiatus (and I only owned one Sheaffer school pen then). Truly, I have only had one pen inked up continuously for the last 9 years: Platinum Preppy, with one form of Noodler's permanent black or another. All other pens and inks come and go.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    For those that have been amassing FPs for several years, what pen that you've had for over 1 year (and not had adjusted over the past year) do you use the most these days?
    Also, same question but regarding ink.

My constant companion...My Opus-88 Demo with SODF nib.

And for ink...I'm a green kinda guy. My favorite being "Yoseka - Origin .01"
    However, I've been hooked on "Sailor - Manyo Nadeshiko" for weeks straight now!
    I never thought I'd find a blue that I absolutely loved...yet here I stand, blue ink in-hand.

Pen Realm - Secretary of De Flex-4.png
    Last edited by Detman101; August 24th, 2021 at 07:02 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 30th, 2021)

Thanks

It’s difficult to say what my most oft inked pen is now that Covid has changed the way i work. In the old days, my Lamys were my most inked pens. They were the Al-Stars and 2000 B that i used at work. They were also the pens that i took with me when i wrote in cafés and libraries.

Now that my pens are more for personal use, the occasional letter or card or scribbling at the kitchen table, the pens i use are harder to replace and/or more delicate. I have had my 149 Calligraphy continuously inked since it came to me, but i haven’t had it for a year yet. By this time next year, it may very well be my most used keeper. Over the past 5 years, i’d say my most often inked pen is a Pelikan 400nn tortoise with a script BB nib. The 400nn is a great form factor — not too big, not too small, but light — and since it holds about 2mL, it stays inked for long stretches.

Last edited by guyy; August 24th, 2021 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    For those that have been amassing FPs for several years, what pen that you've had for over 1 year (and not had adjusted over the past year) do you use the most these days?

I never thought I'd find a blue that I absolutely loved...yet here I stand, blue ink in-hand.

The quote of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Is an excellent choice. I find myself wondering each time I see him quoted how different our world would be if he had not been assassinated 53 years ago.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

A Montblanc 145, broad nib, using Éclat de Saphir ink.

A MB 146 90th Anniversary of Meisterstück edition bought used on this forum, Broad nib, filled with MB Lucky Orange ink, in tribute to my late dog Lucky the Jack Russell Terrier.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Johnny_S (August 25th, 2021), Lloyd (August 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post

The quote of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Is an excellent choice. I find myself wondering each time I see him quoted how different our world would be if he had not been assassinated 53 years ago.
    Yeah, that evil little cross-dressing demon Hoover had all the important people of that time assassinated...
    One rotten person single-handedly made this country...and the world...a much worse place.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

guyy (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Attachment 62778
    I was given that exact model and color of Triumph at my very first pen show in LI in 2011: I was a highschool freshman, and the vendor (I think it was John Danza) saw me inspecting it admiringly, and probably with the hope of nurturing a young person's interest in the hobby, said, "take it." I was a bit surprised, but I took him up on it and had it restored by Ron Zorn, whose booth was down the aisle at the show. It really opened my mind to fountain pens as objects of practical design and engineering, and took me down the rabbit hole of celluloid. I'm very grateful for that, even if I didn't end up loving the pen as a user.
    To answer Lloyd's question, I've only had one pen in my arsenal for more than a year at this point (though all but one of my current pens I intend to keep indefinitely): my OMAS Extra vest pocket, which I especially love to write lyrics with. It's a very wet, expressive and flexible nib, but usually feels the most 'at the ready' on a daily basis, apart from my "51". Similar to the green striated Triumph, it was a transition point in my pen journey: my first collector-grade vintage Italian pen, the one that has inspired me to (somewhat) focus on them. When I bought it my sophomore fall of college, it was the most I'd ever spent on a pen. I subsequently bought a 1950's 557/f and grey-pearl 556/f, a modern 556/f, and of course the Lucens and Extra lucens I have now. I've bought and sold many pens in the 4 years since I got my Extra vest pocket...but I have never had the heart or desire to sell it.
    I decided to pull out and fill up this Sheaffer. I don’t know what model it is, whether a Sentinel or something else, but it has the conical nib and doesn’t have a Snorkel but rather a rod type vacuum filler.

It is strange because instead of having a dot on the cap, it’s on the end knob.

The pen is marked W. A. Sheaffer Pen Co. and has the number 1500 underneath it.

It fills easily and holds a bunch of ink. Right now it is filled with Diamine Imperial Blue.

Any ideas on which Sheaffer this is and when it might have been made?

The nib is incredible, by the way, although does not flex at all.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

You have a Sentinel. See: http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=2998

35. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021)