Thread: Van Dieman's Ink Styx Valley Forest Green

Thanks

Default Van Dieman's Ink Styx Valley Forest Green

This is my current favourite green ink. It’s a dark green with grey undertones which performs well in most of the ways that you want an ink to perform.

• It generally gives me a nice amount of shading and has a rate of flow that must be average because I do not notice it!

• It washes out of pens easily and offers more water resistance than most of my inks: the green is mobilised by water leaving a distinct grey line behind.

• Does not feather, spread or bleed through ‘fountain pen-friendly’ paper, but spreads and bleeds through on student note quality paper (Spirax brand).

• Drying time is fairly long on smooth coated paper (Life brand) but, as you can see in the photo below, that is mostly to do with the slightly pooled bits of writing where shading would occur. On a less smooth paper (Milligram paper) the drying time is perfectly reasonable. To be honest, I was surprised by the relatively long drying time as I have never noticed smearing problems in the past.

• No sheen, despite a clear red sheen on the picture on the bottle!

Inexpensive here in Australia: AUD 14 for 30ml and AUD 20 for 50ml (about 10 and 14 US dollars). The 50ml bottle is an attractive heavy-bottomed square bottle.

The first photo is of a page in my Life Noble Note notebook, which has a very smooth cream coloured paper, and the second photo is of a page from my Milligram's Utility Collection notebook, which has white paper.

The second photo includes a couple of swatches of Blackstone green inks for comparison. (What has happend to Blackstone? They seem to have disappeared.)P1010023.jpegP1010022.jpeg

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Lew For This Useful Post:

damfino (August 27th, 2021), junglejim (August 21st, 2021), Morgaine (August 23rd, 2021), Robert (August 22nd, 2021), thi (August 22nd, 2021), Yazeh (August 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Default Re: Van Dieman's Ink Styx Valley Forest Green

Thank you for the review, Michael
    I had the luck to try a sample of this ink thanks to the mystery ink thread. It's. quit a chameleon. With wider nibs the colour changes drastically

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

Nice review Michael - thank you

This is one of the Van Dieman's inks I don't have - too dark for me - but I can see the appeal for those who like more saturated colours.

I wish we could get the 50ml bottles - they're very nice looking, and my preferred size. Next time, perhaps I'd better put in a bigger order to get the free shipping!

I think a lot of us lament the demise of Blackstone - I know I'd love to get the cashmere colours again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    It's. quit a chameleon. With wider nibs the colour changes drastically
    Yes, I see a difference between the broad nibs and the medium Parker, which makes the ink look much darker. I assume that to be a consequence of the Parker being a wetter setup than the other pens. I really like the way the ink looks blackish in parts and then says "Green!" in other parts. The grey undertones are more attractive to me than the yellow undertones that many greens display.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Lew For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

[QUOTE=mizgeorge;333963]
    I wish we could get the 50ml bottles - they're very nice looking, and my preferred size. Next time, perhaps I'd better put in a bigger order to get the free shipping!

I get semi-regular emails from Van Dieman's with offers of three for the price of two and the like. I've just ordered their new Sea Urchin and the Harvest series Peanut Brittle, and they are throwing in a free bottle of Hanging Lake. Maybe you should get yourself onto their email list.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I wish we could get the 50ml bottles - they're very nice looking, and my preferred size......
    mizgeorge - you can get some of the Van Dieman’s Inks in 50ml bottles, in the U.K., from Izumi Pens. If they’re available the size selection is on each ink’s page, in a drop down menu.

https://www.izumipens.com/collections/van-diemans-ink

9. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

[QUOTE=Michael Lew;333966]

I get semi-regular emails from Van Dieman's with offers of three for the price of two and the like. I've just ordered their new Sea Urchin and the Harvest series Peanut Brittle, and they are throwing in a free bottle of Hanging Lake. Maybe you should get yourself onto their email list.
    I've been on their mailing list for a long time, the trouble is that however tempting the offers, it's a minimum $200 spend to get free international shipping, and I'm running out of colours I want!

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I wish we could get the 50ml bottles - they're very nice looking, and my preferred size......
    mizgeorge - you can get some of the Van Dieman’s Inks in 50ml bottles, in the U.K., from Izumi Pens. If they’re available the size selection is on each ink’s page, in a drop down menu.

https://www.izumipens.com/collections/van-diemans-ink
    Ooh! Thank you. I knew they were supposed to be the 'official' stockist, but it seems to have taken a long time for them to actually have most of them on site - I'll go and have a look now!