Thread: Montblanc 149 Polishing Questions

Thanks

Default Montblanc 149 Polishing Questions

Couple of questions regarding this. My 149 is probably early '90s as the band says Germany and it has a 14k nib, in case that makes a difference. I'm planning to get urushi work on this, so most of the scratches are irrelevant aside from the ones on parts that won't be lacquered.

1) Is it safe to polish the snowcap on the finial? I don't want to damage that part, as I'm planning to leave it unlacquered.

2) What should I use to try and remove scratches from the trim? All metal parts of it except the clip have scratches.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,000 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc 149 Polishing Questions

If you have someone else who will do the irushi work for you then leave it for them to prepare the pen beforehand.

The only thing I ever use on the metal trim on my Mb pens is a Sunshine cloth. Don't concern yourself with any faint scratches too much as any aggressive polishing is just as likely to remove some of the gold plating.

You could also wipe the snowcap with a Sunshine cloth. I had one with a black mark in the centre that had to be polished with plastic polish but otherwise you won't notice any faint scratches on there.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

eachan (August 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Montblanc 149 Polishing Questions

Thx. Ordered some sunshine cloths, so I'll see how that goes. I'm not trying to prepare it for the urushi, but to work on parts that won't have any on them. I didn't post pics, but it has a *lot* of scratches ... apparently it was kept loose in a drawer that also had loose metal stuff for like 15 years.