Thread: Jowo nib issue

Thanks

Default Jowo nib issue

I'm seeing a lot of posts on Facebook and Instagram about Jowo nibs cracking the section on pens. I was told to check my pens because they could have cracks that I don't know about. I checked and none of my pens are cracked and I'm really skeptical of this phenomenon.

Is this something that Jowo nibs are causing or just something these people are causing somehow?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Jowo nib issue

Quote Originally Posted by eicart0523 View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of posts on Facebook and Instagram about Jowo nibs cracking the section on pens. I was told to check my pens because they could have cracks that I don't know about. I checked and none of my pens are cracked and I'm really skeptical of this phenomenon.

Is this something that Jowo nibs are causing or just something these people are causing somehow?
    Don't discount a third possibility, that Facebook and Instagram are fomenting a belief that a widespread problem exists, when it may only be repeated posting of isolated instances.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 23rd, 2021), CrayonAngelss (August 23rd, 2021), Detman101 (August 24th, 2021), jar (August 23rd, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (August 6th, 2022), Stands on Feet (August 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

I'm not an instabooker, but I can confirm that I recently received a new pen fitted with an 18k Jowo nib, and the housing was cracked. Repeated attempts over the last two months to contact the manufacturer of the pen have been fruitless (unless you like frustrationberries).

Thanks

I discovered on Friday that one of my Jowo housings was cracked. I simply took a picture of it and emailed brian@meisternibs.com

You can read up on this at https://meisternibs.com/

My housing replacement should be here this week. I'm not sure if this is only for those in the US since Meister Nibs is the US distributor of Jowo nibs here in the states.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

This is now fairly common knowledge (i.e. not simply internet rumors), acknowledged by Jowo themselves and reported by, among others, a number of well-known bespoke pen makers.

However, the OP's initial post has a completely wrong notion: nothing is happening to the sections of any pens, it is the housing (collar) that surrounds the nib and feed that is cracking. They apparently had a material in use for a fairly long time that began to have major failure rates. Jowo has changed materials/construction and is working with makers to help replace broken items. I can source a bit more info if desired and post back. It does appear to have been widely verified and many people using modern/current pens have experienced the issue.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; August 23rd, 2021 at 10:56 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

jar (August 23rd, 2021), TSherbs (August 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

This has a lot of info on the current status of the issue (more detailed than the meisternibs release): http://racheldelafuente.com/blog/jowo-problem/

It would be a good idea for everybody to check every Jowo housing they have to see if any need to be replaced.
    Last edited by scud80; August 23rd, 2021 at 10:53 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scud80 For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (August 23rd, 2021), catbert (August 24th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 23rd, 2021), TSherbs (August 23rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scud80 View Post
    This has a lot of info on the current status of the issue (more detailed than the meisternibs release): http://racheldelafuente.com/blog/jowo-problem/

It would be a good idea for everybody to check every Jowo housing they have to see if any need to be replaced.
    Very helpful link. Thank you.

Thanks

I am also interested in this issue but the post you shared for a long time has broken the link you shared is broken, this is very unreasonable but can you fix the site now?
    cookie clicker

Thanks

Another spam post with a hidden link.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (August 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This is now fairly common knowledge (i.e. not simply internet rumors), acknowledged by Jowo themselves and reported by, among others, a number of well-known bespoke pen makers.

However, the OP's initial post has a completely wrong notion: nothing is happening to the sections of any pens, it is the housing (collar) that surrounds the nib and feed that is cracking. They apparently had a material in use for a fairly long time that began to have major failure rates. Jowo has changed materials/construction and is working with makers to help replace broken items. I can source a bit more info if desired and post back. It does appear to have been widely verified and many people using modern/current pens have experienced the issue.
    I can't agree more to Jon here,
    I had lot of issues of broken Sections and it was me who broke them while trying to do some TINKERING THOSE PENS!!
    By the way those pens were all Chinese "Jinho " plastic pens and nothing to do with any JOWO PENS SECTIONS OR NIBS. I agree I have experienced many damaged pens ( again Chinese ) that caused broken sections due rusting of the nibs when I replaced the originals to metal flex/ calligraphy nibs. They were not JOWO or any fountain pen nibs.
    So the FAKE BOOK CULTURE MAY BE ALWAYS DEVELOPING MANY MORE STORIES TO ENTERTAIN THEIR SOCIAL COMMUNITY. We like to see the evidence and the real stories to those who do the spot light and the connections to rumours to JOWO nibs.
    By the way I have a bunch of Jowo nibs and many solid sections too as spares for many modern pens.
    Jowo makes many alternative replacement pen parts too and still do many bespoke nib supply to small to the top bench mark pens like Pelkan. Also they make few more nibs under German brands as Nimosin and few others too.
    Correct me if I am mistaken here. They are the only one still operating to produce many European pens from Germany.
    Is this an spam ???