Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustration does not even begin to describe it!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Frustration does not even begin to describe it!

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I'm glad the solution was that simple.

My garden hose Sailor 1911 is inked now with a converter. I loathe Sailor converters. Every time I pick this up to write, it won't. I have to advance the converter, which also likes to disassemble itself while I do so.

And ink is always a suspect!
    Some day I'd like to try a Sailor pen/nib. But I am unlikely to shell out money without a good long testing, first. These comments spook me.
    I had several Sailor pens in the past (part of a bulk purchase from Japan), and they are nice pens. Excellent nibs, good build quality, and they always come with a cartridge that I just refill. I don't remember any persistent ink starvation issues. It takes a while to flush old inks that came with the pen, but then again, I don't expect anything different.

Now, I never bought a new Sailor because I think their pricing is a bit too high for the larger models.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It's amazing how some inks have the ability to bind inside a converter. When a converter isn't full it's quite easy to see this happening when you turn the pen with the converter inside and the ink inside stubbornly remains where it was. Some inks are even sluggish about moving inside a sample vial.

This problem sounded like an ink starvation problem rather than a pen fault. Always try a different ink before sending the pen off to be "fixed."
    It happens in some ink cartridges as well. Some cartridges get "air-locked" and starve the feed.
    Lamy black has done that to me several times
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

I have 6 Sailor pens. I don't have any problems and they are all with converters. They never get dry and they have an anti-dry locking through tight sealing mechanism.
    Even after months they quick start with out priming the ink to write.

Thanks

I've had this problem with the two Monteverdes I bought. Though I could never get them to write. Swore off the entire brand. One of them was my second pen too; I nearly gave up on fountain pens altogether after the problems it gave me.
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PenInvestigations For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PenInvestigations View Post
    I've had this problem with the two Monteverdes I bought. Though I could never get them to write. Swore off the entire brand. One of them was my second pen too; I nearly gave up on fountain pens altogether after the problems it gave me.
    Pretty much done the same with Monteverde and likewise their parent company Yafa.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 2nd, 2021), PenInvestigations (November 30th, 2021)

Thanks

I have a couple of pens, both Lamy's with converters; that work with no problems. And I have some never used converters sitting around. I have Pelikan cartridge pens, some 4-5, but somehow never got around to using or even seeing if those 'spare' 'new' converters even fit them.
    I have basically piston pens....near as many sac pens as cartridge.

I have enough piston pens for all my bottles of inks.

I tend to use cartridge pens therefore for my somehow obtained cartridges. Those are a minimum of my inks, in I've said since childhood in the late '50-early '60's, cartridges were too expensive...........still are.

Some times one ends up with some..........like I really got to go find out what nib width is best....for my couple Penman Sapphire cartridges.
    Or got to really look at some unlabeled Diamine cartridges; as an ink.
    I bought some Kaweco cartridges instead of bottles thankfully. So one ends up with some.
    Some just hang around for decades. Black is not my thing, and Quink black even less.

I've been reading about converter problems for a number of years. One guy likes permanence so uses gold plated piano springs; others think to take out the small cut ball point spring when it rusts.***... Those seem the best working get a rounds.

Some have said the plastic ball of a Pelikan cartridge does well...others are not too enthused. Same goes for the steel ball, which could block the feed.

Here in this thread and often a cartridge solves a converter problem.

The problem is not the ink, it is the converter is too narrow so has a vapor lock problem; when not that, then that ink clings to the sides where it has no problem in piston pens.

Piston pens are wide enough that they don't have converter problems.
    So best cure is to buy a piston pen.

*** Save the steel ball point spring. I don't know how much of it is needed to fit and work in a converter, but such a spring could be used up over years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 2nd, 2021)