Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The perennial dilemma - which pen?

Thanks

Default Re: The perennial dilemma - which pen?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Identifying a trusted member in the sales area is not that simple and embodies considerable risk.
    I disagree with this completely. If you use Paypal Goods&Services or anything that uses a credit card there's almost no financial risk, just some risk of inconvenience.

To be fair though, it seems like you don't want another pen based on the tenor of your responses. If you know what style/features you want then work with a maker and get a totally custom pen. It's not all that complicated. I recommend Lotus ... very good to work with and not very expensive.
    Last edited by scud80; August 24th, 2021 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 971 Posts

That's okay, I understand the risks are mitigated by use of PayPal and so on, but why allow additional risk of buying from unknown sources?

I guess when I think on the pens I use/don't use, it is hard to point out any specific features with regard to nibs, designs, sizes that really point to a personal aesthetic. Reading about how people get invested and engaged with little corners of the pen world kind of leave me feeling a touch envious. Perhaps I'm just an indifferent pen person?

There are currently four pens in daily use (plus 5 others that are inked but only for occasional use for now).

In use:

Amber Pilot Custom 823 with a fine nib
    Burgundy Pilot Decimo with a fine nib
    Black Lamy 2000 with an extra fine nib
    Kaleidoscope Franklin Christoph 20 with a Nagahara fine CI

All different designs, leaning toward finer nibs - although I am reasonably happy with any nib that doesn't give me blobby writing - and no particular colour sense!

One of the reasons that I looked at the Magico is that I am interested in the matte black version. In some ways the idea of a stealthy pen appeals, and because of that I considered some of the Sailor pens (never tried any of them) but they are all tiny pens.

Anyway, it's an idle pursuit for me, not an imperative one.

Thanks

Right now, sounds like you don't need a new pen and you're casting about for things to do with the money. If nothing appeals, set the money aside and you have an emergency budget for that pen you suddenly and quite unreasonably fall in love with.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 25th, 2021), fountainpenkid (August 25th, 2021), Lloyd (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

EOC. Save your money for the time when you are sure. Only you will know when that is.
    Malcolm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malcolm For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 676 Posts

Just to address some of the suggestions:

@christof - for a long time I was really keen to get a Centennial in Jasper, but they are quite uncommon and subsequently very expensive. And have that ring on the section (no idea when pen designers think this is a good idea, unless the user is only going to use cartridges).
    Well, the gold plated ring at the front part of the section wouldn't be my choice either, but lots of pen manufacturer choosed this feature. In fact, I can only see a problem with it, when your section is inky and you're not willing to keep this part (and the inner cap of course ) clean. For my part, I usually keep my pens and caps clead and had never a problem with any of these gold plated rings on any pen.
    But that's just me.... in any case, the gold plated ring does not hinder me to keep my Duofold for my little daughter as a graduation gift in 2027.

Thanks

Understood. It is perhaps an irrational dislike I have based on some stories I have read about corrosion on the section rings of Pelikan pens. No doubt better hygiene would prevent this!

Thanks

* Gary Lehrer is the only name that springs to mind. Unfortunately by the time I get the catalogues the listing has already been picked over.[/QUOTE]

If you spring for the subscription, which is very reasonably priced, you get first crack at the catalogues, days before they open to the public. No affiliation - I subscribe and have found it well worth it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Corrosion on plated trim rings is inevitable. When the pen is inked, there will be moisture under the cap no matter how fastidious one may be. Even one of my rarely used pens succumbed to trim ring corrosion after about 25 years. I donít think i used the pen more than once or twice. (I didnít like the nib & there were other problems with the pen that kept me from selling it). In other words, even laying the pen aside will only delay the inevitable.

Section trim rings are just a bad idea. EoC is wise to avoid them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

as already said, I donĎt think that the front part of the section is the best place to mount a trim ring, but my Duofold is about 30 years old and the ring is still ok, not like new, but ok. So if you like the Duofolds as I do, this trim ring should not be the only reason to decide against. These pens are too good...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    * Gary Lehrer is the only name that springs to mind. Unfortunately by the time I get the catalogues the listing has already been picked over.

If you spring for the subscription, which is very reasonably priced, you get first crack at the catalogues, days before they open to the public. No affiliation - I subscribe and have found it well worth it.[/QUOTE]

I do take the subscription each year, but the timing of the first release is usually unfavourable to me. On only two occasions have I been able to buy a pen, and those were relatively low cost pens.

Thanks

Spent a bit of time looking at pen pictures today. Nothing really stands out, and I have some odd feelings about arty pens. Let me explain. My favourite Nakaya style is Jidai Nuri. However, as much as I like looking at this style I can not imagine ever carrying it as a pen, or even using it much in the home. It just doesn't look like a pen to me. I know that's a taste thing, and it surprises me to find myself at this point, but there it is.

Was talking with my wife a short while ago and she said to just get whatever I want! I think she was secretly pleased that I am finding myself unable to choose anything.

Once I was keen on getting a modern Aurora... but just gone off the looks. And they are small pens to me, not optimal. I quite like the look of the Visconti Lava Inferno (I know, you'll laugh at me for this), and the earlier suggestion of a mythical vintage 149 (honking big nib, hehe). Other than that... I got nada. Funny thing is, my wife likes the look of another FC Model 20, and I may just go for that with a custom nib. It will be a replacement for my Pocket 66 LE which is really not the right size for me, and is going for sale (Grizzly acrylic with a Nagahara needlepoint if anyone is curious).

Never thought I'd feel this way if I was put in a situation of financial advantage. Perhaps a lifetime of general thriftiness is hard to set aside!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

penwash (August 26th, 2021)

Thanks

...Never thought I'd feel this way if I was put in a situation of financial advantage...
    would be the same with me.

I only spend lots of money for the collection, not for user pens, since I already have plenty of them and am using them for years without changing.
    (If I didn't collect, I wouldn't even be here...)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 26th, 2021), penwash (August 26th, 2021)

Thanks

I went through this process back in July. Pelikan m1000, Visconti Homo Sapiens, etc.

I now use my Pilot Custom Urushi every day, but... to each their own.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 26th, 2021)

Thanks

A couple of things are becoming abundantly clear from some backchannel chat with other members:

1. I really have no idea about more expensive pens and no real point of comparison to make any sensible judgement.
    2. With ebay as my only resource my understanding of prices is probably unfavourably skewed.

Both of these make choosing difficult and buying risky, respectively.

I guess a whole lot more education is required (which I know I can do), and a few more bridges built to good sellers (which is highly problematic).

Thanks

Okay, first task complete - just ordered a new ebonite feed for my Pilot 912 FA. Hopefully that will render it a more useable pen.

Now considering a Kaigelu 316 or Moonman M600s to get that Duofold experience without the cost. In the cart but not yet hit the buy button.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 28th, 2021), TSherbs (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts

Okay, first task complete - just ordered a new ebonite feed for my Pilot 912 FA. Hopefully that will render it a more useable pen.

Now considering a Kaigelu 316 or Moonman M600s to get that Duofold experience without the cost. In the cart but not yet hit the buy button.
    I like my 600s a lot. But the nib is only average. But the price makes up for a lot for me.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

After a fair bit of reflection I think I am going to go for either an MB146 or an MB149.

This has the virtue of being an almost unachievable goal - finding a trustable seller, the right condition of the pen, the right nib, a fair price, and so on - such that it's not going to be satisfied any time soon (if ever). Kind of releases me from looking at stuff I guess.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; August 30th, 2021 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    EOC. Save your money for the time when you are sure. Only you will know when that is.
    Pretty much the conclusion I am reaching now. Think I just liked the idea of having a 'signature pen'. Not a good reason for spending money.