Thread: Remove a Sheaffer Triumph/wrap around nib

Thanks

Default Remove a Sheaffer Triumph/wrap around nib

A00948A6-FF69-4F28-81BE-C87A0A930B46.jpgSave me from myself. I have a Lady Sheaffer Skripsert VI and I dropped it, of course, cap off and it landed nib first. Fortunately, the damage is not extreme so living with it is an option. I want to remove the wrap-around nib and straighten it but I have no idea how this is done, and Google doesn't know (imagine that!).

Assistance, warnings, recommendations are all welcome.

Thanks,
    Danny
    Last edited by arbutus967; August 26th, 2021 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Adding photo

Thanks

Default Re: Remove a Sheaffer Triumph/wrap around nib

If it's the same as my Sheaffer Imperial then the nib is threaded onto the body. Unscrew it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Michael, that's a big if! Some of these are nearly impossible to get off.

Danny, a photo or two would help in IDing the particular nib setup, because I'm not certain all these pens (in that series) are identical. I can then take a look in the Marshall/Oldfield book to see if they have any ideas. Optimally, Ron Zorn may see this post and answer you (from experience).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Ask Ron Zorn for advice. You may find it makes sense to send it to him unless you are prepared to wade through a few Triumph-style nibs before you get the hang of it...with the right tools.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

arbutus967 (August 26th, 2021), Chrissy (August 27th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (August 26th, 2021), eachan (August 26th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

The Lady Scripsert, and similar Stylist nibs i.e. snorkel size or smaller conical nibs, do screw onto the mount, as do the nibs from the Snorkel and TM TD lines, and the Targets. The 40s Triumph nibs, and the FAT TD nibs may be mounted in a variety of ways. Some were screwed on, but a good portion of them are pressed on with the back end rolled over, and are very difficult if not impossible to remove.

The Stylist nibs, and Scripserts with the mount on the front end of the section that unscrews, have a donut that goes on the back end of the feed to keep the ink from leaking into the section. By now the yellow one have hardened, and they have to be replaced. Sheaffer had a bunch of gray ones made out of a synthetic rubber that they were using. You may be able to find a small 0-ring to fit in there.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

arbutus967 (August 26th, 2021), Chrissy (August 27th, 2021), eachan (August 27th, 2021), Jon Szanto (August 26th, 2021)