Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biden and the Bible

Thanks

Default Re: Biden and the Bible

I wouldn’t hold Biden to a standard that you would be unable to meet yourself. You wouldn’t want to be forced to take a medication or receive a form of healthcare without your consent. Yet, you sound like you would force a person to go through a pregnancy they do not want.

Now you have spent several pages attempting to say Biden didn’t interpret to scriptures as you would prefer. In light of your opinion of forcing women, how do you square the one idea of “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”?

This all comes across as a Pharisaic mentality as well as hypocritical. I doubt you could measure up to your own standards.

That said, I don’t need to defend Biden to anyone. He was the only rational choice I had.

Thanks

I agree Chuck, nether Biden nor I should endorse killing of humans.

And neither of us should should claim to be devout members of anything and blithely ignore the infallible head of that group.

See, you and I can agree.

Thanks

Of course we can’t live up to the standards set by God. But thankfully He made a way thru the finished work of His son. That’s the majesty of the gospel. He saves us from His wraith and our hypocritical wicked selves to Himself by Himself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    I agree Chuck, nether Biden nor I should endorse killing of humans.

And neither of us should should claim to be devout members of anything and blithely ignore the infallible head of that group.

See, you and I can agree.
    I am very pleased we agree, and was actually reviewing my post and knew you could complain that I was also being hypocritical because of my critical posts regarding Trump. Being curious, I looked up whether saying you are sorry is a sign of weakness because we know Trump chooses to never or rarely admit wrong.

His Access Hollywood apology, "This was locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago. Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course - not even close. I apologize if anyone was offended.” First thoughts is that it was not an apology. He never said he was wrong and he participated in what about this in referring to Clinton.

We are all flawed people capable of doing much harm to others and especially to those we love the most. Being able to admit wrong means we are in touch with ourselves. If you want to use a Biblical reference, the word repentance is a good as I can think of. The Greek word metanoeo indicates a change of the mind. I like to think of it as making a "u turn" where one is not only taking responsibilty of a wrong done, but also intends to change. While Biden often apologizes, he seems to make the same mistake by not being able to control his tongue.

The lesson for me comes from the writings of Paul in the NT, "For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There’s no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death."

I no longer consider myself a religous person, but I still consider the scriptures of great value and the teachings and example of Jesus as a practical guide for life and relavance. I suppose I call myself a disciple rather than a member.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Of course we can’t live up to the standards set by God. But thankfully He made a way thru the finished work of His son. That’s the majesty of the gospel. He saves us from His wraith and our hypocritical wicked selves to Himself by Himself.
    My only issue is that those who believe this don't necessarily have to be sorry or act in a way that is consistant with what Jesus taught. Their response is just that they are a sinner saved by grace. If you're going to be a follower, there should be some evidence you actually follow.

Modern Evangelicals are woefully ignorant or choose to ignore the scriptures they claim are the word of God. They also are followers of preachers than followers of Jesus. When you consider the examples of Jerry Falwell, Jr. and Franklin Graham, believers could do better.

While we can choose to forgive Trump, that does not mean we support and follow. Relationship is a choice and not a requirement of forgiviness.