Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biden and the Bible

Thanks

Default Re: Biden and the Bible

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Chuck,
    Your first phrase, "I don't see that it does..." is right on the mark. The remainder is a stretch to let the speechwriters and the speechmaker off the hook.
    Your second paragraph is true. I hold out little hope of repentance. I think such a concept has little or no traction in the secular world.
    Third paragraph: misuse of Scripture is not limited by religious or political affiliation.
    Have you found it curious, Chuck, that those who clamor for a wall between religion and government haven't commented on Biden's quote?
    Kazoo, I’ve been noticing so many misuse scripture for so long that your issue with Biden seems tame or much to do about nothing. This makes your concern appear unbalanced since you’re not taking the same route to criticize others. Singling out Biden make it appear your not well read or keeping up. Like I said, his interpretation has standing as a father. I would not fault a parent who used the text in this manner.

For example, I could never vote for a person like Trump because of my respect for what scripture says Jesus said, for no other reasons that do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And, I don’t think your could marshal a defense otherwise.

Of course , Jerry Falwell JR was found out and Franklin is a rebel without a cause. Would he actually a rebel. He sowed his oats and came back to run a ministry his daddy built, same as Trump .

So, I don’t understand your concern.

Thanks

Biden's the president, in the news misquoting Scripture. Don't assume I give anyone a pass. Start a topic on the others and I'll join you there.
    P.S. Are your references to Falwell and Franklin "whataboutism?" ;>)

Thanks

Biden's the president, in the news misquoting Scripture. Don't assume I give anyone a pass. Start a topic on the others and I'll join you there.
    I’d be interested is who else you’ve thought you didn’t give a pass. Does lying contradict scripture? Does not saying your are sorry contradict scripture?Is it scripture to grab women by their genitals contradict scripture? If not, you’re not worth my effort in discussing.

I agree. Franklin and Falwell are what about this. It came to mind because you’d expect them to be more acquainted with exegetical biblical interpretation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I’d be interested is who else you’ve thought you didn’t give a pass. Does lying contradict scripture? Does not saying your are sorry contradict scripture?Is it scripture to grab women by their genitals contradict scripture? If not, you’re not worth my effort in discussing.

I agree. Franklin and Falwell are what about this. It came to mind because you’d expect them to be more acquainted with exegetical biblical interpretation.
    Yes. No. As I understand the next sentence, No.
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    "All" is pretty inclusive.
    Be well.

Thanks

It’s not hard to understand. If you want to evade and play games, go somewhere else.

Thanks

It’s not hard to understand. If you want to evade and play games, go somewhere else.
    "Is it scripture to grab women by their genitals contradict scripture? "
    You thinking this is a well written sentence may be the problem.
    G'night.

P.S. "Stop pretending you’re a moderator, bro."
    Who said that?
    Answer in Post 12.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

dneal (August 30th, 2021)

Thanks

"Is it scripture to grab women by their genitals contradict scripture? "
    You thinking this is a well written sentence may be the problem.
    G'night.

P.S. "Stop pretending you’re a moderator, bro."
    Who said that?
    Answer in Post 12.
    "Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters." 1 Timothy 5:2. So, to answer your question, Trump did violate scripture by grabing females by their genitals. In your private moments, are you actually outraged that Trump said this. Compared to Biden's use of the scripture you posted, which is the greater infraction?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

My wife is older than me. I certainly don't treat her 'as I would my mother'. Do I violate scripture?

Not my responsibility as the reader to interpret the clearly asinine, and obviously problematic writing by Timothy. Maybe that's why it's "first" Timothy. A first go. A rough draft that wasn't intended for publication.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

"Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters." 1 Timothy 5:2. So, to answer your question, Trump did violate scripture by grabing females by their genitals. In your private moments, are you actually outraged that Trump said this. Compared to Biden's use of the scripture you posted, which is the greater infraction?
    No, I don't defend Trump's comment or that action. Yes, it violates 1 Tim 5:2
    I will trust God to judge the greater sin.
    Proverbs 30:6

Thanks

No, I don't defend Trump's comment or that action. Yes, it violates 1 Tim 5:2
    I will trust God to judge the greater sin.
    Proverbs 30:6
    Good to hear you hold Trump accountable. I’ve never understood how people give him a slide when he’s obviously highly contradictory to which they hold as truth.

If you don’t like Joe’s interpretation, that’s fine. We can debate the passage.

Thanks

Someone took something from the bible out of context? Used it for their own political ends?

People have been doing that for thousands of years. What else is new?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Careful not to engage in “whataboutism.” It happens when someone points out a flaw in your candidate, and instead of engaging on that point, the response is “Oh yeah? Well, what about what your candidate did?”

We all know both sides have wrapped themselves in mom, the flag, the Bible and apple pie in questionable ways.

But the OP was talking about Biden on one specific issue. A credible answer is not pointing out what Trump did. It would be an admission that Biden has disappointed on a couple of issues. Then you can say you still had rather Biden won than Trump. Or you could say he hasn’t disappointed you at all and you’re still glad he won, Biblical interpretation notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Inkflow; September 25th, 2021 at 08:23 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkflow For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 26th, 2021)

Thanks

That would be true except a reasonable interpretation would be consistant with Biden's use. For example, If I used the law of reciprocity aka The Golden Rule to support Black Lives Matter, that is a reasonable interpretation, but others may disagree.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Someone took something from the bible out of context? Used it for their own political ends?

People have been doing that for thousands of years. What else is new?
    Or is it Dems crossing their line between church and state to call people to God?
    Consider this faith-based appeal, which follows the Prez's call to speak on behalf of God as Isaiah did:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/york-gov-...221200535.html

Thanks

Biden is steeped i his religion.

Thanks

"Steeped" meaning what, exactly?

Thanks

Thanks

To miss use Isaiah 6 like that shows his disregard for our thrice holy God

Thanks

Oh God!!

Thanks

“There is the waste of children that we don’t want welcome,” [the Pope] said. “It is really a murder.”
    “Is it right to eliminate, to take a human life to solve a problem? Is it right to hire a hitman to solve a problem? That’s what abortion is.”
    -Pope Francis (emphasis added)

The law “unleashes unconstitutional chaos and empowers self-anointed enforcers to have devastating impacts. Complete strangers will now be empowered to inject themselves in the most private and personal health decisions faced by women,” Biden said.
    -Biden

Apparently not that steeped.