Thread: An eyedropper and other old things

Thanks

Default An eyedropper and other old things

These are some of the oldest things I own. They're dear to me not just because of their age but because of the stories they bear.

The poppy cufflinks are made from heritage material, Duralumin to be exact, from Spitfire P7350 which is the oldest airworthy Spitfire. That aircraft was a Battle of Britain veteran. I had the pleasure of seeing it and 12 other Spitfires in flight during the 2017 September Duxford Airshow during my short stint working in the UK.

This eyedropper was made by or at least branded by the Levy Pen Company. I am not too sure about their history and it sports a donor Watermans nib. I can't use it right now because it keeps burping but that's fine. I treasure the pen which is a gift from Professor Butch Dalisay who is one of the Philippines foremost writers. It was during a pen meet in Manila, just before I left for my UK stint, when he was selling this, that he quite suddenly decided to give it for free. I was fiddling with it so much thinking about whether I could spare the $100 to get it when he made the offer. Of course, I didn't refuse and this pen graces my collection as the oldest of all my writing instruments.

The oldest item here is the heart-shaped pendant. If you're a shoe aficionado, then you may very well be familiar with this material. It is 1786 Russian Reindeer hide salvaged from the wreck of the Metta Catharina along the English coastline. Two divers discovered this leather from the wreck in the late 20th century along a stretch of sea owned by Prince Charles who then permitted the leather to be sold to a handful of artisans (most of which having gone to George Cleverley). A pair of shoes in this material costs well above three thousand pounds. Well, that's worth well more than half the value of all my pens (which are my top collectibles) so I opted instead to buy something more modest which is this pendant. This one was scarcely a hundred dollars. Expensive for a pendant, but quite frankly a steal in my view for its provenance.

20210829_161909.jpg

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kampo For This Useful Post:

dneal (November 27th, 2023), fountainpenkid (August 30th, 2021), guyy (August 31st, 2021), junglejim (September 1st, 2021), Kaputnik (August 30th, 2021), Lloyd (August 30th, 2021), Nexus (August 30th, 2021), Robert (August 30th, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (November 26th, 2023), Yazeh (August 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: An eyedropper and other old things

Neat! I especially like the pendant. Not as a shoe or leather aficionado, but as a Plymothian. The Metta Catharina was found in my backyard, so to speak. The leather, as I understood the reports, is calf and cowhide, not reindeer, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks

Great story about the Spitfire cufflinks - - the Spitfire was quite a capable warbird in its day.

Thanks

However, if you’re on a tight budget, buying a pre-made grow tent might be the better option. Pre-made tents come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget. Plus, you won’t have to worry about building it – it’s already done for you. https://growtentmate.com/best-grow-light-for-4x4-tent/

Thanks

Create a platform that connects businesses and facilitates wholesale transactions. Focus on streamlining the procurement process for businesses in specific industries.
    try this web-site
    Going Here
    click to read