Thread: EFNIR: Colorverse Vortex Motion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 563 Posts

Default EFNIR: Colorverse Vortex Motion

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Colorverse Vortex Motion

This is review #238 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This ink is a really dark, muted purple - to the point that it will mostly look black or dark grey, but from the chroma and in comparison, there's clearly purple going on. In the swatch, it looks like a darkened version of Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same (but I didn't include that swatch because you have to have them aligned just so and close up to see it). Once dry and alone on the page from this nib, it just looks black. But while wet, you can definitely see the purple, making this a good "stealth not-black black".

Meanwhile, holy green sheen, Batman! That was unexpected. Cleaning was quick and easy with plain water (that turned very purple).

This was the first review using my new mini WiFi microscope. The images are not as clear as the old one. Sorry about that. I can't get another of the old one, so I'm not really sure what to do here except continue to use the new one for now.

Zoomed in photo (Sorry for the blur. This image is lacking all the subtlety your eyes would see.)

Screenshot (Gives the right overall impression.)

Scan of Completed Review (Text is a little too pale.)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Sorry for the blur. They're generally correct - it's a very dark grey to my eyes.)

Line width (The "h" in Rhodia. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 300µm. With 238 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.) (There's a tiny bit of the blue (like in the smear) showing in the top of the line.)

Microscope image (100x.)

Microscope image (400x.)

Microscope image (400x.)

Chromatogram (The smaller image is a scan, the larger is the photo. The photo is more correct colorwise - the scan is too bright.)

Other (While you can't see much sheen in the photo, my eyes see it everywhere - though it's much more obvious on Tomoe River.)

Previous Review: Noodler's 54th Massachusetts.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 20th, 2023), forester (June 20th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (June 20th, 2023), Yazeh (June 20th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Colorverse Vortex Motion

Unfamiliar with this one. Yes…it does look either brown or black, but I can clearly see the sheen. And the Dread Forest which our Dream Team will no doubt have to enter at some point. 😉

The chroma is interesting! But I don't think this is for me. Not much on poiple inks, though this one's intriguing. And the dryness, well, naaah…. Thanks once again for the Tuesday Treat!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Unfamiliar with this one. Yes…it does look either brown or black, but I can clearly see the sheen. And the Dread Forest which our Dream Team will no doubt have to enter at some point. 😉

The chroma is interesting! But I don't think this is for me. Not much on poiple inks, though this one's intriguing. And the dryness, well, naaah….
    Yeah, this one's a surprise, but not really compelling unless you want a stealth not-black black. Maybe I'll have to put some in a stub nib and see what it looks like from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Thanks once again for the Tuesday Treat!
    You're most welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

What an intriguing colour. Great review as usual
    Those microscope effects are spectacular. I have a feeling that this ink would really react well with bleach, at least for art work.
    I find the chromatography most intriguing. How salmon and turquoise can create such a dark colour!
    I wonder if Essri would write the way he talks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    What an intriguing colour. Great review as usual
    Thanks, Yazeh!

Those microscope effects are spectacular. I have a feeling that this ink would really react well with bleach, at least for art work.
    I find the chromatography most intriguing. How salmon and turquoise can create such a dark colour!
    Oh, bleach might be interesting. I've never tried that, but the unique color mix could do interesting things. And yeah, I would never have guessed that those colors would make this ink.

I wonder if Essri would write the way he talks
    Good question. Of course, he knows he lisps, so I guess that means he would know the difference...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (June 20th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Love the microscopy, and even the chroma, but sadly the ink doesn't live up to the promise of either of those.

I wonder how Essri would cope with a kitten...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Love the microscopy, and even the chroma, but sadly the ink doesn't live up to the promise of either of those.
    Well, there are plenty of other inks to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I wonder how Essri would cope with a kitten...
    Guess it depends whether the kitten thinks Essri's a toy. I also wonder if Essri is able to bite without pumping poisonous venom... Hmm. I have insider's knowledge that we might learn more about this interaction soon.