Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The new and improved COVID catch-all thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,407 Posts

Default Re: The new and improved COVID catch-all thread.

New recommendation from CDC on which Covid vax would be best for this fall:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...l/70315074007/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chip (June 16th, 2023)

Thanks

Biden admin report on Covid pandemic origins released: no conclusive origin determined. Two top theories remain Wuhan lab and slaughtered animals.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...n-lab-00103523

Thanks

I'm up to date on the variant. I will probably get the next dose in August and the flu vaccine the first of October as before. This keeps the titers at a good level through the season. Oh, and I got my first Pneumococcus vaccine last Winter.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 1,203 Posts

Let’s review what a ‘fringe epidemiologist’ told us years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    To start with a couple of asides:

1. The interviews Peter Robinson does at the Hoover Institution are very diverse and amazingly well done. He is a master. I recommend adding the “Uncommon Knowledge” pieces to your weekly schedule.

2. Since some of the more emotional posters should have me “ignored” now, hopefully a respectful conversation can take place. Please move on if you only have smug, smarmy comments.

Here is an intriguing discussion with Dr. Jay I’mgonnabutcherhislastname. He’s an MD and a fellow who contributes to economic policy research.

The points he makes regarding the “denominator” are crucial, but the whole thing is highly informative and great food for thought.

First, I would ask (even plead) that those who have strong or absolute opinions on this subject, those who do not have or do not want to spend time watching or listening to a YouTube video, and/or those who have only snide and sarcastic comments to offer - could you please refrain from responding and just move on to another thread or topic?

There is evidence that people are capable of discussing this topic reasonably, THIS THREAD being an example.

A recent Uncommon Knowledge episode reviewing the past 19 months of COVID came to my attention (roughly a week old at the time of this posting). Some can view it from an "I told you so" perspective, but that's a petty viewpoint. Instead, it is beneficial to review what we did and didn't know as opposed to what we now know (remaining cognizant of the many "unknowns" that now exist); to guide future decision making.

There is a dearth of information in this video that can serve that purpose.

The episode is roughly an hour. It does not require watching, and you can listen while you go about your day. Morning rituals, exercising, driving to work, etc... there are many opportunities one can take advantage of.

In the past, some have asked for a "transcript"; and I have accommodated when I could. There are too many sub-topics in this discussion for me to do that now, and I might in the future as I have time to dedicate to it. However, if you click the LINK, you will see an icon with three dots at the lower right (usually next to "save"). Clicking those dots will give you an option to display a transcript, which is far from perfect as it is the collection of closed captions; but it is better than nothing.

"A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Mercy, not again. I thought you wanted amnesty??

Thanks

Why would I want amnesty? I didn’t chimp-scream at people, or tell them they shouldn’t get an ICU bed. That was you and your ’Christian’ love for your fellow man.

Thanks

Why would I want amnesty? I didn’t chimp-scream at people, or tell them they shouldn’t get an ICU bed. That was you and your ’Christian’ love for your fellow man.
    You posted something about amnesty.

Christian love tells others the truth when they are going the wrong way, as you did during the pandemic. Love would also have caused you to do whatever was needed to protect others, again, you didn't. Do not lecture anyone about love, dneal. If you weren't going to protect yourself, then don't except them to save you from yourself, which you expected, and which would have occurred had you needed a bed. The medical community was and is still willing to do for you what you were not willing to do for yourself, even if your infection could have caused them and their family's harm. Wearing a mask, keeping your distance, and getting a vaccine was a minimum of what a loving person would do, if not for themselves, for others. This is the basis for Chrisitan love, treating others as you would want them to treat you.

Since you brought Christianity up, not getting what we deserve is the background for the Christian concept of grace or charis or free-unmerited love. I use up grace like a jet uses fuel at takeoff and wouldn't have it any other way.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; June 28th, 2023 at 07:30 AM.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Chuck, I didn’t proselytize. You did. I offered observations and evidence, and asked questions.

You and others attempted to excoriate me for it. You specifically asserted I didn't deserve any care - hardly a Christian attitude - and behaved in a way that represents the faith poorly.

I haven’t rubbed it in, even though I have increasing opportunity to do so, as the evidence of the harms of the Fauci's of the world become more apparent.

I only pointed it out in the Trump thread to give you reason to be more skeptical; and to (again) show your hypocrisy. You doubled down with "lol" and and emoji, reverting to Candy/Chuck. I'm pointing out your hypocrisy here, to see if you will own your words and actions - or try to rationalize your way out of it. I got exactly what I suspected I would.

I'd like to say that I'm sorry your media did that to your brain, but apparently you've got the long mind virus. You're still so tribal and partisan that you can't even see your side's attempt to dismiss the harms they inflicted on society. Ooops, how about amnesty? as the headline says.

You can keep your denial up, and I can easily quote post after post of yours (and others, for that matter). Perhaps you should find a mentor to help you understand what Jesus' would think about your past and current behavior. It's certainly not Christian.

Thanks

Hello,

The choice to have the jab is down to the individual.

However, the individual who refuses to have the jab - should they be asked to sign a disclaimer so as to save the medical profession from administering medical attention should he/she contract covid 19 (or variants)?

Alternatively -

Say, hyperthetically, I stress hyperthetically, a healthy, mid 50 year old person who refused to have a vaccine jab against covid-19 (and/or variants) contracted covid-19 (and/or variant) and, god forbid, became critically ill - that person would, I imagine, expect to be cared for at a hospital, surrounded by nurses and doctors, and would hope to be treated and to make a full recovery, but say, that person wasn't making a good recovery, or going to make a recovery at all - what happens to that persons wife or husband and children, if they have children. Is it then still a case of,... I made my choice, so allow me to die how I wish.
    Would it be fair to call that person, ignorant? How about, selfish? At the best, irresponsible?

Here lies my soulmate
    Taken from me far too soon
    I will never forget you

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

Thanks

Another victim of the media. I’m sorry they did that to you.

Thanks

“Give me liberty, or give me death!”
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Thanks

I readily admit to being just as big of a jackass as anyone on this board. I apologize. I incorrectly believed through consistent escalation, I could deescalate. A form of chicken, so to speak. I say chicken. Again, my apologies.

So, I thought we might go ahead and try something less caustic. An experiment, if you will; to bring more posters into this oftentimes hostile place and see if we can make it less so.

I am genuinely curious about individual's personal choices regarding vaccination, if we can respectfully share and not introduce the judgement and vitriol. Maybe a baby-step to civility.

I thought about the vaccine long and hard, and my risk-reward calculus (to me and the public) did not require it. The virus struck at the same time I retired. Reducing contact reduces transmission. My normal retirement lifestyle easily accommodates that, and now is messing around a half a dozen acres with a tractor and a chainsaw. Every day is a closet full of "perfect Saturdays" to choose from. Is that a day enjoying the sunshine and mowing a couple of those acres and sipping a few ice cold beers? Smoking a brisket? Is it lounging around, Big Lebowski style, with a White Russian in hand? Whatever it is, I can usually do it. My life is about as close to perfect as it gets. Content is an understatement.

I'm a healthy 50-something. The odds of COVID killing me (and honestly, I believe I had it last year) are astronomically small. I run exponentially greater risk from the tractor and chainsaw, or driving up to the gas station for no-contact with anyone fuel. My immediate family comes and goes, I do drive down to my brother's house (he's retired too, about 15 minutes away) on occasion. I keep masks on hand. When places I go ask to wear one, I do. I generally play the game. The risk I pose or am exposed to is miniscule.

I'm honestly tired of being stuck with "experimental" or "emergency" stuff too. I've had all the standard stuff you get, to include for going overseas. I've had the Anthrax series. I just found a most recent shot record as I was weeding through old paperwork, and apparently was vaccinated for H1N1 too. I had Lyme disease 30-some years ago. The thought of adding one more thing that could lie lurking, and complicating closer to end of life quality and care is an important consideration to me.

My wife is the one who does the social things and runs to town to get groceries, etc... She thought long and hard and chose to get vaccinated, and her risk reward calculus was different. Her concerns are documented. Variations of thrombosis in particular, but she can list a whole bunch that are important to her. She knows her medical history as well as anyone, and it's her body. Ultimately, like in my case too, life. Her view was that her frequency of contact with random people warranted it, for her benefit and theirs. It also mitigates risk in my risk-reward calculus.

I agree with her calculus, and she agrees with mine - even though we didn't get the same answer - because we're reasonable people.

Other's thoughts would be appreciated.
    I couldn't remember how this thread got started, so I went back and looked. We might remind ourselves, before we slip back into accusatory patterns, that this thread was an attempt to break out of that pattern. Rehashing those old argument positions seems particularly futile.

My understanding of the Covid pandemic evolved over time, as did many persons'. As did the virus itself. We will likely, as a nation, treat the next pandemic with a different eye. But everything depends also on what the next contagion is.

Thanks

It was, and it was also futile. We lost mhosea, ethernautrix, dreck and others because of people who are unable to reason. You, Chuck and Chip are what remain. I’m not going to cede the forum to you idiots.

Thanks

cool

Hey, Seney just said the same thing on another thread

hmmm

you guys sure work in tandem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    My understanding of the Covid pandemic evolved over time, as did many persons'. As did the virus itself. We will likely, as a nation, treat the next pandemic with a different eye. But everything depends also on what the next contagion is.
    I'll repeat this, in case anyone is interested in responding on topic.

I'll also add that I expect that the government will respond differently, as long as the contagion is similar. But also in part because--I read--they have a much earlier vaccine response system already established for the next pandemic response. I doubt we will do major lockdowns like we did (my town businesses never fully locked down, actually), but this depends on a contagion not being substantially worse.

Thanks

cool

hmmm

Seney is a woman. 2nd time you have messed up her pronouns. Go do your penance at the rainbow altar of the woke.

And if you really think we’re the same person, I’ll point you to the thread where we were disagreeing about who I did or didn’t call a cunt. It’s a covid one too.

Thanks

cool

hmmm

Seney is a woman. 2nd time you have messed up her pronouns. Go do your penance at the rainbow altar of the woke.

And if you really think we’re the same person, I’ll point you to the thread where we were disagreeing about who I did or didn’t call a cunt. It’s a covid one too.
    Is "guy" a pronoun?

Well, "she" has never declared as much in any answer to my questions, as far as I remember. So that is one tidbit (not relevant much here) that has come out...I hope that "she" is not upset for you revealing this (if in fact "she" is not "you"). I am remarking on the confluence of posts and ideas and language. Interesting echoes and patterns. Could be coincidence, or influence even. Or more. Some of you have liked to assume of others that they are using multiple identities of posters and seem to know a fair amount about it.

I have no idea what else you are referring to here.
    Last edited by TSherbs; June 28th, 2023 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks

I'll repeat this, in case anyone is interested in responding on topic.

I'll also add that I expect that the government will respond differently, as long as the contagion is similar. But also in part because--I read--they have a much earlier vaccine response system already established for the next pandemic response. I doubt we will do major lockdowns like we did (my town businesses never fully locked down, actually), but this depends on a contagion not being substantially worse.
    repeat x2

Thanks

cool

hmmm

Is "guy" a pronoun?

Well, "she" has never declared as much in any answer to my questions, as far as I remember. So that is one tidbit (not relevant much here) that has come out...I hope that "she" is not upset for you revealing this (if in fact "she" is not "you"). I am remarking on the confluence of posts and ideas and language. Interesting echoes and patterns. Could be coincidence, or influence even. Or more. Some of you have liked to assume of others that they are using multiple identities of posters and seem to know a fair amount about it.

Maybe this?

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    [

Why don't you engage a topic that might be more engaging?
    For example, your boy Joe. It is very apparent to me that he is an even more prolific liar than Trump and that he, too, deserves to be jailed for his impeachable offenses.
    But, obviously you do not think so.......
    IMO, that is a discussion worth having. ..
    Good for you. Go to a Biden thread and post away to your heart's content. This thread is on Trump. To complain about Trump posts on a thread about Trump is, shall we say, errant.
    fuck off, Chuck

and I say that in the most non-controlling way

I'm just telling him that his complaining about Trump comments on a Trump thread is misplaced...and 😫.
    As for ‘guys’, I’m not the one making stupid new rules for pronouns. That’s your side. I’m just trying to keep you from being cancelled.

Thanks

cool

hmmm

Is "guy" a pronoun?

Maybe this?

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    [

Why don't you engage a topic that might be more engaging?
    For example, your boy Joe. It is very apparent to me that he is an even more prolific liar than Trump and that he, too, deserves to be jailed for his impeachable offenses.
    But, obviously you do not think so.......
    IMO, that is a discussion worth having. ..
    Good for you. Go to a Biden thread and post away to your heart's content. This thread is on Trump. To complain about Trump posts on a thread about Trump is, shall we say, errant.
    fuck off, Chuck

and I say that in the most non-controlling way

I'm just telling him that his complaining about Trump comments on a Trump thread is misplaced...and 😫.
    As for ‘guys’, I’m not the one making stupid new rules for pronouns. That’s your side. I’m just trying to keep you from being cancelled.
    I don't see any reference to the C-word there....