Thread: The new and improved COVID catch-all thread.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,322 Posts

Default The new and improved COVID catch-all thread.

I readily admit to being just as big of a jackass as anyone on this board. I apologize. I incorrectly believed through consistent escalation, I could deescalate. A form of chicken, so to speak. I say chicken. Again, my apologies.

So, I thought we might go ahead and try something less caustic. An experiment, if you will; to bring more posters into this oftentimes hostile place and see if we can make it less so.

I am genuinely curious about individual's personal choices regarding vaccination, if we can respectfully share and not introduce the judgement and vitriol. Maybe a baby-step to civility.

I thought about the vaccine long and hard, and my risk-reward calculus (to me and the public) did not require it. The virus struck at the same time I retired. Reducing contact reduces transmission. My normal retirement lifestyle easily accommodates that, and now is messing around a half a dozen acres with a tractor and a chainsaw. Every day is a closet full of "perfect Saturdays" to choose from. Is that a day enjoying the sunshine and mowing a couple of those acres and sipping a few ice cold beers? Smoking a brisket? Is it lounging around, Big Lebowski style, with a White Russian in hand? Whatever it is, I can usually do it. My life is about as close to perfect as it gets. Content is an understatement.

I'm a healthy 50-something. The odds of COVID killing me (and honestly, I believe I had it last year) are astronomically small. I run exponentially greater risk from the tractor and chainsaw, or driving up to the gas station for no-contact with anyone fuel. My immediate family comes and goes, I do drive down to my brother's house (he's retired too, about 15 minutes away) on occasion. I keep masks on hand. When places I go ask to wear one, I do. I generally play the game. The risk I pose or am exposed to is miniscule.

I'm honestly tired of being stuck with "experimental" or "emergency" stuff too. I've had all the standard stuff you get, to include for going overseas. I've had the Anthrax series. I just found a most recent shot record as I was weeding through old paperwork, and apparently was vaccinated for H1N1 too. I had Lyme disease 30-some years ago. The thought of adding one more thing that could lie lurking, and complicating closer to end of life quality and care is an important consideration to me.

My wife is the one who does the social things and runs to town to get groceries, etc... She thought long and hard and chose to get vaccinated, and her risk reward calculus was different. Her concerns are documented. Variations of thrombosis in particular, but she can list a whole bunch that are important to her. She knows her medical history as well as anyone, and it's her body. Ultimately, like in my case too, life. Her view was that her frequency of contact with random people warranted it, for her benefit and theirs. It also mitigates risk in my risk-reward calculus.

I agree with her calculus, and she agrees with mine - even though we didn't get the same answer - because we're reasonable people.

Other's thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dneal; September 5th, 2021 at 10:21 AM.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."