Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For flex enthusiasts

Thanks
    Thanked 9,200 Times in 3,406 Posts

Default Re: For flex enthusiasts

I am loving this sweet little one. While my writing is not particularly well-suited to flex nibs, this Swan Leverless has all I would ever need: fine point, moderate spread (to a generous B or so) and quick recovery. That it came from pen friends from afar as a gift from my wife makes it all the more special.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Cyril (September 19th, 2021), Yazeh (September 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,032 Times in 968 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Fine and EF Swan nibs come along all the time, not as common as the mediums but by no means uncommon.
    Not sure if MT pens were ever exported to New Zealand as such, and while I am aware of one or two that have been found in the wild here, I've certainly not seen any. Without a good pen world connection (bar living in an amenable area for looking), there is little chance of finding one.

I am loving this sweet little one. While my writing is not particularly well-suited to flex nibs, this Swan Leverless has all I would ever need: fine point, moderate spread (to a generous B or so) and quick recovery. That it came from pen friends from afar as a gift from my wife makes it all the more special.
    Nice to be so fortunate.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,200 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Nice to be so fortunate.
    MT pens are not as common in the US, either, but I do know that they are more likely to turn up in the UK, and maybe EU. The pen I received could have been purchased by anyone with an internet connection and a browser, because it was picked from their online listings. If there is any good fortune involved, it was meeting a special person 40 years ago and figuring I better not f**k it up.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Except that it was made clear to me a while back that I wouldn't be welcome to access that site. Spouses are more often than not a genuine piece of good fortune.

Thanks

I donít think flexible nibs have to be needlepoints to get lots of variation. One of my favorite types of flex nib is the flexible stub/italic/oblique. A flexible broad stub/italic/oblique can get really wide yet have very fine horizontals or diagonals.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 20th, 2021), eachan (September 19th, 2021), Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2021)

Thanks

True, but if you want to write in flourished Spencerian (or similar) then hairlines are kind of the thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 20th, 2021)

Thanks

For those interested in a follow-up on the Blue-Dew pen please have a look at this LINK Some writing from the hand of an experienced calligrapher. I had raised awareness of this pen (and the one from the US company) on that forum in the hope that one or two of the formidable calligraphers there would give us the benefit of their expert opinion. This is the first one in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 27th, 2021)