Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For flex enthusiasts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default For flex enthusiasts

Dew evaporates, and the sun also rises
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 13th, 2022 at 02:33 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (September 9th, 2021), guyy (September 8th, 2021), Scrawler (February 16th, 2022), Yazeh (September 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Re: For flex enthusiasts

Aaron ships from California: https://aaronpen.com

Thanks

Here is another one:
    The design reminds me of Feriris Wheel Press The nib looks like the Kanwrite Ultraflex: https://thegoodblue.co.uk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Found another video, different maker but looks like same nib.

]
    I notice from their website that they claim the nib will last years, but as they sell replacement nibs I am suspicious of this claim.
    Yeah. I read that too:
    https://www.bluedewpens.com/faqs

Oh and sbrebrown does a review of it:

Last edited by Yazeh; September 9th, 2021 at 09:12 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 11th, 2021), Niels (February 19th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

I wonder if Detman101 will be trying this out, or if he's currently satisfied with his Secretary of de Flex nib.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 11th, 2021), Niels (February 19th, 2022), Yazeh (September 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I'm pretty sure Detman101 got a couple of Blue Dew nibs already.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Those horizontal lines on the tines serve what purpose? Decreasing rigidity?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

This is the main reason that I don't want to get into flex nibs. They look like fun, but I know I'm not going to put in the practice necessary to actually use them correctly. I'll take the shortcut to line variation with a cursive italic nib and be fine with it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to scud80 For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 13th, 2021)

Thanks

Ebonite feeds generally are good at ink supply, but are not good in ink modulation. E.g. burping of ink with eyedropper-conversion.
    I don't think it is accurate to blame the ebonite feeds for burping...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 13th, 2021), Scrawler (February 16th, 2022)

Thanks

I’m not Detman, but i’ve been working on my roundhand. I just use vintage flex and an MB 149 Calligraphy. I’m fairly content with what i have & being willing to splurge on pens, i’m not the target demographic for this pen.

My feelings on this one are that the lack of tipping and plastic feed are a disappointing, but not deal killers. A well-designed plastic feed can work even for a flex nib pen. The question is how well-designed is it. I’m sure Pilot would say the same thing about plastic feeds, plus add that “we’re Pilot, we didn’t become the 800lb gorilla of the Japanese pen market by making crappy products.”. And yet their plastic feeds don’t keep up with their FA nibs when used for Spencerian hands etc. A generic, off the shelf plastic feed probably would be even worse than the Pilot feed.

As for the tipping, the lack of tipping sort of reminds me of the Esterbrook 2128. You do have to use some regular but rhythmic pressure for calligraphy and i’ve seen 2128s worn down to medium stubs. The 9128s are preferable in my book, but then they cost more too. For someone more price sensitive, an untipped nib is a reasonable compromise.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

If this is not a replaceable nib (and I have serious doubts about this), then this could be a game changer for those looking at proper flexible nibs for fountain pens without having to go all vintage and gold and stuff.
    But David, I am sucker for vintage, gold, and flexible nibs
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Detman101 did have something to say over at FPN in regards to modern flex nibs. This is a quote from his posting in the 'Of Nibs & Tines' forum:

"After buying 50 FPR ultraflex nibs, modding nibs for flex, buying a vintage flex pen and trying many others...I've come to the following conclusion.

(My personal opinion)

A+ #1 Bar-None/Best-of-the-absolute-best - MB 149 W/Calligraphy nib (Buy once, cry a few times over 20+ years...but you won't need or desire another flex pen after it)

Very next best - FP Nibs (FPNibs.com) 14k Soft-Flex nib (delicious smooth flex, but gold flex nib is a gusher)

Third best - "Secretary of De Flex" Flex-stub (Not the finest line, but smooth as butter and flexes like vintage. I own and love their XXF flex nib)

All else - Expensive Vintage flex nibs, etc...

Good luck on your path..."

He may hopefully pop in later and comment in regards to the Blue Dew nibs.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Saw this video on the 'Tube and thought it would be of interest to some of the members here.

At first I thought it was another Zebra G nib frankenpen, but the nib looks different (apart from the colour, it doesn't have the cut outs that the G has).

Anyone come across this before, or knows anything more about this?

If this is not a replaceable nib (and I have serious doubts about this), then this could be a game changer for those looking at proper flexible nibs for fountain pens without having to go all vintage and gold and stuff.
    Wow...and now "Blue-Dew" pens has been ripped off.
    These "Aaron Pens" didn't even bother to change the embossed "B" (for "Blue-Dew") on the nib...unbelievable.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    I wonder if Detman101 will be trying this out, or if he's currently satisfied with his Secretary of de Flex nib.
    Hey all, I am owner of two Blue-Dew flex nibs.
    They are out of this world performing flex nibs with Zebra-G performance...without all the rust.
    The reason that my Blue-Dew flex nibs are not my daily drivers is that they are almost needlepoint thinness and I need something that I can write with fast.
    If you write FAST with the Blue-Dew flex nib...you WILL snag the paper! So...that is why, for me, the Secretary-of-De-Flex nib unit is the best middle ground.
    It does XXF-BBB flexing and is smooth enough that it doesn't get snagged up in the paper when you're writing fast notes or using sub-par paper.

But on topic...I'm shocked and amazed that these "aaron pens" bums have straight out taken the "Blue-Dew" nibs and stuck them into a crappy pen body and resold the whole unit as if it's something new!!!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Adicus (March 11th, 2022), guyy (September 11th, 2021), Yazeh (September 12th, 2021)

Thanks

This is a quote from the Bluedew website regarding their nibs.

1. Is the flex nib just another G nib conversion?
    No, definitely not. The nib is designed from ground up, taking inspiration and design elements from the usual #6 nib and dip nibs.

2. What is the flex nib made of?
    The nib is made from stainless steel with spring steel flexibility that do not rust, even with iron gall inks This is in contrast to affordable spring steel dip nibs. Beyond corrosion resistance, the selection criteria included choosing a stainless steel with good spring steel characteristics. It ended up costing more (compared to normal stainless steel nibs) but provided enormous benefit for the added cost.

3. Why is there no nib tipping material on the flex nib?
    Fine lines are more important than fat swells for flex, as they impart beauty and elegance to the writing. A decision was made to omit nib tipping material to achieve a finer line. That said, unless you write on highly abrasive paper, the nib will not wear down as flex writing requires a light hand and slow strokes.

4. Why is the feed plastic and not ebonite?
    A good feed needs to perform 2 functions; firstly to supply ink to the nib, and; secondly, to modulate the flow of ink. Ebonite feeds generally are good at ink supply, but are not good in ink modulation. E.g. burping of ink with eyedropper-conversion.

To meet the ink flow requirement for flex writing, I have designed 2 things. Firstly, the “B” embossed on the nib will pool a small amount of ink on the underside of the nib right behind the breather hole, and can work as a buffer reservoir for flexing swells. Secondly, the nib wraps around the feed closely as opposed to flared nib shoulders, keeping ink among the fins to provide additional ink when required.
    Thoughts on this? I am considering get a couple of the replacement nib units to check them out - perhaps a long term corrosion test alongside a comparison with other dip nibs (I have quite a few!).
    1. Definitely a use of older dip-pen design notes...hence the horizontal lines across the tines (which increase flex-ability when using steel). It does perform like a Zebra-G nib...without needing to dip it though...hehe.
    2. Yep, steel...and it doesnt get blown-out easily either.
    3. Yep...no tipping..just like a dip nib. And just like a dip-nib, this BD nib starts out with hair-thin size lines and flexes to BBB width. I wish I had bought these before I spent +$300 getting that F-C flex nib modded by Gena Salorino.
    4. The feed is plastic because the ink-conducting properties of the BD nib make it quite a gusher. The plastic feed serves to regulate the ink flow so that you can use it without dumping ink all over the page.

Now...I use my BD nib with an ebonite nib, but it's the same ebonite nib that was chemically altered and does not conduct ink like it once did. That ebonite feed works more like a plastic feed and is perfect for my BD nib...situated in a Penbbs-487 with "Sailor - Manyo Nadeshiko" ink to get beautiful shading. It's taken about 4-5 months to find the right combination of feed, pen and ink to get the absolute best out of my Blue-Dew flex nibs.
    Last edited by Detman101; September 11th, 2021 at 04:10 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Adicus (March 11th, 2022)

Thanks

I don't know if that is the case, Detman101. The nibs appear to be the brainchild of someone (Jeffery, I think) over at Blue-Dew in Singapore. If Aaron's Pens are using the same nib I have to conclude that they are buying them in from Blue-Dew. I have no evidence to the contrary.

@guyy, according to the video by Brown, the feed is actually ebonite. As far as tipping is concerned, it is an issue with vintage dip nibs, but the practice IIRC was to regrind a worn nib with a bit of an abrasive material. Not sure how many calligraphers still do that though.

Edit to add: I posted this topic on a calligraphy forum and some members are going to try them out and report back. Bear in mind that these members are pointed pen calligraphers so won't be phased by the lack of tipping. My guess is that they'll be concentrating on hairlines, swells and ink flow.
    Hmmm...interesting. I certainly hope that Blue-Dew is selling the nibs to these other flankers...not just getting ripped off. Jeffery Lim is a smart guy, I'm sure he will end up on top.

Ebonite? How in the world did SBRE get an ebonite feed in the one he tested?? I have looked at the feeds that came in the 2-unit purchase I made...and the ones I received were indeed plastic...and they melt when set to flame, unlike ebonite...which burns.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in how the replies at the calligraphy forum turn out. Blue Dew are great nibs and like I said...I had to shell out almost $400 to get the same nib performance by a nibmeister.
    The Blue-Dew nibs cost me $30.

Like they say...Hindsight is 20/20

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for your input Detman101, there are certainly questions to be asked of these nib.

Did you use the BD nibs in their original housing or swap the nib and feed into something else?

I'm not going to agree or disagree with your 'best of' list, except to say that it appears that FP users are satisfied with something a bit different to pointed pen calligraphers. A distinction rather than a criticism.
    Anytime, I fully understand where everyone stands. These BD nibs are not widely known or used outside of the instagram calligraphy community.
    It's not even my #1 nib choice anymore now that I'm with SODF.

To answer your question, I used the BD nibs in their original housing to start with. I still have the original housings saved, however I use them in Penbbs Pens with Ebonite Penbbs Units from Flexible Nib Factory (FnF).
    Mainly because that is what I am used to and all of my pens have FnF ebonite feeds/housings. The original plastic BD housings worked just fine when I first received them.

Not a problem, that list was formulated to respond to another question on another fountain-pen forum. It is in no way expected to be a definitive answer for anyone other than myself.

Thanks

I'm not going to agree or disagree with your 'best of' list, except to say that it appears that FP users are satisfied with something a bit different to pointed pen calligraphers. A distinction rather than a criticism.
    I get what you’re saying, EoC. I would just add that i’m writing — or rather, trying, or learning to write — the same hands, but choosing a different tool. I suppose a purist might say “but you can’t, not with that pen.” If and when i gain a modicum of mastery, i may want to ditch the tipped fountain pens for something with finer hairlines and more variation. Maybe, maybe not. After all, there are calligraphers far more proficient than i using fountain pens.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2021), Yazeh (September 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

FP users are satisfied with something a bit different to pointed pen calligraphers. A distinction rather than a criticism.
    It's more than that.

Even among FP users, the list of things that satisfy in terms of flexible nibs and their usage -- to remain focused on the topic at hand -- could be different from person to person.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2021), guyy (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Are the Flexible Nib Factory feed/housing for the Zebra G dip nibs good? I'll probably pick one up just to play with it a bit, but I'm curious where that falls on the flex quality spectrum.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to scud80 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2021)