Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For flex enthusiasts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default For flex enthusiasts

Dew evaporates, and the sun also rises
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 13th, 2022 at 02:33 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (September 9th, 2021), guyy (September 8th, 2021), Scrawler (February 16th, 2022), Yazeh (September 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,270 Posts

Default Re: For flex enthusiasts

Aaron ships from California: https://aaronpen.com

Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,270 Posts

Here is another one:
    The design reminds me of Feriris Wheel Press The nib looks like the Kanwrite Ultraflex: https://thegoodblue.co.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 434 Posts

I wonder if Detman101 will be trying this out, or if he's currently satisfied with his Secretary of de Flex nib.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 11th, 2021), Niels (February 19th, 2022), Yazeh (September 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    I wonder if Detman101 will be trying this out, or if he's currently satisfied with his Secretary of de Flex nib.
    Hey all, I am owner of two Blue-Dew flex nibs.
    They are out of this world performing flex nibs with Zebra-G performance...without all the rust.
    The reason that my Blue-Dew flex nibs are not my daily drivers is that they are almost needlepoint thinness and I need something that I can write with fast.
    If you write FAST with the Blue-Dew flex nib...you WILL snag the paper! So...that is why, for me, the Secretary-of-De-Flex nib unit is the best middle ground.
    It does XXF-BBB flexing and is smooth enough that it doesn't get snagged up in the paper when you're writing fast notes or using sub-par paper.

But on topic...I'm shocked and amazed that these "aaron pens" bums have straight out taken the "Blue-Dew" nibs and stuck them into a crappy pen body and resold the whole unit as if it's something new!!!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Adicus (March 11th, 2022), guyy (September 11th, 2021), Yazeh (September 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,260 Posts

I'm pretty sure Detman101 got a couple of Blue Dew nibs already.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Those horizontal lines on the tines serve what purpose? Decreasing rigidity?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

This is the main reason that I don't want to get into flex nibs. They look like fun, but I know I'm not going to put in the practice necessary to actually use them correctly. I'll take the shortcut to line variation with a cursive italic nib and be fine with it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to scud80 For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 13th, 2021)

Thanks

I’m not Detman, but i’ve been working on my roundhand. I just use vintage flex and an MB 149 Calligraphy. I’m fairly content with what i have & being willing to splurge on pens, i’m not the target demographic for this pen.

My feelings on this one are that the lack of tipping and plastic feed are a disappointing, but not deal killers. A well-designed plastic feed can work even for a flex nib pen. The question is how well-designed is it. I’m sure Pilot would say the same thing about plastic feeds, plus add that “we’re Pilot, we didn’t become the 800lb gorilla of the Japanese pen market by making crappy products.”. And yet their plastic feeds don’t keep up with their FA nibs when used for Spencerian hands etc. A generic, off the shelf plastic feed probably would be even worse than the Pilot feed.

As for the tipping, the lack of tipping sort of reminds me of the Esterbrook 2128. You do have to use some regular but rhythmic pressure for calligraphy and i’ve seen 2128s worn down to medium stubs. The 9128s are preferable in my book, but then they cost more too. For someone more price sensitive, an untipped nib is a reasonable compromise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,728 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    If this is not a replaceable nib (and I have serious doubts about this), then this could be a game changer for those looking at proper flexible nibs for fountain pens without having to go all vintage and gold and stuff.
    But David, I am sucker for vintage, gold, and flexible nibs
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 434 Posts

Detman101 did have something to say over at FPN in regards to modern flex nibs. This is a quote from his posting in the 'Of Nibs & Tines' forum:

"After buying 50 FPR ultraflex nibs, modding nibs for flex, buying a vintage flex pen and trying many others...I've come to the following conclusion.

(My personal opinion)

A+ #1 Bar-None/Best-of-the-absolute-best - MB 149 W/Calligraphy nib (Buy once, cry a few times over 20+ years...but you won't need or desire another flex pen after it)

Very next best - FP Nibs (FPNibs.com) 14k Soft-Flex nib (delicious smooth flex, but gold flex nib is a gusher)

Third best - "Secretary of De Flex" Flex-stub (Not the finest line, but smooth as butter and flexes like vintage. I own and love their XXF flex nib)

All else - Expensive Vintage flex nibs, etc...

Good luck on your path..."

He may hopefully pop in later and comment in regards to the Blue Dew nibs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Saw this video on the 'Tube and thought it would be of interest to some of the members here.

At first I thought it was another Zebra G nib frankenpen, but the nib looks different (apart from the colour, it doesn't have the cut outs that the G has).

Anyone come across this before, or knows anything more about this?

If this is not a replaceable nib (and I have serious doubts about this), then this could be a game changer for those looking at proper flexible nibs for fountain pens without having to go all vintage and gold and stuff.
    Wow...and now "Blue-Dew" pens has been ripped off.
    These "Aaron Pens" didn't even bother to change the embossed "B" (for "Blue-Dew") on the nib...unbelievable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Wow...and now "Blue-Dew" pens has been ripped off.
    These "Aaron Pens" didn't even bother to change the embossed "B" (for "Blue-Dew") on the nib...unbelievable.
    Perry and Co. must be even more livid...

Perry_pens_ad_1893.jpg

Apparently that's from 1893, so pre-dates the Blue-Dew just a leetle bit.

Honestly, I see these things and it looks like a dip nib, walks like a dip dip and quacks like a dip nib, so I'm genuinely confused why anyone would think it's not a dip nib?
    Last edited by grainweevil; September 12th, 2021 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Errant "at"
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2021), dneal (September 13th, 2021), eachan (September 12th, 2021), fountainpenkid (September 12th, 2021), junglejim (September 12th, 2021), Seattleite (September 14th, 2021), Yazeh (September 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Are the Flexible Nib Factory feed/housing for the Zebra G dip nibs good? I'll probably pick one up just to play with it a bit, but I'm curious where that falls on the flex quality spectrum.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to scud80 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scud80 View Post
    Are the Flexible Nib Factory feed/housing for the Zebra G dip nibs good? I'll probably pick one up just to play with it a bit, but I'm curious where that falls on the flex quality spectrum.
    Of all the Zebra G housings, it's the one I've had the best results with - simply because it's been made for it rather than just modified from other bits, and the ebonite is very high quality. It also doesn't require any nib bending to make them fit. If you're happy with a Zebra G, it should work fine for you. You do still need to pull the nib and clean/dry it after use if you want to maximise its life, however, and it still won't last for long - it's not really designed to though. It can't be compared to a vintage nib, but it has its place, especially for practice!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scud80 View Post
    They are indeed good, better than a plastic feed. You won't have any issues with ink starvation when writing long passages of text when you're running the FNF Ebonite feeds.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I bought a NOS Mabie Todd Blackbird (still had the price tag: 14 shilling/8 pence) with a new bladder from FPG's own Deb. It has a full flex nib made of 14K, writes absolutely beautifully, and cost me about the same as a steel-nibbed Blue-Dew pen would cost. (Inflation, you know -- 14/8 is just under 75p if you convert shillings and pence to new pence.) It's a gorgeous marbled green celluloid, too.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

eachan (September 17th, 2021), fountainpenkid (September 17th, 2021), manoeuver (December 22nd, 2021), Yazeh (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I bought a NOS Mabie Todd Blackbird (still had the price tag: 14 shilling/8 pence) with a new bladder from FPG's own Deb. It has a full flex nib made of 14K, writes absolutely beautifully, and cost me about the same as a steel-nibbed Blue-Dew pen would cost. (Inflation, you know -- 14/8 is just under 75p if you convert shillings and pence to new pence.) It's a gorgeous marbled green celluloid, too.
    Very pleased you like it, Calamus. Mabie Todd are rightly famous for their nibs.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Robalone (December 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    How nice! Congrats! I purchased my 1905 Mabie Todd Swan from Deb as well. She walked me through the process of selecting a vintage pen and their selection is amazing. This Mabie Todd Swan is an elegant pen with engraved gold collars and with great flex, but far too small for my large hands. It's the star of my collection however.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

eachan (September 17th, 2021), Robalone (December 24th, 2021), Yazeh (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks

Fine and EF Swan nibs come along all the time, not as common as the mediums but by no means uncommon.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Robalone (December 24th, 2021)