Thread: Letter from 1882

Thanks

Default Letter from 1882

This letter was written by a Master at a boys school in Philadelphia in 1882, I think that it is remarkable, perfect downstrokes and all in parallel, right and left margins are perfect, every loop, every curve is considered and excellent.

I think that that letter is easy to read but then again I have been admiring it for a little too long, it reads:

'Phila November 19 1882

Dear Sir,

It affords me much pleasure to report that your son is making fine progress in his penmanship and that his general deportment is that of a gentleman'

140 years on and these remain worthy goals.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 10th, 2021), Brilliant Bill (September 10th, 2021), carlos.q (September 10th, 2021), Cyril (February 5th, 2022), eachan (September 10th, 2021), FredRydr (September 10th, 2021), guyy (September 10th, 2021), Jon Szanto (September 10th, 2021), junglejim (September 10th, 2021), Kaputnik (September 10th, 2021), penwash (September 10th, 2021), Robert (September 10th, 2021), Stands on Feet (September 10th, 2021), Yazeh (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default Re: Letter from 1882

Translated into today:

Phila., Nov. 19, 2021

Dear Sir,

FYI, your son is achieving one of the highest placement at the latest gaming-league competitions.
    Tbh, this pleases me to no end.
    And btw, his general mannerism truly befits a cyber-scholar.

Peace,
    N. M. Morris

Send via Goggle Adroit
    Last edited by penwash; September 10th, 2021 at 07:53 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (September 11th, 2021), Fermata (September 10th, 2021), Jon Szanto (September 10th, 2021), Kaputnik (September 10th, 2021), Yazeh (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Translated into today:

Phila., Nov. 19, 2021

Dear Sir,

FYI, your son is achieving one of the highest placement at the latest gaming-league competitions.
    Tbh, this pleases me to no end.
    And btw, his general mannerism truly befits a cyber-scholar.

Peace,
    N. M. Morris
    P.S. But when he texts, his spelling is atrocious and I can't read a thing he writes with his ballpoint.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (September 11th, 2021), Yazeh (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I wonder how many times he composed this to get such perfect layout.

Also wonder why no dash after "ma" in the word making, yet there is a dash in "gentleman."

And, personal question -- is "fermata" simply a musical reference or also to the Nicholson Baker novel?
    Last edited by Brilliant Bill; September 10th, 2021 at 02:52 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Fermata (September 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

The only comments I can recall were remarks from my 6th-grade teacher on my report card. She told my parents that I was doing very well in all my studies, but could they do something about my tapping on the desk with my fingers, as it seems I never would stop doing that.

I'm now in the process of winding up a 50-year career in percussion, so it's probably all a wash at this point.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (September 10th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (September 11th, 2021), Cyril (February 5th, 2022), manoeuver (September 11th, 2021), Yazeh (September 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

Also wonder why no dash after "ma" in the work making, yet there is a dash in "gentleman."

And, personal question -- is "fermata" simply a musical reference or also to the Nicholson Baker novel?
    The absence of the dash on ma-king relates to the number of letters prior to the break. When I was taught to write this was the instruction including making the break in the word for the next line which went along with having a pencilled one inch margin on both sides of the page, I wonder if anyone still does this today.

What is also impressive is that the letter is perfectly aligned and on plain paper, I think that people also used round rulers at this time. I am not surprised that the owner kept and preserved this letter for so many years.

Fermata relates to the musical term pause, a reminder to myself.

eta

I have looked into the novel Fermata, it looks quite spicy. For the sake of others (perhaps a cautionary note) it is about a man who finds that he can pause time in order to have intimate knowledge of others. Most roguish men simply employ a good dinner and a bottle of Malbec.
    Last edited by Fermata; September 10th, 2021 at 02:29 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (September 10th, 2021), Jon Szanto (September 10th, 2021), Yazeh (September 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

Also wonder why no dash after "ma" in the work making, yet there is a dash in "gentleman."

The absence of the dash on ma-king relates to the number of letters prior to the break. When I was taught to write this was the instruction including making the break in the word for the next line which went along with having a pencilled one inch margin on both sides of the page, I wonder if anyone still does this today.

What is also impressive is that the letter is perfectly aligned and on plain paper, I think that people also used round rulers at this time. I am not surprised that the owner kept and preserved this letter for so many years.

Fermata relates to the musical term pause, a reminder to myself.

eta

I have looked into the novel Fermata, it looks quite spicy. For the sake of others (perhaps a cautionary note) it is about a man who finds that he can pause time in order to have intimate knowledge of others. Most roguish men simply employ a good dinner and a bottle of Malbec.

One of the best things I've ever seen written here! Huge smile on my time-wracked face!! Thanks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Fermata (September 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The only comments I can recall were remarks from my 6th-grade teacher on my report card. She told my parents that I was doing very well in all my studies, but could they do something about my tapping on the desk with my fingers, as it seems I never would stop doing that.

I'm now in the process of winding up a 50-year career in percussion, so it's probably all a wash at this point.
    So, the beat doesn't go on????

Last edited by Brilliant Bill; September 10th, 2021 at 03:19 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 12th, 2021)

Thanks

There were great masters in writing. This traditions is still living but it is not very popular in our time and in educational system. It is kind of drying down at the face of technology.
    Fortunately there are many associations of writing Guilds, IAMPETH ( International Associations of master penmanship ... ) to keep the tradition going to encourage writing using Ink and writing instruments .
    I am glad there are so many practicing this as a hobby or passion and some are doing to gain income at the same time.
    Last edited by Cyril; April 27th, 2022 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks

I am always impressed by writing like this. Is it a form of continuous writing like Spencerian? There seem to have been similar scripts in use at the time, but the N and the I is suspiciously Spencerian. A teacher in penmanship at the time would likely have to up their standard from the average. It is a very nice script when you get the shading and ornametal in place. I wonder which type of nib he used ;- )