Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Political Tribalism

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanks
    306
    Thanked 527 Times in 353 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    We need to realize the enemy is the government and not our neighbor.
    What do you mean by this?

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    The government is the one with authority deligated from God not the individual. We need to hold our government to its constitutional standards in order to bless/love our neighbors and restore the common good. From my vantage both major political parties fall short (not to the same degree) but I believe the country could come together under a Bible worldview for a better unified tomorrow.
    The Constitution is a human construct.

    The US constitution has not always blessed. Consider forced migration of Africans, females, Asian peoples, and religious groups.

    The scriptures were used to prevent racial and gender rights.

    How do you explain?

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 87 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    As it is written we submit to the earthly authorities God has placed above us (Biden/Trump/Supreme Court) however the constitution is true magistrate of our country. However all of this is under the Supreme magistrate.

    So we live peacefully in our system with one another unless it is at odds with the King of Kings.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 184 Times in 74 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    One of the most stunning instances of political tribalism was the 2000 decision by Justices Kennedy, O'Connor, Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas to hand over the Florida electoral vote to George W. Bush, despite compelling evidence that Gore was the legitimate winner. That criminally partisan act put a bumbling fool in the White House for two terms and contributed to two disastrous wars, billions in waste and theft for "defense" and "homeland security," vast environmental destruction, and the present climate crisis, among other ills.

    Was that the design of a just and compassionate god?

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    One of the most stunning instances of political tribalism was the 2000 decision by Justices Kennedy, O'Connor, Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas to hand over the Florida electoral vote to George W. Bush, despite compelling evidence that Gore was the legitimate winner. That criminally partisan act put a bumbling fool in the White House for two terms and contributed to two disastrous wars, billions in waste and theft for "defense" and "homeland security," vast environmental destruction, and the present climate crisis, among other ills.

    Was that the design of a just and compassionate god?
    That ruling hurt some of us, but I don't agree that there was "compelling evidence" that Gore was the winner. Part of what makes the SC look "tribal" is that everything is a "yay-nay" vote: every ruling is expressed in polar positions, and many rulings show a pattern of voting blocks among the justices.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 87 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    He who is perfectly just and the most long suffering permitted it

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    As it is written we submit to the earthly authorities God has placed above us (Biden/Trump/Supreme Court) however the constitution is true magistrate of our country. However all of this is under the Supreme magistrate.

    So we live peacefully in our system with one another unless it is at odds with the King of Kings.
    You wrote that "government is the enemy." I don't see how you get from these religious statements to "government is the enemy." Our government, after all, is the collective will of the people through a representative democracy. Explain again how "government is the enemy"?

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 87 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Our current government leaders in general are the enemy because the donít follow the constitution and are actively legislating against Godís law

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Our current government leaders in general are the enemy because the donít follow the constitution and are actively legislating against Godís law
    But, in the other circumstance above, you said that God, the "perfectly just," permitted it. In other words, every thing that is, exists only through God's permission. So, God permits this government, and all governments, to be and to make action (law). You seem like you are unevenly applying your religious logic here. Can you clarify, please?

    Or is your point that all non-theocracies are "enemies of God"?

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    He who is perfectly just and the most long suffering permitted it
    cf, this was your response to the SC ruling in 2000

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 87 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    He didnít stop the Israelites from making the golden calf (on more than one occasion) but He held them responsible. Itís like consequence based parenting

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    He didnít stop the Israelites from making the golden calf (on more than one occasion) but He held them responsible. Itís like consequence based parenting
    Well, that story never happened in real life, so "holding them responsible" never happened either.

    Sometimes the real "enemy" is the purveyor of falsehood with the smiling face of certainty.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 87 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    He didnít stop the Israelites from making the golden calf (on more than one occasion) but He held them responsible. Itís like consequence based parenting

    Sometimes the real "enemy" is the purveyor of falsehood with the smiling face of certainty.
    Well said sir. Have a blessed Lords Day

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    He didnít stop the Israelites from making the golden calf (on more than one occasion) but He held them responsible. Itís like consequence based parenting

    Sometimes the real "enemy" is the purveyor of falsehood with the smiling face of certainty.
    Well said sir. Have a blessed Lords Day
    Enjoy your Sabbath, free from "work." Should you even be visiting this site and typing on the Sabbath?

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 191 Times in 149 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    He didnít stop the Israelites from making the golden calf (on more than one occasion) but He held them responsible. Itís like consequence based parenting

    Sometimes the real "enemy" is the purveyor of falsehood with the smiling face of certainty.
    Well said sir. Have a blessed Lords Day
    Enjoy your Sabbath, free from "work." Should you even be visiting this site and typing on the Sabbath?
    TS-
    Little touchy today?
    First you take a shot at the Old Testament.
    Then you miss the point of Bold2013's edit: you're the purveyor.
    Then you misapply the OT.
    Must be one of those things you don't read.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 184 Times in 74 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    This is a lovely example of what philosophers call theodicy: the assertion of divine goodness and providence in view of the existence of evil, suffering, malice, etc. Rather like trying to bail the Titanic with a teaspoon.

    The old testament? It is certainly old. Also rather confused, morally speaking.

    The lord's day? Your belief, not mine.

    The earth rolls, the sun shines, streams flow, the winds blow: my gods are always at work.

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    The old testament? It is certainly old. Also rather confused, morally speaking.
    .
    It's quite confused, historically speaking, too.

    Not a solid document to base one's idea of government on. Unless you're looking to bring back all sorts of barbaric practices.



    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    kazoolaw (October 10th, 2021)

  18. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 191 Times in 149 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Political Tribalism

    So appears theological/philosophical/religious tribalism.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

    dneal (October 10th, 2021)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •