Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Tribalism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Default Political Tribalism

Some years ago a conservative leaning person wrote an essay on Tribes. It was in response to Hurricane Katrina, and was just really venting his frustration at the disfunctionality and blaming. Still, there are many poignant themes he gets right. The "tribes" metaphor is apt to a large extent.

This morning I watched this 8-ish minute clip. They're describing current society in terms of tribes, in the context of a study about current political tribalism (primarily in the U.S.). I found it worthwhile.

I was curious about the study they mentioned briefly, and found the .pdf here. I've skimmed it (it's 150 pages, but not terribly long and has a lot of charts). There's plenty to debate, and sociological research based on polling is inherently problematic simply because it attempts to generalize unique individuals into categories. It becomes a bit like reading horoscopes instead of using your birthday to figure out what your astrological sign is... Depending on the topic, I'm anywhere between traditional liberal and traditional conservative. I'm patriotic, but not religious, for example; so what group am I in? I suspect others will have similar problems, but it's still interesting enough that I'll give it a more thorough look.

I would be interested to read your thoughts, and there are lots of sub-topics because it is an incredibly complex issue. I would recommend starting with the video, and moving on to the written pieces only if you're really interested.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Default Re: Political Tribalism

I really don’t think you have a clue

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I really don’t think you have a clue. After all, you chose not to vote.

Thanks

Chuck - I posted two threads, one immediately following the other.

One was this thread. Like my responses to EoC (who said he wanted thoughtful discussion in the Malone discussion), there's plenty of opportunity for opposing views. What did I get? A link and crickets (until your responses).

The other was the "Trump was right" thread. Nothing but an assertion, but "inflammatory" simply because it had the orange one's name in it. A troll thread, or troll bait?

Who responded to which thread, when presented the option? Manner of response?

It's telling.

Thanks

Was your intent to troll ?

You didn’t vote and didn’t vote for Trump. Why even start a thread unless you’re fishing. We all know your game. 😂😂

Thanks

Sorry Chuck. You’ve already outed yourself.

Thanks

Man, what a waste of time. 😢

Thanks

For EoC, TSherbs and Chuck.

Topic is still here. Political Tribalism. 8 minutes of your time, playing in the background while you make coffee or something anyway.

There's a document linked, for those that like that sort of thing. I've certainly posted enough text to offer an initial opinion easily open to critique.

Do you guys want conversation or not?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Just to be clear: not with you, no.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks

No need to clarify, it has been apparent for some time now.

Thanks

So, nonsense aside, I came across this and thought I would share. Perhaps we all need a lesson in the art of disagreement. I feel, unlike @dneal, there is no win attempt or requirement. When you consider Lewis was a WW1 survivor, it may have allowed him to savior rather than battle his opponents of debate.
    https://isi.org/intercollegiate-revi...-disagreement/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    So, nonsense aside, I came across this and thought I would share. Perhaps we all need a lesson in the art of disagreement. I feel, unlike @dneal, there is no win attempt or requirement. When you consider Lewis was a WW1 survivor, it may have allowed him to savior rather than battle his opponents of debate.
    https://isi.org/intercollegiate-revi...-disagreement/
    Thanks for this. In the spirit of the article, and in relevant connection to its thesis, I will say, "Sir, I disagree with it."

But since I disagree with the premise of the primacy of disputation, I will not dispute it.

Thanks

Chuck, I don't know how many times I've told you I'm not interested in "winning". That would be easy. I'd just post some nonsense, a link, and harrumph to myself and declare victory. There are no refs or scoreboards here. No one can win unless they assume they have or another admits defeat. It's an Internet forum. There is no prize for "winning".

I've been around here a bit longer than you, but we've actually had very good discussions here - until someone with low emotional stability gets triggered. The Post Your Contentious Virus Posts Here thread did relatively fine. It's curious who the first troll was to show up though (hint: see post #4).

Even better was RNHC's Definition of Christian thread. It wasn't until the denominational zealots showed up that it went wrong, but not badly.

Now look at Corniche's I Can't Fathom This Election thread. Didn't make it past the first post. No one was able to comment on Trump's policies - just the routine nonsensical smears. I was genuinely interested. I offered examples, even for our international friends. NATO spending, for example. And the mob came rushing out of their echo-chamber...

Aside from your attempt to insult and disrupt (post #2), I assume you still haven't watched or listened. It already addresses the issue of why we can't have discussion. When you are willing to spend some time (8 minutes and 48 seconds), I'll read your C.S. Lewis link.
    Last edited by dneal; October 6th, 2021 at 01:35 PM. Reason: apparently Apple thinks it can make links correctly. It can't...

Thanks

I don’t watch or listen to videos.

Your vernacular says you think it’s a game and winning is important.

In the “definition of a Christian” you got yourself into a pissing contest with EOC.

In the 2020 these you tried to conflate influenza with Covid-19.

The November 2020 thread is were you stated popular vote was not important and previous, acted like you knew more than most Americans.

So, perhaps it’s soothing to post.

My only reason for posting it to provide an alternative view.

Thanks

Ok, i dont read links then. Thanks for playing.

Thanks

That’s fine with me, but did you just make that decision?

Videos require more time.

Instead of just posting a video with arrogant expectations, give us the “cliff notes” version. Are you familiar with “cliff notes”?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    That’s fine with me, but did you just make that decision?

Videos require more time.

Instead of just posting a video with arrogant expectations, give us the “cliff notes” version. Are you familiar with “cliff notes”?
    I know what they are, but I read the entire book instead. Since you're familiar, I assume you use them regularly? It would explain much.

Anyway, if you look around that picture of the video, you'll see more of these strange characters before and after. Maybe there's something in there.

I am a little incredulous that you don't have 9 minutes to spare listening. How in the world are you doing so much reading? Hell, you probably spent more time looking through the other threads, just to come up with a nonsense description/characterization that focused on me. You forgot to insert some variation of "TRUMPIST!!!", by the way.

You don't have to watch - it's just two Ph.D.'s in biology describing their environment now that everybody is an expert on "science", and how conversation has become impossible because most everyone is divided into tribes. You like listening to intelligent people converse, I seem to remember you saying. There are two demonstrably intelligent people having a conversation. Under 10 minutes, and you wasted much more time than that making excuses about why you won't watch/listen. Color me surprised.
    Last edited by dneal; October 6th, 2021 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

Why get pissed because I don’t bend to your will? That’s rather immature or self centered.

I read to learn. I don’t waste time with your video posts because I don’t respect your ability to post something objective.

Thanks

Chuck, I don’t care enough about any of this to ”get pissed”, bend you to my will, or whatever delusion you come up with next.

So keep wasting time telling me how you’re not going to waste time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

My friend Greg Nagan wrote a blog post on this subject yesterday. Actually, it's about "(a) project at the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics has been looking into the polarization of American culture and politics in the hopes of finding an antidote" and cites the results of a poll (which findings might or might not be properly substantiated but are interesting nevertheless -- and alarming if true).

https://www.amerikansketilstande.dk/...ican-bogeymen/

Greg concludes, for those not interested in following links, that the political divide won't be mended by the political machinery (including media) but by individuals who overcome the relentless messaging from the "machine." (That's totally my quick and careless paraphrasing, btw. Łapa wants to go out. Biedna Łapa!)
    Last edited by ethernautrix; October 7th, 2021 at 04:18 AM.