Thread: Ink Review: Pilot Iroshizuku yu-yake (Sunset)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Ink Review: Pilot Iroshizuku yu-yake (Sunset)

Today I’m reviewing Pilot Iroshizuku yu-yake ink.

“The name "iroshizuku" is a combination of the Japanese words "iro" (colouring) expressing high standards and variation of colours, and "shizuku" (droplet), which embodies the very image of dripping water. Each ink name derives from the expressions of beautiful Japanese natural landscapes and plants, all of which contribute to the depth of each individual hue. Enjoy Japan's rich and subtle colour aesthetic as you write. PILOT has always manufactured its own inks, which are renowned throughout the world.” Source: Pilot.

From Japanese yu-yake translates to Sunset and it is just like a Japanese sunset.

Yu-yake is an orange that leans more red than yellow and is easily readable though unsaturated.

It didn’t suffer from any hard starts or non-starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance.

It dried within 20 seconds on the Clairefontaine Triomphe paper and didn’t smear after it was dry.

I like this shade of orange and found yu-yake a very well behaved ink.

Available in attractive Pilot Iroshizuku 50ml and mini 15ml glass bottles from many outlets worldwide. Thanks to The Writing Desk for my sample.

• Flow Rate: Very good - wet.
    • Lubrication: Very smooth - felt nicely lubricated.
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Start-up: Immediate.
    • Saturation: Not saturated
    • Shading Potential: Some nice shading seen.
    • Show-Through: Some seen on papers I used but nothing particularly bad.
    • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None seen.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen.
    • Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - easy clean-up.
    • Staining (hands): Washed off of my hands easily.
    • Clogging: Not seen.
    • Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, and shows no water resistance.

P.I. yu yake 2.jpg
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 16th, 2021), damfino (September 17th, 2021), Detman101 (September 17th, 2021), DrPenfection (September 17th, 2021), elaineb (September 17th, 2021), guyy (September 16th, 2021), junglejim (September 17th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 17th, 2021), Yazeh (September 16th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Pilot Iroshizuku yu-yake (Sunset)

Thanks Chrissy for a fab review... Not my cup of tea...
    Now I'm starting to believe that sunsets are different in Japan than over here...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

Thanks Chrissy - great review. I love Yu-yake and use it a lot. I particularly like that it works well in even finer nibs without darkening or becoming too light to be illegible.

I just wish these weren't such a silly price in the UK!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thanks Chrissy - great review. I love Yu-yake and use it a lot. I particularly like that it works well in even finer nibs without darkening or becoming too light to be illegible.

I'm curious to know what you use it for. I like the color and the qualities Chrissy identified, but i'm not sure how much use it would get.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Now I'm starting to believe that sunsets are different in Japan than over here...
    I always had a hard time seeing the sunset in Montreal. Wrong side of the mountain.

Here in Brooklyn i get a good view and there is often an orange glow after the sun sets. I saw the same orange from the beach when i lived in Japan.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I always had a hard time seeing the sunset in Montreal. Wrong side of the mountain.

Here in Brooklyn i get a good view and there is often an orange glow after the sun sets. I saw the same orange from the beach when i lived in Japan.
    That must have been something guyy.
    I've seen that orange glow in many place, the orange glow happens, in fall, when all the trees are ablaze, In a month or so when the maple turn into fire, the serviceberry into copper.. then sunset, if there is one, is often glorious....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

I'm curious to know what you use it for. I like the color and the qualities Chrissy identified, but i'm not sure how much use it would get.
    I use a LOT of orange inks - when I look through my swatch books, I'm sometimes surprised just how many I have. However, I like and use all sorts of weird and wonderful colours. Most of my writing is either for myself or for my far from conventional business, and colourful inks rather suit it in a way the more sober ones wouldn't. I have sensible inks too, and even some sensible pens to put them in, but they're used for different things, or just because I'm having one of my occasional moments of trying to pretend I'm a real grown-up rather than just being a bit bewildered about how I've managed to rack up quite so many years whilst still thinking I'm not even middle-aged yet.

I do also do a lot of doodling, sketching and even the odd bit of proper drawing with my inks, as well as some proper calligraphy when my rather dodgy bones and joints will let me, and these are the sorts of colours that can work brilliantly both neat and in washes.

As for sunsets, I'm more used to them being pinker and redder - more like the old Caran d'Ache Sunset rather than quite so orange. Though we do get a decent green flash from time to time when I'm home on the beach.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 17th, 2021), DrPenfection (September 17th, 2021), guyy (September 16th, 2021), Yazeh (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks

As orange inks go I prefer to write with those that lean slightly more red than yellow and are easily legible.
    Sadly PI 50ml bottles tend to be very expensive in the UK. In the distant past I have found the occasional bargain bottle on Amazon but they seem to have long gone. However, occasionally you may still find some colours are less expensive than others.
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 17th, 2021 at 01:55 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (September 17th, 2021), Yazeh (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 697 Posts

Thank you for the great review, Chrissy! This is one of my favorite inks. Interestingly, I do not care for most orange "things", but when it comes to ink, I love orange inks. Yu-yake behaves very well in every pen I have used it on. It does feather a bit on inexpensive paper, but for me it is a terrific ink.

I live in the land of gorgeous sunsets. It is not unusual for me to take my camera out about 20 minutes before sunset, up to one of the hills above my house and shoot the sunsets. That is, if the air is clear of smoke. This summer was not a good time for sunset shots.

This is a lovely sunset that I took a couple of winters ago, but I love the colors. This is taken from the Sparks Marina looking up toward Mt. Rose. Lake Tahoe is on the other side.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 17th, 2021), junglejim (September 17th, 2021), penwash (September 17th, 2021), Yazeh (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Thank you for the great review, Chrissy! This is one of my favorite inks. Interestingly, I do not care for most orange "things", but when it comes to ink, I love orange inks. Yu-yake behaves very well in every pen I have used it on. It does feather a bit on inexpensive paper, but for me it is a terrific ink.

I live in the land of gorgeous sunsets. It is not unusual for me to take my camera out about 20 minutes before sunset, up to one of the hills above my house and shoot the sunsets. That is, if the air is clear of smoke. This summer was not a good time for sunset shots.

This is a lovely sunset that I took a couple of winters ago, but I love the colors. This is taken from the Sparks Marina looking up toward Mt. Rose. Lake Tahoe is on the other side.
    You're welcome. That photo is amazing. I would love to print it on out my new printer if you might please allow me to do that. I could even make it into a card and send it to you if you would like that.