Thread: Shaeffer Sentinel fill system.

Thanks

Default Shaeffer Sentinel fill system.

I have a "junk drawer find" Sentinel. I have disassembled it and cleaned. The "sac' had deteriorated to chunks inside the metal sliding " vacuum tube, but managed to get it cleaned out. However, I can't see or feel [with a screw driver] and screw to disassemble the end cap/knob from the metal tube.
    This didn't have a sac/bladder protecter (as some other vacuum filler Shaffers do) just the remains of the rubber bladder.
    Does this sound normal?
    Just takes a bladder without a protecter?
    Suggestions on where to purchase bladder tubes [ or a protector sleeve is there is supposed to be one]?

No history to the pen.

This.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Shaeffer Sentinel fill system.

I'm assuming that you're talking about a Touchdown model.

Check if the metal ink sac protector (yes, there is supposed to be one) is not jammed inside the metal tube (which slides up and down), which, if it's true, could explain why you can't feel the screw at the end of the tube.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

That certainly sounds like a standard Touchdown filler that someone lost the sac protector, as you have noted. You'll need to source one of those to complete the job, but I don't really have a clue for a source. Other repair/restore people likely have a box of donor parts, and maybe someone will chime in.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Sometimes you have to look with a penlight to see which way the slit in the screw head runs, and then try to line the screwdriver blade up to catch the slit. Having said that, I've seen blind cap screws so rusted that the slit is gone, or almost gone. The blind cap has to come off to remove the TD tube, to replace the 0-ring in the barrel. In the worst cases, I've had to cut the TD tube off, use a burr on a flex shaft tool to cut a new slit in the screw head, and then replace both. The good news is that if this is a thin TD pen, TD tubes are readily available. There were the "Fat" ones, discontinued in something like 1960, and then the thin model ones used in everything else TD (not snorkel).

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 16th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (September 17th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I'm assuming that you're talking about a Touchdown model.

Check if the metal ink sac protector (yes, there is supposed to be one) is not jammed inside the metal tube (which slides up and down), which, if it's true, could explain why you can't feel the screw at the end of the tube.
    OK That may explain things... there may indeed be a metal tube stuck inside the plunger, I think I can see what I thought was a step a little ways down. This ought to be a fun exercise! May be time to employ some penetrating oil and a bore brush that will stick on the pull.

Also could not find any O-ring or groove for one just below the barrel threads? No o-ring in the Sentinel Touchdown system?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Sometimes you have to look with a penlight to see which way the slit in the screw head runs, and then try to line the screwdriver blade up to catch the slit. Having said that, I've seen blind cap screws so rusted that the slit is gone, or almost gone. The blind cap has to come off to remove the TD tube, to replace the 0-ring in the barrel. In the worst cases, I've had to cut the TD tube off, use a burr on a flex shaft tool to cut a new slit in the screw head, and then replace both. The good news is that if this is a thin TD pen, TD tubes are readily available. There were the "Fat" ones, discontinued in something like 1960, and then the thin model ones used in everything else TD (not snorkel).
    Thanks Ron, If "Penwash" is correct the sac protector is probably what I'm seeing the end of with the penlight [looks domed and definitely no screw]. If that ends up being the case, and I can't get it freed and out then I may have to resort to cutting and destroying both the plunger and sac protector and hope to find replacements. I'll ask the other question I forgot to you as well. I can't see the remains of or any groove for an o-ring in the plastic of the barrel above the threads ? Was there an o-ring and where was it "employed"...OOPS!!! just saw your reference to the o-ring, I suppose further up the barrel where I can't see it with the plunger still in! Reading comprehension is such a good idea! Thanks

Once I'm sure of things I guess I'll make a specific request post in "Repair" and "Wanted" and cross my fingers.

I've dipped the nib on this one, just for grins and giggles, It's a fine and it writes so well I'd sure like to get this pen working again.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Michaelcj; September 16th, 2021 at 07:26 PM.