Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

  1. #21
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    3,288
    Thanks
    2,549
    Thanked 4,932 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Guess I'm a bit simple minded. A new fountain pen will not improve my handwriting. It's possible that it may give me some other aesthetic pleasure, I suppose.

    My camera - a Lumix something or other - is, in my highly superficial experience, a perfectly decent tool for taking snapshots. At this stage the only reason for changing it for something else is due to its size. It is way too small for my hands and uncomfortable to use. Most cameras in my price range are much of a muchness, so ergonomics is the biggest driver for me, and that's only if I took more interest in the hobby, which is uncertain. Also, I don't like screens on cameras, never have.

    Anyway, the other things I said are really personal opinions centred on my own extremely shallow skillset.
    And my statements are just a different perspective from another person.

    I am simple-minded, with a scatter-brain



    EDIT: Used a wrong phrase that didn't convey what I intended to say.
    Last edited by penwash; September 18th, 2021 at 10:27 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  2. #22
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,019
    Thanks
    1,031
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 1,998 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Nice, but lack of use didn't justify keeping it, sort of like expensive pens that sport nibs no better than most other pens.

    IMG_1238.jpeg

    Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    ...Back in the day, I wanted a faster 35mm lens than than the f2.0 that Canon offered....Eventually I downsized to the rangefinder
    One of my favorites was my Canonet Q.L 1.7, quite a bargain for a new compact rangefinder with 1.7 40mm lens and parallax correction. I'm tempted to buy a restored one (I'm always tempted by something).



    After unloading the Leica gear for a nice profit, for rangefinder film I am down to my Zeiss/Ikon Contina III and Minox 35ML. Alas, the Contina will need calibration, so until then, the pretty thing (especially the Zeiss leather case) is a shelf queen.





    I've always preferred cameras that will operate even after a battery fails.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 18th, 2021), TSherbs (September 18th, 2021)

  4. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    1,095
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Oh that case

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  5. #24
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    In terms of tools We don't have to go further.
    Every tools are there for facilitating a creator to ameliorate his or her skill to change the level of his creativity to the next level.
    But in reality if you question why a Tour de France rider need that Technological bike that cost millions of dollars? ...
    Why a Formula 1 rider need that machine to be on that track?
    Why a mountain tracker need that particular out fit to have his survival ?
    Yes they are tool of the next level .. To get to the Next level..

    >>>>>Tools by no means make you a person to be but transform you to be a better person. <<<<<

    I don't know how to put it but By talking about the feature in the Blog was to show the way I got into photography and how I did from there.
    Frankly Leica world or Hasselblad world was the best world of photography. I was involved with both and I am still in touch with many photography projects.

    These links below are an example of the real thing about how tools works in the pen world.
    One might say ... Mont Blanc Calligraphy pen doesn't make a better writer ! I can't agree more!!!

    But it is one of the best tools in a Master's Hand.

    https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...ge/3/#comments
    https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...ge/6/#comments
    If you want to go to the next level You need to have your right tools and this use of Mont Blanc tells you what I meant.
    If you don't want anything but your BIC pen it is how you want it too respectably .!!
    Vise versa ... Leica M will be a deathly tool in a hand who can master it.
    Last edited by Cyril; September 18th, 2021 at 03:51 PM.

  6. #25
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Nice, but lack of use didn't justify keeping it, sort of like expensive pens that sport nibs no better than most other pens.

    IMG_1238.jpeg

    Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    ...Back in the day, I wanted a faster 35mm lens than than the f2.0 that Canon offered....Eventually I downsized to the rangefinder
    One of my favorites was my Canonet Q.L 1.7, quite a bargain for a new compact rangefinder with 1.7 40mm lens and parallax correction. I'm tempted to buy a restored one (I'm always tempted by something).



    After unloading the Leica gear for a nice profit, for rangefinder film I am down to my Zeiss/Ikon Contina III and Minox 35ML. Alas, the Contina will need calibration, so until then, the pretty thing (especially the Zeiss leather case) is a shelf queen.





    I've always preferred cameras that will operate even after a battery fails.
    This is a beautiful set Fred I guess you have had a good time with this camera???

  7. #26
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    3,288
    Thanks
    2,549
    Thanked 4,932 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I've always preferred cameras that will operate even after a battery fails.
    Yes, I am with you on this one.

    One of my keepers is the Olympus OM-3

    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  8. #27
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    447
    Thanked 144 Times in 86 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Vise versa ... Leica M will be a deathly tool in a hand who can master it.
    As far as I've seen, only a VERY small percent of famous professional photographers, especially film based, have used Leica. Most used Nikon and Canon. Not because they couldn't afford them nor because they lacked the ability to but because these were their tools of choice. Similarly, some artists/writers/calligraphers use fountain pens, some use dip pens, some use pencils, some use Bics. Each artist uses what works best for them.

    Similarly, notice that each bike rider on the TdF rides a different bike set-up. Each rider's body geometry, riding style, bike familiarity, and ride characteristics preference is unique.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lloyd; September 18th, 2021 at 07:12 PM.
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  9. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clinging desperately to planet Earth
    Posts
    345
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 338 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Vise versa ... Leica M will be a deathly tool in a hand who can master it.
    As far as I've seen, only a VERY small percent of famous professional photographers, especially film based, have used Leica. Most used Nikon and Canon. Not because they couldn't afford them nor because they lacked the ability to but because these were their tools of choice. Similarly, some artists/writers/calligraphers use fountain pens, some use dip pens, some use pencils, some use Bics. Each artist uses what works best for them.

    Similarly, notice that each bike rider on the TdF rides a different bike set-up. Each rider's body geometry, riding style, bike familiarity, and ride characteristics preference is unique.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    In a word -- yep.

  10. #29
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Vise versa ... Leica M will be a deathly tool in a hand who can master it.
    As far as I've seen, only a VERY small percent of famous professional photographers, especially film based, have used Leica. Most used Nikon and Canon. Not because they couldn't afford them nor because they lacked the ability to but because these were their tools of choice. Similarly, some artists/writers/calligraphers use fountain pens, some use dip pens, some use pencils, some use Bics. Each artist uses what works best for them.

    Similarly, notice that each bike rider on the TdF rides a different bike set-up. Each rider's body geometry, riding style, bike familiarity, and ride characteristics preference is unique.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    First you have to be a " photographer" to use a M tools

    First you have to be a " Rider " To use Different bike set up ( there are millions of them from all the global companies as tools )

    First you have to be a CALLIGRAPHER TO USE A " dream series of pens '" paying big bucks to be in that levels.

    They all can use any tools and demonstrate all their skill with a Bic or Iphone or with a Bomily bike or Chinese made but the end result are not the same.

    I think there is some thing called mind set that is what is need here. If you are lack of that you can do any thing but everything with out a momentum.

  11. #30
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,019
    Thanks
    1,031
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 1,998 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Status-conscious people are mesmerized by red dots and white stars. The result today has lead to "boutique" shops exclusive to red-dotted and white-starred merchandise carrying price tags that defy reason while exploiting cache.









    And yet, using an M3 or 149 from the '50s and '60s for their intended purpose is a delight!
    Last edited by FredRydr; September 19th, 2021 at 09:35 AM.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2021), Lloyd (September 19th, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (September 21st, 2021)

  13. #31
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    3,288
    Thanks
    2,549
    Thanked 4,932 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Vise versa ... Leica M will be a deathly tool in a hand who can master it.
    As far as I've seen, only a VERY small percent of famous professional photographers, especially film based, have used Leica. Most used Nikon and Canon. Not because they couldn't afford them nor because they lacked the ability to but because these were their tools of choice. Similarly, some artists/writers/calligraphers use fountain pens, some use dip pens, some use pencils, some use Bics. Each artist uses what works best for them.

    Similarly, notice that each bike rider on the TdF rides a different bike set-up. Each rider's body geometry, riding style, bike familiarity, and ride characteristics preference is unique.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I am agreeing 100% with what you state above (in bold).

    I look in admiration to people who can sketch amazingly using pencils. I happen to prefer fountain pens. I don't expect anyone else to also use fountain pens if they don't like it.

    Back to Leica, it just so happen people like myself and Cyril find the Leica to be a special tool that awakens the desire to photograph more.
    If that is not the case for Fred or others, none are the worse because of that.

    As far as I can gather, I don't think anyone here is stating that one particular tool is above others (in all situations).

    Point in case, I always find it ridiculous to have a 135mm lens on a Leica M when there are so many others that would work better for that focal length.
    For portraits, in my personal view, nothing can beat my Zuiko OM 85mm.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  14. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 53 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    A countervailing point of view:

    I prefer SLRs to rangefinder cameras. I use 3 Nikons: a Nikon F film camera, a Nikon F3HP film camera and a Nikon D300 DSLR.

    My first 35mm camera was a Robin, a Bar Mitzvah present. It was a rangefinder camera, but I also played around with my father's SLR. I don't remember the brand. When I was in college, some friends and relatives bought me a Minolta SRT-101 SLR and a few lenses. I used them until about 2002, when I got the Nikon film cameras.

    Sometimes, enthusiasts and stores get carried away with their enthusiasm. I remember, about 20 years ago, when I was looking at different cameras, it was mandatory to wear white gloves before handling a Leica. The salesmen provided the gloves but still ... .
    Dan Kalish

    Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65, FPR Guru

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to kaliuzhkin For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (September 19th, 2021)

  16. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clinging desperately to planet Earth
    Posts
    345
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 338 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Many decades ago, a mate of mine, one I had trained and worked with in our career field, left to become a professional (and successful) photographer. He was a Canon user. The one camera he lusted for, the one he believed was THE true professional's camera is one no one has mentioned -- a Hasselblad.

  17. #34
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Very true Fred,,

    I don't embrace every red dot ...every M came out with more bells and whistle. They all did it with a "Boutique brand'" label.
    I must tell you every Digital had technical problems from the day they came to market and until they went out of product. Most of old cameras suffered a sensor corrosion.
    And they have completely changed to the present sensor with is ugly crappy colours. I never buy any new M digital but the older M- Monochrome (M9- which is already a vintage)

    What I embraced is M camera RF concept. The "mirrorless" mechanism and the compactness and using any Goggles type / or screw type 80 years lens back to every new cameras through a m mount.

    It is like comparing a PC to a Mac. before I got into M camera I had a high-end Canon / then I had a big Bronica Medium Format / Nikon F5 work horse ( still I have it ) and then Hasselblad 303FE ( still I have it and using it ) and a XPan 2 ( and still my beloved camera) Some of my cameras are loaded and halfway shot :-)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (September 19th, 2021)

  19. #35
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I've always preferred cameras that will operate even after a battery fails.
    Yes, I am with you on this one.

    One of my keepers is the Olympus OM-3
    ------------------
    Pen wash I agree. OM-3 = Nikon FM = Canon F high end ... are the greatest ones of the the history of the camera.

    In my Photo journy My first Camera was the Olympus OM-10 Bought on 1985 used it for two years and changed into OM-12... I guess...?
    Then I bought my first camera Canon AI which was the first revolutionary electronic body. Then the list goes on... and every changing cameras stopped at my first Leica M6
    was kept on special bed as it was my best company. Unfortunately this bed is changed for 23 years..
    L1038538.jpg



    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Vise versa ... Leica M will be a deathly tool in a hand who can master it.
    As far as I've seen, only a VERY small percent of famous professional photographers, especially film based, have used Leica. Most used Nikon and Canon. Not because they couldn't afford them nor because they lacked the ability to but because these were their tools of choice. Similarly, some artists/writers/calligraphers use fountain pens, some use dip pens, some use pencils, some use Bics. Each artist uses what works best for them.

    Similarly, notice that each bike rider on the TdF rides a different bike set-up. Each rider's body geometry, riding style, bike familiarity, and ride characteristics preference is unique.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I am agreeing 100% with what you state above (in bold).

    I look in admiration to people who can sketch amazingly using pencils. I happen to prefer fountain pens. I don't expect anyone else to also use fountain pens if they don't like it.

    Back to Leica, it just so happen people like myself and Cyril find the Leica to be a special tool that awakens the desire to photograph more.
    If that is not the case for Fred or others, none are the worse because of that.

    As far as I can gather, I don't think anyone here is stating that one particular tool is above others (in all situations).

    Point in case, I always find it ridiculous to have a 135mm lens on a Leica M when there are so many others that would work better for that focal length.
    For portraits, in my personal view, nothing can beat my Zuiko OM 85mm.
    I am here, not to convince anyone about this camera as the best for every photography. This was the best tool for my type of photography I do as documentary work.
    Thank you PEN-WASH FOR YOUR POINT AND I am showing what this camera did to me and showing the story.
    Perhaps my English is my another language out of many I speak and it is not my first language . I know it is a difficultly some times. I hope you all got what I meant to say.

    I got into many projects with this M6

    20130524_5537.jpg


    What other tools I am still keeping with me is this Up to today. They are my tools and YOU NEED " DIFFERENT HORSES FOR DIFFERENT COURSES " ...RESPECTABLY IT IS THE BOTTOM LINE RULE HRER.

    So my tools are here today
    20130524_5523.jpg


    AND MOREOVER MY CONTRIBUTION AND THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE GRATITUDE OF THIS CAMERA M6 WAS PAID HERE.
    https://www.behance.net/gallery/1010...Self-portraits

    By the way folks I have a Web site I sell my photos here for all the Office decorations space and finer series on many medias Just have a look at it and see if you find anything interesting.
    If you massage me I can send you some special coupon code of reductions.

    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/cyril-jayant
    Cheers!!!!
    Last edited by Cyril; September 19th, 2021 at 12:26 PM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (September 19th, 2021)

  21. #36
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    447
    Thanked 144 Times in 86 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Cyril - Your passion for photography is easily seen in your images. Thanks for the link.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  22. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 53 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Cyril, How do you take pictures of the Leica M6 with the Leica M6???
    Dan Kalish

    Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65, FPR Guru

  23. #38
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    504
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 263 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    @ kalluzhkin It is simple either with my M8.2 or ( not in the picture ) or my trusty Nikon F5 beautiful Work horse camera ......in the picture )

    Or if you are taking about that M6 series profile ???? that is with my M9 Monochrome My last buy from M cameras. lens 50mm I use only two lens only on 35mm.
    It is very special amazing camera. It will d

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (September 20th, 2021)

  25. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    Cyril, I love your B/W photos. So which film do you use and do you print them yourself or go to a lab? In my youth I developed film myself as well as printed my photos but was never to happy so started going to professional labs for printing, another planet. Cheers

  26. #40
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,569
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 971 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Leica cites writing with a fountain pen

    I am hoping you can all access this BBC LINK

    Guy Bellingham is a wet plate photographer, using a technique that was first developed in 1851. His 'Victorian Polaroid' method uses various chemicals to produce pictures that have incredible clarity and detail.

    Mr Bellingham has been awarded a prestigious fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society for his work.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •