Thread: Tool to get the "C" ring/ broken lead spindle out the filling knob of modern MB149/6

Thanks

Default Tool to get the "C" ring/ broken lead spindle out the filling knob of modern MB149/6

i all,
    As you surely know - or experienced ... - the “C" ring which holds the lead spindle in the filling knob is extremely difficult to remove.
    I've designed and made an alternative approach to get the C ring out, using a tool which uses the screw effect of the broken piston lead screw in the tool's integrated piston rod.
    Below the drawing of a tool that allows to pull the "C” Ring and the broken/short lead screw out of the filling knob
    There is however a limitation : one needs a minimal remaining thread length of 8mm inside the filling button..
    As far as I’ve experienced a remaining threaded length of 8mm or longer is luckily rather common
    So this would allow the pull approximately 90% of the “C” rings..
    Note the tool will not work when the remaining thread length is shorter as 8mm !
    The tool consists of 2 parts :
    1- The" screw-in knob 1" with screws deeply in the filling knob and axially backs-up against the front of the MB filling knob.
    I’ve cut a filling knob to use the maximum penetration depth available for the screw in knob
    The end of the inner bore fits just around the back diameter of the MB piston rod, avoiding the rod would expand/crack when applying torque
    Note the top of the MB piston rod axially backs-up against the end collar inside the screw-in knob bore
    2-The "actuating knob 2” is permanently glued with epoxy on the shortened MB piston rod
    The Montblanc piston rod threads will engage with the remaining end of the threaded rod.
    On the first picture you can see a threaded rod with a remaining thread length of 8mm, before I've installed it back into a perfect filling knob and secured it with the "C "ring.
    On the second picture I still have to slide the actuating knob fully into the screw-in knob, finally screw it over the broken lead spindle
    By turning the knob slightly further in clockwise direction, the "C" clip will easily jump-out of its seat groove.
    This is shown on the third picture
    I tested the tool several times on different MB146/149 filling knobs with the short 8mm thread ,and the short lead screw always came out together with the “C” ring
    As always your questions / thoughts are most welcome.
    Sincerely,
    Francis

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fountainbel For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (September 17th, 2021), guyy (September 17th, 2021), mizgeorge (September 17th, 2021), silverlifter (September 17th, 2021), Yazeh (September 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Tool to get the "C" ring/ broken lead spindle out the filling knob of modern MB14

Good job fountainbel. Is this going to be available for sale?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: Tool to get the "C" ring/ broken lead spindle out the filling knob of modern MB14

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Could be, but not for now....

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fountainbel View Post
    Please put me on the list for when it's available. Also, in the event that you ever feel in the mood to make another 146 nib removal tool please can I go on that list also?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Nice drawing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joolstacho View Post
    Nice drawing.
    Thanks !
    Note however the dimensional spec's are slightly altered in the meantime !
    Francis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fountainbel View Post
    Please put me on the list for when it's available. Also, in the event that you ever feel in the mood to make another 146 nib removal tool please can I go on that list also?
    Me too! This seems to be a great tool.