Thread: Is the use of writing papers in laser printers possible? Anyone tried this?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Is the use of writing papers in laser printers possible? Anyone tried this?

In the past I've used Clairefontaine Triomphe paper for some of my ink reviews as there are many users of this paper so they will know what the ink will behave like on a known paper.
    Now my old inkjet printer has packed up and I have a laser printer that should only use laser paper.

It would technically mean I would have to use a laser only paper for all ink reviews done using the pro forma ink review form that I usually print first.

Has anyone successfully tried putting any writing paper through a laser printer? e.g. Clairefontaine Triomphe? Rhodia?
    Can any writing papers withstand the heat of a laser printer?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: Is the use of writing papers in laser printers possible? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    In the past I've used Clairefontaine Triomphe paper for some of my ink reviews as there are many users of this paper so they will know what the ink will behave like on a known paper.
    Now my old inkjet printer has packed up and I have a laser printer that should only use laser paper.

It would technically mean I would have to use a laser only paper for all ink reviews done using the pro forma ink review form that I usually print first.

Has anyone successfully tried putting any writing paper through a laser printer? e.g. Clairefontaine Triomphe? Rhodia?
    Only paper I am not sure can take the heat is Tomoe river

Most of the papers you listed are similar to the 25% cotton paper from Southworth I like

As long as your paper isn’t coated to resist heat bonding you are probably fine

Unless it’s a higher end Xerox laser they have a paper type sensor or something
    It’s causing me issues at a client

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 18th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Is the use of writing papers in laser printers possible? Anyone tried this?

I've fed bond paper through my HP 4100n without issue, even through the duplexer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post

Most of the papers you listed are similar to the 25% cotton paper from Southworth I like

I don't know if it might be a higher end with a sensor or not. It's a Xerox VersaLink C600

Thanks

I don't know if it might be a higher end with a sensor or not. It's a Xerox VersaLink C600
    Try printing and see if the screen tells you it can’t print due to paper not matching

Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've been working on creating an A5 sized form to better catalogue my inks (and possibly share inky thoughts).
    It's not particularly scientific, but I've created a test print on a single sheet of Kokuyo Campus Sarasara A5 paper with our HP LaserJet M29w, and it seemed to come out just fine.
    I believe that's a 75 gsm paper, and I'm not sure how much lighter than that you could go before the risk of paper jams becomes too high.
    Looking at the specs for your much nicer printer though, it claims to handle one-sided paper from 60-220 gsm and double-sided from 60-176 gsm.
    Direct link to the PDF spec sheet in case you want to check it out - https://www.office.xerox.com/latest/VC6SS-01U.PDF

Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Try printing and see if the screen tells you it can’t print due to paper not matching
    It's already had a go at a small sheet of labels. It printed one sheet OK so I don't think it's going to warn me when it can't print due to paper not matching.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thi View Post
    I've been working on creating an A5 sized form to better catalogue my inks (and possibly share inky thoughts).
    It's not particularly scientific, but I've created a test print on a single sheet of Kokuyo Campus Sarasara A5 paper with our HP LaserJet M29w, and it seemed to come out just fine.
    I believe that's a 75 gsm paper, and I'm not sure how much lighter than that you could go before the risk of paper jams becomes too high.
    Looking at the specs for your much nicer printer though, it claims to handle one-sided paper from 60-220 gsm and double-sided from 60-176 gsm.
    Direct link to the PDF spec sheet in case you want to check it out - https://www.office.xerox.com/latest/VC6SS-01U.PDF

Good luck!
    I bought some Xerox Color tech super gloss photo paper that is 250gsm and it was OK with that. I will be able to make Christmas cards from it.
    I was led to believe that the main problem with any paper is the heat rather than the paper weight. Hence the concern.

Thanks

You should be perfectly fine

Only paper I had issues with laser wise is Tomoe River and some old stock typewriter paper

Both curled due to heat

Both are super thin paper

Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 18th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (September 20th, 2021)

Thanks

You should be perfectly fine

Only paper I had issues with laser wise is Tomoe River and some old stock typewriter paper

Both curled due to heat

Both are super thin paper

Thank you. I'm considering trying a sheet of Clairefontaine Triomphe.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Great choice of printer Chrissy - I have an much less whizzy version of the same thing, and have been delighted with it. It's printed just find on anything I've asked it to so far. The only time I went below 70gsm was a piece of TR, and I just taped the leading edge of a piece of A5 to a sheet of A4 with magic tape (seems to handle heat better than other sellotapes) and that was fine too. It did bow a little bit, but no worse than getting it really wet with ink and it smoothed out perfectly. I can't imagine it wouldn't handle Clairefontaine OK.

For everyday, the 90gsm HP premium laser paper (AKA 32lb) works brilliantly, and is also pretty FP friendly. Much nicer than the 80gsm version.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 19th, 2021)

Thanks

Thank you mizgeorge. We wanted to get the highest dpi print value we could afford and although that Xerox is much more of an office printer than we need we sacrificed a built in scanner and fax because there was a Xerox money back deal on that model at the time. Then we bought the Epson V600.

I have several packs of Xerox Colorprint laser paper in 80, 100 and 120gsm that I use in the printer and the 100 and 120gsm is very good for fountain pen writing on but sometimes I use Clairefontaine and was concerned about damaging the printer trying to print my review sheet on it. Fingers crossed it will be OK.

That's a neat tip about the tape. Thanks

Thanks

I have used HP Laserjet 24 and 32 pound, don't recall if I have used Clairefontaine or Rhodia this way

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

I regularly print A5 planner (Filofax or Franklin Covey) inserts using Clairefontaine on my laser with no problems.

The main problem with lasers and low quality paper is the dust generated by the paper which clogs the printer.

Read through the printer's printing options and set it to use thinner paper (lowest gsm) for printing on TR paper.
    I use an older hp2430 printer and the printing options allow me to select the media type (for media, read paper). Thinner paper means the printer uses less heat to fuse the laser toner which goes to preventing curl.

If you get unfused toner on your hands or clothes, wash first in cold water because using hot water fuses the toner making it difficult to get out.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 20th, 2021), eachan (September 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    I regularly print A5 planner (Filofax or Franklin Covey) inserts using Clairefontaine on my laser with no problems.

The main problem with lasers and low quality paper is the dust generated by the paper which clogs the printer.

Read through the printer's printing options and set it to use thinner paper (lowest gsm) for printing on TR paper.
    I use an older hp2430 printer and the printing options allow me to select the media type (for media, read paper). Thinner paper means the printer uses less heat to fuse the laser toner which goes to preventing curl.

If you get unfused toner on your hands or clothes, wash first in cold water because using hot water fuses the toner making it difficult to get out.
    Thanks whych I'll try and find out how to select thinner paper unless it "knows" already.

Thanks

I print on Rhodia 80gsm fairly often with the HP 4250n. Basically it's for a spur of the moment thing when I need to print something and then also write on a well behaved paper, and I just tear a page out of one of the notebooks I have at hand(A4 Rhodia dot is my go-to notebook).

Never had an issue with it. It's not a regularly thing, but I've also done it a fair few times. It's a virtual necessity for me given that our work-provided paper is terrible.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 9th, 2021)