Thread: Sheaffer Sentinel

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Sentinel

I have Sheaffer Sentinel [non-snorkel] with the Touchdown filing system. Found at a junk shop. Nice conical nib <F> that writes well when I tested it by dipping.
    Disassembled the section from the barrel and found the ink sac was crumbled. I managed to clean most/all of it out.

Problem: The metal ink sac protector is frozen about a quarter of an inc up inside the metal vacuum tube. Have had no luck trying to dislodge it, so I can't continue to disassemble the plunger knob from the barrel and attempt to push out the protector from the plunger cylinder by pressing it out through the attachment knob screw hole in the cylinder. I'm down to considering cutting the tube and protector off, just below the knob with a Dremel cut off wheel, and working from there.

That would, of course be dependent on being able to find a replacement plunger tube and sac protector.

Any ideas about another way to proceed... or hopefully a resource for finding a replacement protector and plunger tube?

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer Sentinel

Could you post a photo at all? It really helps show what's going on.

Ralf

Thanks

I can't see how I could take a photo of the issue. I'm assuming that what you're asking for is a photo of the actual problem, not just a photo of a Sheaffer Sentinel?

This filling system [as I understand it] consists of a "standard" ink sac attached to the nipple at the back in of the section, usually secured by a bit of shellac on the nipple. [Non-snorkel Touchdown system]

In the case of the Sentinel, there is a metal sac protecter [a closed back end metal tube] that "snaps" over the, slightly larger, "nipple" just ahead of the sac nipple.

Once the sac and protector are assembled on the section, these are inserted into the metal vacuum plunger tube inside the barrel. They should be free to remove out of the Barrel/Vacuum tube plunger each time the section is unscrewed from the barrel.

In order to service the O-ring towards the back end of the barrel, you must be able to insert a small [long] flathead screw driver [after removal of the section/protector/sac assembly] up the barrel and unscrew the small screw that attaches the vacuum tube to the "knob" on the back end of the section, thus being able to remove the knob from the metal vacuum plunger tube and push the tube out of the front of plastic barrel section. Leaving a, both ends open plastic barrel section allowing access to the o-ring at the back end of the barrel for replacement.

If I understand the system incorrectly I would love to be corrected.

My issue is that: When I unscrewed the front section from the barrel section, the front [feed/nib] section came out with neither a protector tube or sac connected to the sac nipple or protector shoulder on the nipple.

I discovered a crumbled/deteriorated sac up inside the metal tubes(s) inside the barrel section.

After carefully cleaning out the rotted sac material, I discovered that the sac protector was stuck/jammed/corroded? up inside the plunger tube. The open end of the sac protector is about a quarter of an inch up inside the open end of the metal vacuum plunger tube. I have been unable to dislodge it and remove it in order to access the knob screw to complete disassembly.

I hope this makes sense and I would grateful to be 1. corrected. 2. Ideas how to get thing unstuck or 3. a source for purchasing a replacement.... Metal Sac Protector / Metal Vacuum Plunger / and even an end knob, screw assembly (regardless of color, my pen has a maroon body).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

There is a hole in the side of the sac protector and using a dental pick it is sometimes possible to pull out a stuck protector that way. It takes considerable trial and error to find the hole but once it is found you can sometimes get it out. I have also used a length of steel that has been turned to have a hook on the end once I've cleared the hole with a dental pick.

But it ain't easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Michaelcj (September 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Jar, noticed that, haven't yet found the right tool.... bent L paper clip, not so much.

Thanks

That's a really clear and helpful explanation, thank you. Does the plunger tube move independently of the sac protector? Could the two metal components be seized together? There is a hole at the top of the sac protector, looks to be about 2-3mm wide on mine. I would try a tiny long screwdriver and see if I could get at the knob attachment screw through it. That almost definitely wouldn't work, so I would soak the whole lot in water for a couple of days (it's already rusty, most likely) to get any ink residue off, and then try to heat the metal parts up with a hairdryer. They appear to be the same metal, so they won't fly apart, but they may react differentially enough to the heat to loosen ever so slightly. I'd consider antiseize compound too. Or even oil/WD40.

The biggest trick is going to be how to unscrew the sac protector from the plunger tube. It's a regular right hand thread (anti-clockwise to loosen), and it's about 2 1/2 turns (rough guess based on my own snorkels). All the metal is thin and easily bent. I would probably try a thin pair of pliers inserted into the sac protector and held open to bear on the inside of the protector. If getting desperate I would always try a removal approach that spun the protector anti-clockwise in the hope it would loosen before things got too dire.

This is a great challenge. Hope some of these ideas help!

Good luck!

Ralf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ralfstc View Post
    That's a really clear and helpful explanation, thank you. Does the plunger tube move independently of the sac protector? Could the two metal components be seized together? There is a hole at the top of the sac protector, looks to be about 2-3mm wide on mine. I would try a tiny long screwdriver and see if I could get at the knob attachment screw through it. That almost definitely wouldn't work, so I would soak the whole lot in water for a couple of days (it's already rusty, most likely) to get any ink residue off, and then try to heat the metal parts up with a hairdryer. They appear to be the same metal, so they won't fly apart, but they may react differentially enough to the heat to loosen ever so slightly. I'd consider antiseize compound too. Or even oil/WD40.

The biggest trick is going to be how to unscrew the sac protector from the plunger tube. It's a regular right hand thread (anti-clockwise to loosen), and it's about 2 1/2 turns (rough guess based on my own snorkels). All the metal is thin and easily bent. I would probably try a thin pair of pliers inserted into the sac protector and held open to bear on the inside of the protector. If getting desperate I would always try a removal approach that spun the protector anti-clockwise in the hope it would loosen before things got too dire.

This is a great challenge. Hope some of these ideas help!

Good luck!

Ralf
    The Plunger tube DOES move freely inside the plastic barrel section. It is the "frozen" sac protector that is firmly stuck/frozen inside the plunger. The open end of the sac protecter is up, about 1/4" inside the open end of the Plunger.
    This is NOT a "Snorkel" pen but the non-snorkel Touchdown system as far as I can determine.
    I've soaked it in distilled water and even tried wicking some Kroil down between the two metal tubes with a soaked q-tip. Think I might try a longer soak in some windex.
    I don't see anything that looks like rust or metal corrosion on the parts so I suspect that it is either ink or some unspecified distortion of the protector.
    Last edited by Michaelcj; September 28th, 2021 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelcj View Post

The Plunger tube DOES move freely inside the plastic barrel section. It is the "frozen" sac protector that is firmly stuck/frozen inside the plunger. The open end of the sac protecter is up, about 1/4" inside the open end of the Plunger.
    So I was right

Find a brand of penetrating oil that won't eat up plastics (you may have to ask around at your local hardware store).
    When you find it, pour some into a lab test tube (or any vertical liquid containers), enough to immerse the Touchdown barrel with the stuck sac casing in the liquid. The idea is to let the oil to penetrate the corrosion that bonded the two metal parts.

Every day try to pry out the stuck casing using a thin but strong wire that you bend the end to create a "hook" which is small enough to get through the hole at the end of the metal casing and you can catch it on the edge so you can pull down. Never use extreme force, if it won't go, just immerse it back in the penetrating oil and wait another day.

In case you haven't picked it up yet, restoring vintage pens needs a lot of patience
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Michaelcj (September 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    ...In case you haven't picked it up yet, restoring vintage pens needs a lot of patience
    SO true. :-)

Thanks

Sorry, you said non-snorkel. That's what happens when I type after sundown. Note to self . . .

I've never seen a problem like this with a snorkel or touchdown personally. Something very odd might be going on, as the plunger and sac protector need to pass each other without contact for the pen to fill.

I'd still try heat. Heat can be good if used judiciously.

By the way, here's a source of parts: https://vintagepensacsandparts.com/p...ffer-touchdown

Best wishes,

Ralf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ralfstc View Post
    Sorry, you said non-snorkel. That's what happens when I type after sundown. Note to self . . .

I've never seen a problem like this with a snorkel or touchdown personally. Something very odd might be going on, as the plunger and sac protector need to pass each other without contact for the pen to fill.

I'd still try heat. Heat can be good if used judiciously.

By the way, here's a source of parts: https://vintagepensacsandparts.com/p...ffer-touchdown

Best wishes,

Ralf
    Thanks for that link, saved. Based on the photos I think I'd have to e-mail him to make sure I got the right parts.... Hope he ships internationally.