Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wooden pen recommendations?

Thanks

Default Re: Wooden pen recommendations?

I don't know how I didn't mention the custom Kaede which Christof listed - that's another lovely wooden pen. I don't have one, but I had the chance to play with one at a Paris pen meet and it is on my Grail list - lovely pen, lovely nib, really gorgeous.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Yes, I have seen pics of that pen. It is beautiful.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

this isn't a wooden pen, but damn! it is gorgeous!

Wancher Sekai Byakudan-Nuri

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (October 5th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

That is a fabulous looking pen TSherbs. What is it made from? Plastic? Bamboo? Bamboo can be as good looking as wood when made into pens.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Urushi and gold foil layers over....something? This is the process:

>>>What is Byakudan-nuri?

白檀 (Byakudan) translates as Sandalwood. It is said that this technique is named Byakudan-nuri because it resembled the amber color of Sandalwood.

A complicated process along with a meticulous handcraft is required to create a Byakudan-nuri artwork.

The first step is to apply a coating layer as a base, then an immediate Urushi layer is painted on top and swiftly, but surely sharpened smooth.
    Afterward, paper-thin gold or silver foil is pressed onto the surface of the object and then coated with a layer of Suki Urushi (transparent Urushi lacquer).
    After it dries, other transparent candy-colored Urushi layers will be applied.
    The last, but also crucial step, is to polish the object until it's glossy.

To make the Urushi stand out on a pen body, each Urushi layer is coated in a spiral pattern. Therefore, the Byakudan-nuri looks like it is floating on the surface of the pen with a smooth transition of the brush lines throughout the pen. <<<

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

amk (October 15th, 2021), Chrissy (October 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Ooo, baby!

What's this I see?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Ooo, baby!

What's this I see?

Are those the new pens they posted today with Falcon (Elabo) and Elite nibs? Yeah, those are really nice. I can't tell if the barrel reduction at the end is to allow posting or just a design element.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ooo, baby!

What's this I see?

Are those the new pens they posted today with Falcon (Elabo) and Elite nibs? Yeah, those are really nice. I can't tell if the barrel reduction at the end is to allow posting or just a design element.
    Yes, from today's posting. But I did not pursue it any further. I don't know what pen or nib. I just saw beautiful wood and was gawking.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Yes, from today's posting. But I did not pursue it any further. I don't know what pen or nib. I just saw beautiful wood and was gawking.
    I have had a continual jonesing for a particular wood they do occasional, this grey, striped ash that is apparently from trees that have been at the bottom of a lake for decades. Maybe the LA pen show this year...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I have had a continual jonesing for a particular wood they do occasional, this grey, striped ash that is apparently from trees that have been at the bottom of a lake for decades. Maybe the LA pen show this year...
    Gak! Don't tell me these kinds of things!

Sounds way cool!

Thanks

Just saw these....wow!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (October 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I was looking for something on Amazon UK this morning and this rather nice wooden pen appeared. It's a Jinhao 9056 but it looks nice and chunky with a decent section and comes with a variety of nib tip widths. Although that section isn't wood it isn't metal either. It looked like a decent wooden pen and I thought of you as soon as I saw it.

One thing to be aware of with a wooden section is that it will darken more than the barrel as you write with it and you might run into problems when trying to clean it out as it probably wouldn't react well to soaking in any liquid. Maybe that's why most wooden pens aren't made with wooden sections?

If you wanted to find it somewhere else than I bet you could find it with that reference number. It may not actually be available in rosewood as I think that is now a protected species. Whether or not that is the case in China I'm not sure.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

For owners of wooden pens, have you had any problems with expansion, shrinkage, cracking, or warping? Any other problems? Does humidity have to be controlled for? Looking at buying a Sailor Kirikane that is made out of ebony. Want to know what I might be signing up for.

Thanks

You might look at Cypress pens. I have an Applewood pen from them that is nice.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdwhitak View Post
    For owners of wooden pens, have you had any problems with expansion, shrinkage, cracking, or warping? Any other problems? Does humidity have to be controlled for? Looking at buying a Sailor Kirikane that is made out of ebony. Want to know what I might be signing up for.
    If the wood has been well seasoned there should not be any issue, especially if it sealed (urethane, lacquer, etc.). Extreme humidity levels (desert or rainforest levels)may pose a challenge. I turned a few pens a few years ago (D.nigra and D.retusa--Brazilian Rosewood and Cocobolo) and have not had any problems but I keep my place in the 40-60% humidity range.

As to "rosewood" pens sold on the market. Many woods sold as "rosewood" or "mahogany" are not true rosewoods or mahogany but different genus/species that have "qualities of" rosewood and mahogany. That is why it is important to get the genus/species name (hence why I used Dalbergia nigra and retusa in the above). Additionally, as far as I know, the CITES restrictions (Appendix II) on rosewoods remains intact (variance allowed for musical instruments) and to import and export one needs to do a lot of paperwork. I would bet the Jinhao "rosewood" is not from the Dalbergia genus but is some local junk wood being sold as a "rosewood" (amazing what wood stain can do to junk wood). The pen at UK Amazon looks like the kits sold at Woodcraft and Rockler. My experience with them is....they are OK and the reason to use them is because you spent time turning the wood and need to have something to show for the work done.
    Last edited by Roe D Hym; January 18th, 2023 at 08:26 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roe D Hym For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 18th, 2023), TSherbs (January 18th, 2023), Yazeh (January 18th, 2023)