Thread: Montblanc Lavender Purple

Thanks

Default Montblanc Lavender Purple

Hi everyone,

Has the Montblanc Lavender Purple ink been discontinued?

I reached the end of a bottle that I have had for several years and am interested in replacing it because it is a lovely rich purple colour. It appears, however, that this ink has disappeared from Montblanc’s regular ink category? It is not for sale on my usual fountain pen websites and appears, from first glance, to have been replaced by amethyst purple, which is not quite as nice.

Could anyone confirm that the ink has been discontinued and, if so, offer a suggestion for a similar coloured and well-behaved ink? It does not have to be from Montblanc.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Lavender Purple

Where are you?

Amazon US has it;

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Lavender Purple is as far as I know replaced by Amethyst Purple.

Not the same color but similar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Where are you?

Amazon US has it;
    Thanks for your reply.

I am in the European Union so shipping from Amazon USA is a bit pricy and not an ideal choice, unfortunately. Lavender purple seems to have disappeared from Montblanc's official website too and the only purples I can find on Fontoplumo, Appelboom and La Couronne du Comte are Amethyst Purple, Elixir Pourpre and Elixir Violet de Cobalt, the latter two of which cost over €50.00 for a 50ml bottle.

Thanks

And it is sold out at Fountainfeder....

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Where are you?

Amazon US has it;
    That listing is confusing in that the picture shows Midnight Blue and the title says Lavender Purple but it's marked as Currently unavailable anyway.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I believed that Lavender Purple was issued in 2010 then was subsequently replaced by Amethyst Purple when all of the inks in the shoe shaped bottles were revised. I've never tried Amethyst Purple so I don't know what the differences might be between the two inks.

Montblanc advised me that Elixir Pourpre had been withdrawn so I'm surprised to hear it's still on sale in the EU.

Meanwhile check out as many online sales sites as you can for purple ink swatches that you like the look of (Goulet, Anderson, Cult Pens) or specific ink sites like Diamine, Akkerman, Rohrer & Klingner, J. Herbin, Kaweco, Robert Oster, etc.

Also search for "purple inks" that have been reviewed. For reddish purples maybe look at Diamine Majestic Purple or similar. If you want to go more blue then maybe Diamine Imperial Purple or similar colours. Waterman Tender Purple is really nice.

I found one EU example of Mb Lavender Purple ink for sale on ebay here (He's also selling Amethyst Purple so it looks like he knows the difference.)
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 3rd, 2022 at 02:19 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Schopenhauer (January 3rd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Check out Mountain of Ink, imo the best ink review site around. She reviews and compares plenty of purples for you to find an alternative.

https://mountainofink.com/blog/purple-ink

Just click through from the individual swatch to its review.

For me I now use Fritz Schimpf Gelassenheit (Relaxed Purple) as an alternative to the Montblanc. Not exactly the same, but a similar and very attractive ink. No gimmicky high sheen or glittery stuff, just a well-behaved, nicely shading dusky purple, at a reasonable price. As you’re in the EU it should be accessible to you.

The other alternative you might like is Kaweco Summer Purple. The new 50ml size bottles are well priced. It is a good, basic, well-behaved purple. I prefer the Fritz Schimpf, but Summer Purple is also good.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 6th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 10th, 2022), Schopenhauer (January 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Where are you?

Amazon US has it;
    That listing is confusing in that the picture shows Midnight Blue and the title says Lavender Purple but it's marked as Currently unavailable anyway.
    Not for me it is still available. Amazon's ink listening are often like that:sloppy. If you scroll down the picture, you can see:
    Oh and by the way, the price of it shipping to Europe is about 50 US$.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Schopenhauer (January 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

Where are you?

Amazon US has it;
    Not for me it is still available. Amazon's ink listening are often like that:sloppy. If you scroll down the picture, you can see:

In that case maybe it was because it can't ship to my address. In any case that shipping price is enough of a killer for anyone who may have considered buying it.

Thanks

Where are you?

Amazon US has it;

In that case maybe it was because it can't ship to my address. In any case that shipping price is enough of a killer for anyone who may have considered buying it.
    Funny. I tried several addresses overseas and they worked...
    It is sent by Amazon global services. If you want. PM your address, I buy it for you. And then you can paypal me the amount...

Thanks

How odd. I checked again on Amazon.com with my UK address and it still says Currently unavailable so it's not shipping to the UK. I actually have a bottle so don't need another one even if it had been a reasonable price.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful and helpful replies.

I used Mountain of Ink before, which is excellent. From looking at Inkswatch.com and comparing the Lavender Purple with similar ink, it seems the Diamine 150th Anniversary Purple Dream is similar. And it is pretty good value too at around €9.00 for 40ml, which is cheaper than the Montblanc. Diamine is a safe and well-made ink too so I would have no problems using it in more expensive pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post

I used Mountain of Ink before, which is excellent. From looking at Inkswatch.com and comparing the Lavender Purple with similar ink, it seems the Diamine 150th Anniversary Purple Dream is similar. And it is pretty good value too at around €9.00 for 40ml, which is cheaper than the Montblanc. Diamine is a safe and well-made ink too so I would have no problems using it in more expensive pens.
    You can also pour the diamine in your Montlbanc bottle when it's e empty and pretend it's a Montblanc... no body would know, but you and the pen

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 6th, 2022), Schopenhauer (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

I've been checking on all of my ink swatches today and Diamine 150th Anniversary Purple Dream is exactly the ink I was going to suggest as a good match for Montblanc Lavender Purple if you couldn't get the Montblanc ink.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 3rd, 2022 at 02:48 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Schopenhauer (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

You can also pour the diamine in your Montlbanc bottle when it's e empty and pretend it's a Montblanc... no body would know, but you and the pen
    Good point. I can impress everyone with my bottle of discontinued ink!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Schopenhauer For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

I've been checking on all of my ink swatches today and Diamine 150th Anniversary Purple Dream is exactly the ink I was going to suggest as a good match for Montblanc Lavender Purple if you couldn't get the Montblanc ink.
    Thanks, Chrissy. That is really helpful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

It is a shame that they discontinued Lavender Purple. It is a favorite of mine. So I will make sure to the rest of the bottle I have sparingly.

But I also understand that Amethyst Purple is quite similar. I will have to order a sample and compare the two.

Another lovely ink that is similar in color (but not the same) is DeAtramentis Pearl Violet. It leans more blue, but is nicely wet, more lubricated that most Diamine inks, so it will flow more like the Montblanc ink. It doesn't have any shimmer and only a small amount of sheen, and is a very well behaved ink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    It is a shame that they discontinued Lavender Purple. It is a favorite of mine. So I will make sure to the rest of the bottle I have sparingly.

But I also understand that Amethyst Purple is quite similar. I will have to order a sample and compare the two.

Another lovely ink that is similar in color (but not the same) is DeAtramentis Pearl Violet. It leans more blue, but is nicely wet, more lubricated that most Diamine inks, so it will flow more like the Montblanc ink. It doesn't have any shimmer and only a small amount of sheen, and is a very well behaved ink.
    You can still get it on Amazon us.