Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tell us why anyone should agree...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Tell us why anyone should agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    So Dneal who is the bigger problem, the politicians or those wealthy influencers?
    One could make an argument for either, depending on the criteria. I don't think it really matters at this point.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

@dneal I was not making a statement of blame, nor a fix. I was answering Bold's questions about "equal" and "fair."

My other comment was to suggest that the party in power lacked courage and principle on this topic. Your reply suggests that you agree. Just because I am not surprised (I am not: cowardice and avarice do not surprise me) does not mean that they shouldn't be called out on this.

Thanks

I am willing to sacrifice some privacy in my accounts for greater equity of the burden of taxation (and fees, etc). The poor are getting fucked worse than the damage some additional scrutiny of my accounts would cause me. In other words, I would take that hit for the team.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

I would not give an inch to the machine which caused/allowed this problem. When will we stop fighting each other and look at the bigger problems…

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    @dneal I was not making a statement of blame, nor a fix. I was answering Bold's questions about "equal" and "fair."

My other comment was to suggest that the party in power lacked courage and principle on this topic. Your reply suggests that you agree. Just because I am not surprised (I am not: cowardice and avarice do not surprise me) does not mean that they shouldn't be called out on this.
    Ok. I made my statement based on the thoughts that arose from your post. I'm saying the problem is bigger than "the rich" or any particular party taxing them at a higher or lower rate.

There are second and third order effects to the feel-good "get those fuckers" attitude from the AOC's, Bernie's and others of similar political bent. Not-"rich" people's 401k's and other retirement accounts are tied to the prosperity of the "rich".
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 21st, 2021)

Thanks

401K's are investments where the investor is free to move their funds. So, not entirely true that prosperity is tied to the rich. It is tied to our level of rish aversion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

Ok. I made my statement based on the thoughts that arose from your post. I'm saying the problem is bigger than "the rich" or any particular party taxing them at a higher or lower rate.

There are second and third order effects to the feel-good "get those fuckers" attitude from the AOC's, Bernie's and others of similar political bent. Not-"rich" people's 401k's and other retirement accounts are tied to the prosperity of the "rich".
    Neither party taxes them enough, but the Dems have traditionally done better over the last 100 years.

Like the car industry, who cried that seat belt and airbag requirements would ruin the industry with costs that would make them less profitable (bullshit), I tend not to worry about higher taxes and their effects. Avarice and greed are so deeply ingrained that a higher tax does not bump the monied class out of wanting to work and make more and grow their businesses. Hardly! We just don't like taxes. But it does not deter the desire for more wealth. People who want more simply want more, no matter how much of it they get to keep (basically).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    401K's are investments where the investor is free to move their funds. So, not entirely true that prosperity is tied to the rich. It is tied to our level of rish aversion.
    Have you seen the average savings for an American household of for? Have you seen the median income for a household of four? Let's not overstate what actual savings most people have in this country. It is shockingly little.

Thanks

I say we implement a simplified tax system to improve compliance. The eminent problem is the tax of inflation that will come and hit the middle class

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

dneal (October 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    What's "wrong" is that the system is rigged in favor of those with capital against those without. The laborer who has the bulk of her taxes taken out of her paycheck, has no other income, pays all of the other fees, duties, and taxes at exactly the same rates as the wealthy, has no opportunity or resources to reinvest or save or move or hide her paltry savings or defer taxes until a more propitious time...

is fucked compared to what the wealthy can use in the system as it is presently rigged.

I agree that the system is indeed rigged, but I think where we diverge is in where the blame is laid - and how to correct it.

I know he's the new "boogeyman", and I hardly think he's a role-model for anyone or anything; but what Steve Bannon gets right is his "party of Davos" thesis. If he is to toxic of a personality to consider, then there also is the liberal Eric Weinstein who identifies them as the "kleptocracy".

In both cases, they discuss how the system is rigged. The 30,000 foot analysis is simply that the wealthy (business, banking and others) pay politicians through legal means to arrange the system to their benefit. The politicians profit from it. The media (and Victor Davis Hanson lays out clearly the "nepotistic" relationships) is part of it as well.

One can argue that we need to increase taxes on the "rich", but those same people pay the lawyers that write the bills (see: Big Pharma and Obamacare). Those same people fund campaigns. We cannot expect some moral revelation from within the corruption to correct it - just as the bill passed to stop the congressional equivalent of "insider trading" was lip-service and a charade.
    We absolutely live in a kleptocracy. One of the greatest hoodwinks of modern history had been to convince Americans that this is fair and divine (just, and god-ordained). Every statement of "God bless America" is a reinforcement of this pernicious mythology upon the gullible and suggestible.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quick question: In the context of this discussion, is the 'God bless America' sentiment tied to the Protestant ethic and the associated rise in capitalism? Asking for a friend.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (October 22nd, 2021), TSherbs (October 21st, 2021)

Thanks

And Eurocentric racism, mon frere (my French friend said that)

Thanks

What is racist now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Quick question: In the context of this discussion, is the 'God bless America' sentiment tied to the Protestant ethic and the associated rise in capitalism? Asking for a friend.
    No.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

dneal (October 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    What is racist now?
    European colonial history, mi amigo.
    Last edited by TSherbs; October 21st, 2021 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks

It is not racist to view what is going on in Haiti right now or it's history by being critical. It is racist to use it as excuse for why black people are no better than whites. This is because the focus is on skin color and ascribing value accordingly. Human nature and how wealthy and powerful people seems to live does have an effect on how those with less power and wealth must do to survive.

I've said this before, and something Dr. King said, "you don't tell a bootless man to pull himself up by his boots straps, that is exactly what many white American think. We look at the poor and those involved in gangs and think the historical collective "we" didn't play a role.

Deciding to think differently will be impossible for some because they will fail to ever self educated themselves and will settle for smug, easily digested stories of convenience from others. However, for those willing, there is a wealth of true histories. As more avail themselves of the truth, perhaps the US can get past their past.

When you consider the generational wealth of Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, and their use of forced labor, why would they ever be considered heros without false histories? Who would not benefit if you had their wealth, education, and opportunity. To think an African slave, simply by being emancipated can have the same outcome of a rich man with free labor, your are not thinking or worse, brainwashed. Or, more worse, just because you'd rather not believe it.

Thanks

Interesting thoughts Chuck.
    How would you relate them to the topic of government harvesting your personal financial information?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Interesting thoughts Chuck.
    How would you relate them to the topic of government harvesting your personal financial information?
    I was more reponding to EOC's posts.