Thread: Does your pen collection have any supporting themes or stories?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Default Does your pen collection have any supporting themes or stories?

I posted about not accepting my grandfather's Sheaffer fountain pens (being a wrongheaded barbarian).

So my first fountain pen was a gift from a favorite lit prof who told me I might have a future as a writer: a black Osmiroid that was inhabited by a demon.

It had a medium italic nib that was catchy—months before I could write a page without several nasty blots. It was also subject to clogs and fouling (perhaps I used India ink at first). But, in any event, I used it to write letters, keep journals, and draft the poems that became my first book.

Later, when I sent off the manuscript of my first nonfiction book to a NYC publisher, I decided to buy a fountain pen to celebrate and commemorate the event. Since water— rain, snow, lakes, streams— was central to the book, I decided on a blue pen, but had no idea— living in a remote cabin in Wyoming— where to find one. A girlfriend handed me a Levenger catalogue and I fell in love: a luminous blue Sheaffer Connaisseur.

Since then, I celebrate significant publications with a pen that recalls the event. For instance, when a couple poems appeared in Poetry Ireland Review, I bought vintage Sheaffer jade pens to restore, followed by matching pencils.

Are there untold stories behind your collection of pens?

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Barry Gabay (October 8th, 2021), carlos.q (October 7th, 2021), da vinci (October 9th, 2021), fountainpenkid (October 8th, 2021), guyy (October 7th, 2021), Jon Szanto (October 7th, 2021), Kaputnik (October 13th, 2021), Lloyd (October 7th, 2021), mizgeorge (October 7th, 2021), penwash (October 7th, 2021), Yazeh (October 9th, 2021)