Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Sale: Pelikan 140 Oblique Italic flex nib

Thanks

Default For Sale: Pelikan 140 Oblique Italic flex nib

Pelikan Oblique Italic flex nib. One of my favorites but I think its ready for a new home. Meant for a right handed writer it cuts a beautiful line on the page and is a special pen to write with. Clean and preserved well like all my pens and in wonderful condition. writes a little wet and the nib has a wonderful flex to it that is satisfying and easy to control. Not a wet noodle but will put the ink down evenly and in thick rich lines when you write. I hope it finds a nice home here with another Pelikan collector. Chamber is clear and easy to see ink levels the piston moves smoothly and there are no major issues with the pen either functionally or cosmetically.
    Asking $150 shipped OBO for CONUS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Liamtyr; October 11th, 2021 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: For Sale: Pelikan 140 Oblique Italic flex nib

Sent a pm.

Thanks

Still available and a great addition to your collection

Thanks

Bump.
    Last edited by UltraExtraFineIrishman; October 14th, 2021 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

Still available for a good home. Lovely pen that will serve you well

Thanks

Did someone grind the nib, or is it factory?
    If so then it is a normal semi-flex oblique stub and not 'Italic Flex'; what ever that is.
    '50-65 most Pelikan nibs were factory semi-flex stubs.
    Oblique is best from that era.

For an OF, that looks like Nib Abuse to me..........someone trying to make it go superflex instead of a safe (regular/semi/maxi-semi-flex set) 3 X tine spread.

Has the nib been sprung??? Fully or only half way??

Do read Richard Binder's article on metal fatigue on his site.

Thanks

I had wondered for years why folks said they wrote so slow with semi-flex, when I just scribbled along at normal speed.

Semi-flex is not a superflex calligraphy pen. It is a flair pen..............unless the nib is abused. Flair some of the letter is wider than the rest....naturally, not 'Drawing Letters."

Th thin or medium lines are with in 'normal' usage. The superfat X's are IMO 'Nib Abuse' the tines are spread too wide................yes it can be gotten away with for a short while, but for how many years has that nib been abused by folks over flexing the nib.

Not only is the last line isway over flexed I see the line above that as maxed or over maxed for the whole line, not single letter or a fancy decender.
    .....that last line of X's is "Nib Abuse!!!"

One sees such 'work' on various Youtubes and Sales paper like shown....where the nib is being sprung for your convenience.
    IMO many don't understand over-maxing a nib is not what it is supposed to do. Semi-flex is not a calligraphy nib.......no matter how many over stress it for viewing or sale.
    Even maxing a nib should be limited.
    I have a Superflex Pelikan 100n, that will go max of 5 X, so I strive to go no more than 4 X............same for Wet Noodles, one level under that nib's max.

As noobie coming in from nails and regular flex....with my first semi-flex a 140 OB, I was heavy handed and wrote at a max of 3X often for some six weeks......I'd not tried to be fancy and draw Olympic splits with the nib. Between 6-12 weeks my Hand lightened until finally I wasn't writing with the nib at 2X, but 1 1/2 to 1.

My Hand had gotten lighter, so I could get line variation 'on demand'. One has to have a lighter Hand, to demand and have space to expand one's demand, only occasionally out to a max.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 17th, 2021 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Yawn.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Liamtyr (October 20th, 2021), Obi-Wan Penobi (October 18th, 2021)

Thanks

Boring if a Nail user, eh?
    Ah, you sell such pre-sprung nibs to the noobies?
    One of the two.

Thanks

Neither. Just so tired of the same cracked, illiterate, old record complete with borrowed pictures and flex mumbo jumbo.

Apologies to Liam for the derailing of his perfectly legitimate and sensibly worded sales post.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Liamtyr (October 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo Olson View Post
    I had wondered for years why folks said they wrote so slow with semi-flex, when I just scribbled along at normal speed.

Semi-flex is not a superflex calligraphy pen. It is a flair pen..............unless the nib is abused. Flair some of the letter is wider than the rest....naturally, not 'Drawing Letters."

Th thin or medium lines are with in 'normal' usage. The superfat X's are IMO 'Nib Abuse' the tines are spread too wide................yes it can be gotten away with for a short while, but for how many years has that nib been abused by folks over flexing the nib.
    Not only is the last line isway over flexed I see the line above that as maxed or over maxed for the whole line, not single letter or a fancy decender.
    .....that last line of X's is "Nib Abuse!!!"

One sees such 'work' on various Youtubes and Sales paper like shown....where the nib is being sprung for your convenience.
    IMO many don't understand over-maxing a nib is not what it is supposed to do. Semi-flex is not a calligraphy nib.......no matter how many over stress it for viewing or sale.
    Even maxing a nib should be limited.
    I have a Superflex Pelikan 100n, that will go max of 5 X, so I strive to go no more than 4 X............same for Wet Noodles, one level under that nib's max.

As noobie coming in from nails and regular flex....with my first semi-flex a 140 OB, I was heavy handed and wrote at a max of 3X often for some six weeks......I'd not tried to be fancy and draw Olympic splits with the nib. Between 6-12 weeks my Hand lightened until finally I wasn't writing with the nib at 2X, but 1 1/2 to 1.

My Hand had gotten lighter, so I could get line variation 'on demand'. One has to have a lighter Hand, to demand and have space to expand one's demand, only occasionally out to a max.
    Could you re-post this in English? Or wait, don't bother. Have you no shame, making baseless comments like this in response to someone's listing?

@Liamtyr: nice pen. Hope you find a good new home for it.
    Last edited by Obi-Wan Penobi; October 18th, 2021 at 04:54 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obi-Wan Penobi For This Useful Post:

Liamtyr (October 20th, 2021), mizgeorge (October 18th, 2021)

Thanks

No shame At All!!! The man is over stressing the nib of the pen he is selling....and there are folks like you who don't realize it....nor how easy it is to spring a nib.

Yep, I'd tell the guy the horse he was looking to by only got three legs too.

Have you read the article by Richard Binder in his site about metal fatigue? It opened my eyes, a long time ago, as I was getting into semi-flex.

And yes I do use a borrowed set of pictures shown to me once for advice. I had not realized until then, how come folks were complaining about how slow writing with a semi-flex nib was for them.............they were like the picture over stressing the nib trying to do calligraphy letter drawing with it.
    It's a long standing problem. A perfect example of what not to do.

I don't have any photo's my self doing such abuse...in I strive not to abuse my nibs.
    If my pen wasn't superflex, I'd not think of making the tines spread as far apart as those borrowed pictures.

I do have old superflex nibs so I don't have to over stress semi-flex nibs. There are modern chopped and sliced superflex nibs that one can buy with out breaking the bank.

I don't want to spend money having sprung nibs worked on....and I do have enough honor not to even think about selling a sprung nib...which I don't have.

I'm assuming the OP just didn't know better having seen many semi-flex nibs over stressed on Youtube or selling pictures on Ebay, where such abuse is 'normal'. I would never buy such a nib.....has it become mushy?
    Is it Sprung?

Read what Richard said.

That is an F nib, and F back then wrote 1/2 a width narrower than modern Pelikan gold nibs. The writing gets quite wide for a 3 X tine spread F, if one don't want to over stress the nib.

MisG...you can put me on your Ignore list.

There are others that might learn something new to them. If not, and it bores you, do put me on the list.

Obie...do do your English trick, you can dangle a gerund or something.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 18th, 2021 at 06:03 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

724Seney (October 18th, 2021), guyy (October 19th, 2021), Rella215 (October 29th, 2021), Seattleite (October 19th, 2021)

Thanks

TL;DR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo Olson View Post
    No shame At All!!! The man is over stressing the nib of the pen he is selling....and there are folks like you who don't realize it....nor how easy it is to spring a nib.

Yep, I'd tell the guy the horse he was looking to by only got three legs too.

Have you read the article by Richard Binder in his site about metal fatigue? It opened my eyes, a long time ago, as I was getting into semi-flex.

And yes I do use a borrowed set of pictures shown to me once for advice. I had not realized until then, how come folks were complaining about how slow writing with a semi-flex nib was for them.............they were like the picture over stressing the nib trying to do calligraphy letter drawing with it.
    It's a long standing problem. A perfect example of what not to do.

I don't have any photo's my self doing such abuse...in I strive not to abuse my nibs.
    If my pen wasn't superflex, I'd not think of making the tines spread as far apart as those borrowed pictures.

I do have old superflex nibs so I don't have to over stress semi-flex nibs. There are modern chopped and sliced superflex nibs that one can buy with out breaking the bank.

I don't want to spend money having sprung nibs worked on....and I do have enough honor not to even think about selling a sprung nib...which I don't have.

I'm assuming the OP just didn't know better having seen many semi-flex nibs over stressed on Youtube or selling pictures on Ebay, where such abuse is 'normal'. I would never buy such a nib.....has it become mushy?
    Is it Sprung?

Read what Richard said.

That is an F nib, and F back then wrote 1/2 a width narrower than modern Pelikan gold nibs. The writing gets quite wide for a 3 X tine spread F, if one don't want to over stress the nib.

MisG...you can put me on your Ignore list.

There are others that might learn something new to them. If not, and it bores you, do put me on the list.

Obie...do do your English trick, you can dangle a gerund or something.
    Actually, I find it beyond shameful that you Bobo, as one who's native tongue is not English, yet tries to make an educated, informed post in English gets disrespected so badly by someone(s) who seems to think he or she has the purview to serve as a self appointed officer in the loyal order of the English speaking grammar police.

Whether it is proper or improper to make evidenced based corrections of errors in sales posts here is a hotly contested topic. I, for one, as a potential buyer would appreciate knowing if something in the sales post is incorrect. Incorrect does not imply that the seller is a crook or a scammer....although that is always possible. I also believe the person providing the correction should feel the obligation to provide the evidence to back up their claim. Along the way, it also helps if the person making the correction has the added credibility of being an expert on the type of pen in question. I believe you have provided ample evidence that your correction is a valid one BoBo and you are indeed a widely respected expert on Pelikans. So, I thank you for your helpful post.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Rella215 (October 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

AFAIAC he is not a widely respected expert on Pelikans or flexible nibs. And there has been quite the debate about crapping in other people's sales threads - TL,DR, don't do that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    AFAIAC he is not a widely respected expert on Pelikans or flexible nibs. And there has been quite the debate about crapping in other people's sales threads - TL,DR, don't do that.
    That's fine. AFAIAC he is.
    You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

There is no argument, however, about the fact that there has been much debate about inserting a negative comment into other people's sales threads.
    Personally, I see no place for a disparaging comment about someone in their sales post (unless it is a "outing" scammer) but when there is something in the post which is factually incorrect I have no problem whatsoever with an evidence based correction.
    Again, understanding that your opinion may differ from mine, if I listed something for sale and I was not representing it correctly I would certainly want to know about it so I could get it corrected. How about you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post

Actually, I find it beyond shameful that you Bobo, as one who's native tongue is not English, yet tries to make an educated, informed post in English gets disrespected so badly by someone(s) who seems to think he or she has the purview to serve as a self appointed officer in the loyal order of the English speaking grammar police.

Whether it is proper or improper to make evidenced based corrections of errors in sales posts here is a hotly contested topic. I, for one, as a potential buyer would appreciate knowing if something in the sales post is incorrect. Incorrect does not imply that the seller is a crook or a scammer....although that is always possible. I also believe the person providing the correction should feel the obligation to provide the evidence to back up their claim. Along the way, it also helps if the person making the correction has the added credibility of being an expert on the type of pen in question. I believe you have provided ample evidence that your correction is a valid one BoBo and you are indeed a widely respected expert on Pelikans. So, I thank you for your helpful post.
    You need to think a little harder before posting something like this. I think you'll find that Mr Olson (or whatever he's really called) is a native 'English' speaker, regardless of having lived in Europe for a long time. Ironically, you've chosen instead to attack someone who has taken the time to learn and use English properly, despite it not being their mother tongue.

This has nothing to do with grammar, but is about someone spouting the same tired old spiel again and again, regardless of whether it's right or wrong. Repeating something many, many times, adding to it, modifying it and then repeating it again does make anyone an expert, it just makes them repetitive and dull.

There are some very widely respected experts on Pelikans, a number of whom are even members here. None of them have posted on this thread.

The comments made about the original post are incorrect, irrelevant and unfair to the OP, who seems to be just a decent guy selling a pen - actually a nice looking pen that shows absolutely no sign of having been 'abused' in any way. He has made no claims of extreme flexibility - in fact has made a point of stating that the nib is NOT a 'wet noodle' and the use of the word 'italic' to describe a factory oblique is perfectly in keeping with modern convention. If I were in the market for another 140, I'd cheerfully buy it.

For the OP, I am SO sorry this has happened to your thread. I would highly recommend that you close it, and start it again - it's a nice looking pen and deserves better than this sort of bollocks.
    Last edited by mizgeorge; October 18th, 2021 at 08:16 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Obi-Wan Penobi (October 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

From what I read in the OP and see in the pictures the nib is oblique and does have a difference in line variation between horizontal and vertical strokes that are similar to what you would see from an italic nib. It probably doesn't have the crispness of a true italic. While it may be technically incorrect to call it italic it does no harm to draw attention to that line variation by using the term. The pictures speak for themselves and a question to the seller about sharpness would suffice rather than someone wading saying 'ya got it all wrong.'

As for the flex, that is such a subjective term that anyone using it is likely to be upbraided by someone else. Again the pictures show no obvious stress marks on the nib and a reasonable amount of flexibility. I don't think it is misrepresentative.

To answer your question (724seney): yes I would of course like to know if something is misrepresented but I don't think this is a nice/decent way to find out.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 18th, 2021 at 08:27 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

724Seney (October 19th, 2021), Liamtyr (October 20th, 2021)

Thanks

OP.

I would suggest that you mark this as SOLD and readvertise.

Not our finest hour.

There is something to be said for not taking over the sales posts of others.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Liamtyr (October 20th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Fact is the Pelikan and Montblanc pens of the 50s are NO FLEX PENS most are semi-flex (some a bit more, some a bit less, or even rigid).
    Often they are sold as „flex“ pens, but they aren’t, but the word „flex“ sells.

Don’t get me wrong, I consider the 50s Pelikan pens as some of the best pens ever made, I just love them, there construction and semi-flex nibs are fantastic.

But they are no flex pens.

I hope the „semi-flex“ pen from above find a good home, the oblique nibs are awesome.

In seller photos the writing samples often show massive line variations, produced only by pushing the nibs down with brute force until they beg for mercy.
    No semi-flex nib will tolerate such stress for a longer period of time until it will be damaged permanently.

But flex sells…….
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; October 19th, 2021 at 12:27 AM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

724Seney (October 19th, 2021), BoBo Olson (October 19th, 2021), guyy (October 19th, 2021)