Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fountain Pen Fads?

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pen Fads?

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Scheduled disassembly of pens.
    As applied to Parker 51s, where the poster would take the pen completely apart for cleaning. Particularly popular on FPN. Yeah, I always thought this psychotic.

I have a 51 I bought new in 1970. Never had the hood off. Used laundry white ink and India ink in it when I was in USAF, and flushed the pen after. Still the best working 51 of the many I have had. Proud to say I don't take them apart unless they break.
    I have a 51 vacumatic that my Grandad gave me as I was going into the third grade [early 1950's]. The pen is 1946/47. I still write with it daily. It has never been disassembled. The plunger can be a bit erratic at times. But it fills and writes the same as it always has. I have flushed it occasionally with distilled water over the years, but as it is always inked and used so even that practice is rare. Suppose that some day I may have to have the "vacuum sac and ball" replaced....... but not yet!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Inks with tons of feed clogging glitter that perpetuates the "take-apart-all-the-pens!" meme.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 13th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (October 13th, 2021), TSherbs (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Inks with tons of feed clogging glitter that perpetuates the "take-apart-all-the-pens!" meme.
    Said ink once killed a Preppy.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,253 Posts

I must not be enough of a purist. I have modern acrylic pens that I love, use shimmer to my heart's content (in said modern pens), write with inks that look like old rinsing water and play with flex. I take pens apart when I need to (or want to) and tinker with them. I grind nibs into shapes I like and then use them with my faddy inks. And I'm very content in my little sandpit.

Does it really matter as long as we're happy with what we're doing?

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

although (October 24th, 2021), amk (October 20th, 2021), Chrissy (October 17th, 2021), eachan (October 14th, 2021), PenInvestigations (October 26th, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (October 19th, 2021), Scrawler (October 26th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (October 13th, 2021), TFarnon (October 14th, 2021), thi (October 27th, 2021), TSherbs (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

From the perspective of the non-fountain pen world I suspect that using fountain pens is in itself something of a fad.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

amk (October 20th, 2021), fountainpenkid (October 13th, 2021), Jon Szanto (October 13th, 2021), PenInvestigations (October 24th, 2021), rickap (October 13th, 2021), TFarnon (October 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I must not be enough of a purist. I have modern acrylic pens that I love, use shimmer to my heart's content (in said modern pens), write with inks that look like old rinsing water and play with flex. I take pens apart when I need to (or want to) and tinker with them. I grind nibs into shapes I like and then use them with my faddy inks. And I'm very content in my little sandpit.

The dark side I sense in this one.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I must not be enough of a purist....
    You're fine. Just some good-natured bellyaching going on here.

I love my Emerald of Chivor, but I also have chuckled at all the shimmer inks being pushed out on the market.

Buy anything you want! That's sometimes what energizes fads, after all.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

At the personal level, of course it matters not.
    As you said, you are free to choose whatever strikes your fancy and tinker with pens as you see fit.

The way I see this thread, is a discussion on what trends are (or were) "in" these days.
    It is not a critic on anyone's choice, nor it is an essay on the current affair.

Just musings between pen geeks playing arm-chair "what-ifs" and "what-I-think"...

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

15. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks

I have followed a few fads, but settled back with pens I have liked since I was young. Parker 51 aero, Sheaffer Touchdown Imperials and Montblanc 144s. I like these pens because they remind that when I used them when I was young I felt a lot batter than I feel at 73, These pens also work better than the later stuff I tried.

Thanks

Burn the witch!*

Actually I use shimmer inks to my heart's content too. The only difference is my heart is only content if they're nowhere near me!

*Because some people are so very earnest, I am, of course, joking.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

guyy (October 16th, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (October 19th, 2021)

Thanks

Really skinny pens (yes 70's I am looking at you)

Really fat oversize pens (the present)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

amk (October 20th, 2021), guyy (October 16th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Really skinny pens (yes 70's I am looking at you)

Really fat oversize pens (the present)
    I laughed at that. The only really skinny pen I own is my late wife's cross. She had very small, petite hands and it suited her grip.

I did own a skinny Parker that I did not like from the moment I first held and used it. It was gifted to someone at the first opportunity.

Thanks

Using fountain pens.

Dug out my old Cross select tip pens. Fiber tip in a MB 163 rollerball pen. Found the ballpoints I used in college in the late sixties. Original refills still working. And the skinny Cross ballpoints too. The Cross desk ballpoints have nice walnut bases.

A bunch of P51s are still good. An old fad still using original sacs. Keep replacing those twist converters.

Thanks

Being retired for 13 years and therefore LOM confined, I missed all those new fad pens. In All I could afford at first were cheap old pens (way before Chinese pens came in), then found out I could buy Affordable ex-flagships.

Outside of three On-Sale pens, the only new pens I bought were the 200's....yep, some are LE, one turned into normal issue.
    The translucent amethyst one was good enough for me, being able to see what was going on without clear plastic.
    I knew how it worked but one, one what the hell is ok. It's just dark enough one can't see the small splatters of near invisible ink....so don't worry about cleaning it often.

What I really suggest for Demonstrators is to keep it NOS.....that way it don't have to be taken apart because the invisible ink is visible. One can see exactly how it works.
    Ink colors can be seen in their glass bottles.

Herbin Stormy Gray, glitter ink impressed me. The glitter really perked up the dark ink.
    I do have some various colored Diamine glitter inks that are in shading inks...in I was looking for a 2 in 1.................there is less glitter than expected. Those I have to turn the paper in the sun light to see it well. The shading is a bit less than hoped.

Sheen....still looking for that stuff...on good paper. with a wide range of nibs..........even had old fashioned good name inks. More than likely from before they added sheen stuff to the newer versions.
    Sheen's new, only the last 5-6 years a must.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 20th, 2021 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Artisanal swirly acrylic.
    I like it. It makes attractive pens. The intent is not really different to the colourful celluloids of the past. If my circumstances were not completely straitened I would cheer up my desk with something like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Artisanal swirly acrylic.
    I like it. It makes attractive pens. The intent is not really different to the colourful celluloids of the past. If my circumstances were not completely straitened I would cheer up my desk with something like that.
    I like some. In the context of this thread, the elevation of materials by individual makers feels newish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelcj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Scheduled disassembly of pens.
    As applied to Parker 51s, where the poster would take the pen completely apart for cleaning. Particularly popular on FPN. Yeah, I always thought this psychotic.

I have a 51 I bought new in 1970. Never had the hood off. Used laundry white ink and India ink in it when I was in USAF, and flushed the pen after. Still the best working 51 of the many I have had. Proud to say I don't take them apart unless they break.
    I have a 51 vacumatic that my Grandad gave me as I was going into the third grade [early 1950's]. The pen is 1946/47. I still write with it daily. It has never been disassembled. The plunger can be a bit erratic at times. But it fills and writes the same as it always has. I have flushed it occasionally with distilled water over the years, but as it is always inked and used so even that practice is rare. Suppose that some day I may have to have the "vacuum sac and ball" replaced....... but not yet!
    ===============================================

Amazing! My 51 Vacs had sacs fail in ten years or less. I still have a 51 demi vac that works after 5 years. EF nib. Scratchmeister.