Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The cult of “anti racism” has fully taken over the NFL

Thanks

Default Re: The cult of “anti racism” has fully taken over the NFL

In the article he said one of the things he said was not race related but it was label as racism.

It is just sad to see the world growing darker (including coaches who are supposed to set a good example. Side note how hasn’t Urban Meyer not been fired). I am glad I haven’t got all that I deserve

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    In the article he said one of the things he said was not race related but it was label as racism.

It is just sad to see the world growing darker (including coaches who are supposed to set a good example. Side note how hasn’t Urban Meyer not been fired). I am glad I haven’t got all that I deserve
    This is not the claim that you began this thread with. You called caring about racism and other bigotry a "cult" and you declared that football was dead.

If your point is to say that you wish more mercy was practiced in the world, then you should not have opened with such histrionics. Gruden can give up his job and still receive mercy and forgiveness.

And by the way, his "apology" was weak. Even God's mercy is actually predicated usually on a sincerely contrite heart, one that has been clearly humbled. That was not the case with Gruden's public statements.

Thanks

I was just bemoaning that politics (all of which seems pretty toxic) had fully infiltrated the NFL. Specifically I addressed cancel culture, from Dr. Kendi’s anti racism cult which is steeped in politics, invading and destroying rather than enlightening and redeeming (yes you can care about partially without joining that worldview). I just want to watch my team lose without politics

Thanks

I was just bemoaning that politics (all of which seems pretty toxic) had fully infiltrated the NFL. Specifically I addressed cancel culture, from Dr. Kendi’s anti racism cult which is steeped in politics, invading and destroying rather than enlightening and redeeming (yes you can care about partially without joining that worldview). I just want to watch my team lose without politics
    You're the one bringing "politics" into it. Make the change you seek in the NFL, within yourself. Let go of this notion of yours that anti-racism is a "cult." After all, the Romans called Christianity a cult and executed its members. You might want to remember that to help your perspective.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Soooo ... no more football?

Good riddance. Yank football is a militaristic, corporate bore.

Soccer football is a better game and so is rugby (Go All Blacks!)

Haha. Football (as it's known everywhere but in the US, haha) is certainly dramatic. Near fatal injuries with instant recoveries are hilarious. And that one guy with the teeth, Luis (?) the biter, hahaha. Thought that happened only in boxing.

I also have watched a lot of handball and ski-jumping. (Who am I?!)

BTW: I didn't watch the Olympics this last time 'round, cos technical problems with the TV and antenna that I'm not bothering to address, but the time or two before that, I was astonished by how much of the Olympics I was able to view while in Poland as opposed to the commercial-saturated, USA-centric (which, yeah, I get that) "coverage" in the States. Here, there were extended periods of coverage, with commercials shown in a block of, I don't remember, five or ten minutes, maybe 20. I know why that model doesn't work in the US, but, man, it's a superior Olympics-viewing experience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 16th, 2021)

Thanks

I was just bemoaning that politics (all of which seems pretty toxic) had fully infiltrated the NFL.
    The quest for justice and equity is not "toxic," any more than Jesus was "toxic" when he overturned the tables in the temple or stopped the hands of those rock throwers from killing the adulteress or when he multiplied the loaves and fish to feed the many or when he told the people that they were destined for punishment for by denying food and comfort to the lowest of society they were also denying it to their Christ.

You seem to be picking and choosing which acts of mercy and justice meet your standard of "cult"-ish arbitrarily (or by bigoted standards.) Part of "justice" is that persons of high power and public prominence sometimes lose their jobs when they tarnish their public image.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post

Should we speculate what an examination of the texts and emails of the performers chosen for the Super Bowl half-time show would reveal?
    Sounds like you already have done this speculation: "What about dem blacks?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I was just bemoaning that politics (all of which seems pretty toxic) had fully infiltrated the NFL.
    The quest for justice and equity is not "toxic," any more than Jesus was "toxic" when he overturned the tables in the temple or stopped the hands of those rock throwers from killing the adulteress or when he multiplied the loaves and fish to feed the many or when he told the people that they were destined for punishment for by denying food and comfort to the lowest of society they were also denying it to their Christ.

You seem to be picking and choosing which acts of mercy and justice meet your standard of "cult"-ish arbitrarily (or by bigoted standards.) Part of "justice" is that persons of high power and public prominence sometimes lose their jobs when they tarnish their public image.
    Well said!! When I read @Bold2013 reply, my first response was, did he/she change their mind since the OP.

I first experienced this "go along to get along" as a young adult, maybe 21, in a Baptist church where I had been reading the scriptures and noticed that how we operated in the church was not consistant with what the Bible said. The more I protested, the worse it got. I eventually left the denomination. We see this tendancy to tell people how they have to think if they want to be a part of the team. I say to hell with the team if the team is wrong.

Thanks

Jesus was the original Christian (I know, he was a Jew) to say, "Stop playing for that team! They have it wrong! Come join my team, before it is too late...."
    Last edited by TSherbs; October 16th, 2021 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks

Justice can mean different things to different people. Man made justice can’t fix the mess it made. I am interested in a redemptive justice that is eternal rather than a redistribution that is temporal. Gods justice is justice, social justice is neo Marxism.

Do you think a flat tax fair? equal? Just?

Thanks

I first experienced this "go along to get along" as a young adult, maybe 21, in a Baptist church where I had been reading the scriptures and noticed that how we operated in the church was not consistant with what the Bible said. The more I protested, the worse it got. I eventually left the denomination. We see this tendancy to tell people how they have to think if they want to be a part of the team. I say to hell with the team if the team is wrong.[/QUOTE]

That’s refreshing to hear. Reading and studying the Bible for yourself really opens the eyes to the many fallacies of modern evangelicalism.

Thanks

... I am interested in a redemptive justice that is eternal rather than a redistribution that is temporal. Gods justice is justice, social justice is neo Marxism.
    Worldly justice comes in other forms, not only distributive. There, are, for example, both punitive and restorative forms, and these are much more common. Distributive justice has nothing to do with the Gruden football case. The Gruden case is about employee contracts and public relations and leadership. And Gruden resigned, technically.

And social justice is not "neo Marxism". I can't imagine where you get that idea from.

(I'm not interested in a tax discussion. You started this thread on the Gruden case around bigotry and being an NFL head coach).
    Last edited by TSherbs; October 16th, 2021 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks

I first experienced this "go along to get along" as a young adult, maybe 21, in a Baptist church where I had been reading the scriptures and noticed that how we operated in the church was not consistant with what the Bible said. The more I protested, the worse it got. I eventually left the denomination. We see this tendancy to tell people how they have to think if they want to be a part of the team. I say to hell with the team if the team is wrong.
    That’s refreshing to hear. Reading and studying the Bible for yourself really opens the eyes to the many fallacies of modern evangelicalism.[/QUOTE]

Like supporting an opportunist like Trump disguised as a conservative.

Thanks

I agree that Trump wasn’t truly conservative

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (October 16th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Haha. Football (as it's known everywhere but in the US, haha) is certainly dramatic.
    NFL football is notable for how much time the players spend wandering about and scratching their parts, as opposed to playing the game.

Which serves the corporate interests, e.g. Big Beer, allowing plenty of time for viewers to get bored, swill beer, and revisit the refrigerator for more.

Thanks

I agree that Trump wasn’t truly conservative
    Trump is an opportunist. Read Mary Trump's book for the rest of the story. It's in your library and will not cost you anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Haha. Football (as it's known everywhere but in the US, haha) is certainly dramatic.
    NFL football is notable for how much time the players spend wandering about and scratching their parts, as opposed to playing the game.

Which serves the corporate interests, e.g. Big Beer, allowing plenty of time for viewers to get bored, swill beer, and revisit the refrigerator for more.
    Fair, but let's also note how much drinking and corporate sponsorsgip money is involved in FIFA. FIFA and European football are also rank with corporate monied interests and brute behavior (including issues with racism). I love soccer, by the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

There's something about team sports, some atavistic tribal thing, that stimulates aggressive displays and violent behavior, sometimes petty and sometimes worse.

I remember the sports mania in high school: hazing, bullying, drunkenness, fights after games. I was on the basketball team and more than once we had to battle our way to the bus leaving an away game. In the individual sports I took part in—swimming, tennis, track— there wasn't that group aggression that surrounds football and basketball.

Thanks

Should we speculate what an examination of the texts and emails of the performers chosen for the Super Bowl half-time show would reveal?
    I have. I suspect that they are about the same, but won't be examined because the spectacle must go on. Bread and circuses.
    I have no idea what point your question is trying to make. Eminem is white.

Thanks

I have. I suspect that they are about the same, but won't be examined because the spectacle must go on. Bread and circuses.
    I have no idea what point your question is trying to make. Eminem is white.
    Sorry. I have trouble reading the tone of your short answers in the form of questions.

I don't think that we should "speculate" on anyone's emails. And that's not why Gruden resigned, either (on "speculation").