Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB pollution

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Unhappy WTB pollution

Based on JDVO's posts here, I am editing this OP.

New members must be on notice that scammers have more numerous lately, and even legitimate posts that appear similar to posts of swindlers will damage your reputation right off the bat. So if you are new, use common sense to earn trust with other members before making sales offers. Your first posts to FPGeeks shouldn't be offers of expensive pens in response to WTB listings. Keep in mind this is primarily a hobby forum.

Word must be spreading across the dark web that pen people are lucrative targets. It seems scammers are not only more numerous lately, but also much more obvious.

JDVO's shotgun approach to want-to-buy ads using wording reminiscent of past scammers, posted only 4 minutes apart, justifiably raises suspicion.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 73255AM.jpg

Unlike scammers that remain silent when outed, JDVO has responded to my doubts with photos and descriptions of his offerings. Interested buyers need only use their common sense, too. If you like the transactions, by all means, share the joy.
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 12th, 2021 at 08:39 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (October 22nd, 2021), Chrissy (October 12th, 2021), PenInvestigations (October 25th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (October 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: WTB pollution

Yes Fred I agree with you. I also spotted that JVDO has everything that everyone wants. LOL. Like that's ever possible?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (October 22nd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (October 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Boy, you guys are welcoming. I have them all. Perhaps sending to the back room is the way to go. You have no idea what I do for a living and to attack me outright is BS. For that Chrissy and Fredrydr you may not purchase any of my pens. I purchased over 80 pens and shot gunned the forum that Ive been lurking in for over a week. I have limited time to do this and if offended I apologize but assure you I'm real with pens in hand. Perhaps challenge me to prove Im real instead of outright defaming my posts. You will be sorry for being banned from my sales. Some of us work for a living and don't have hours to spend on the internet.

Thanks

I purchased this collection from an ill friend with tens of thousands of dollars. He was a lifelong Omas fiend. 17 to be exac including limited editions and several pens with multiple nibs. Oh, and he is type A. I have some business cards from whom he purchased. He preferred Nibs.com. Challenge me to prove who I am and what I have. This collection is over 80 pens, I dont have photos of all but can. Test me! What would prove it to you? I get out of work 5pm EST.pen5.pngpen1.pngpen6.pngpen3.pngpen4.png
    Last edited by JVDO; October 12th, 2021 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks

BOOM

Thanks

Not everyone in this world is out to cheat you. I am as honest as they come and am truly in possession of these pens. Ask specific questions and I will tell you if I have it or might have it. PM me, I will give you my cell phone and we can chat or even facetime or skype. Everyone except Chrissy and Fredrydr can still take a chance and likely get the pen they have been looking a long time to find. Good way to get my posts up. Now I'm done and absolutely must get to work.

Thanks

With respect JVDO, you are not coming across well at all, we are quieter than this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 12th, 2021)

Thanks

With respect, when insulted one cannot be quiet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JVDO View Post
    With respect, when insulted one cannot be quiet.
    Ok, it is up to you.

Put me on your No Go list too.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Boy, you guys are welcoming. I have them all. Perhaps sending to the back room is the way to go. You have no idea what I do for a living and to attack me outright is BS. For that Chrissy and Fredrydr you may not purchase any of my pens. I purchased over 80 pens and shot gunned the forum that Ive been lurking in for over a week. I have limited time to do this and if offended I apologize but assure you I'm real with pens in hand. Perhaps challenge me to prove Im real instead of outright defaming my posts. You will be sorry for being banned from my sales. Some of us work for a living and don't have hours to spend on the internet.
    I haven't defamed anyone's posts but nevertheless remain satisfied to be banned from buying any of your pens. If reviving loads of really old WTB ads on FPG is your method of selling pens then this will be a very long term event for you. The reason you flagged up is because others usually PM the members concerned. Good luck with your sales.
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 12th, 2021 at 10:25 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Really old interests never usually go away and if I have the pen they want, helpful to both. Maybe purge the listings if they are of no value to the site.

Thanks

JVDO,
    The standard way to prove that you really have the pens you claim you do is to take a picture of the pen lying on a sheet of paper with today's date on it. That makes it fairly hard to re-use photos gleaned from eBay or somewhere.

Taking offense when criticised is often a sign that the criticism is accurate.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

guyy (October 12th, 2021), TSherbs (October 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stands on Feet View Post
    JVDO,
    The standard way to prove that you really have the pens you claim you do is to take a picture of the pen lying on a sheet of paper with today's date on it. That makes it fairly hard to re-use photos gleaned from eBay or somewhere.

Taking offense when criticised is often a sign that the criticism is accurate.
    Yes (to the above)

Don't take offense, JVDO. That does not reassure anyone that you understand how this is typically done to make buyers willing to purchase goods from total strangers with few guarantees of the security and integrity of the transaction. Buyers have to pay first. So buyers get cautious, especially when you don't follow common protocols from around the internet. Don't you understand this?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Not everyone answering a WTB is a crook, and not everyone grasps the nuances of internet selling etiquette straight off the bat. (The whole pen-lying-on-a-piece-of-paper thing is news to me, and frankly seems not hard to Photoshop, but well, I s'pose I've learnt something). I think there have been some hasty assumptions made, misunderstandings abounding, and perhaps everyone just needs to take a breath and start again.

C'mon, folks, we're in danger of letting the bad guys win and turn us all against each other through simple paranoia here. Use your head, don't use Paypal friends and family or direct transfers, and if it seems too good to be true, assume it is and politely walk away. But don't, please, assume everyone's out to get you. That's a short road to a lonely life.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (October 22nd, 2021), TSherbs (October 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Things have been resolved back channel and tips on selling (and making impressions) on FPGeeks have been shared. It was an unfortunate start for a new member in the midst of these other scammer contacts being reported recently.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (October 22nd, 2021), TSherbs (October 12th, 2021)

Thanks

I dont read the newspaper. I am withdrawing my offer to sell. I understand how I came on strong. I will just keep all these pens. When I laid them in my display, there is no way I can part with them. The collection includes many limited editions complete with ink bottles and micro fiber clothes. a thing of beauty. Now that I am no longer selling anything at all, could someone help me learn more about these pens? I understand the celluloid and the Omas going out of business. I have a ASC as well. What are they like to write with, which ones should I not use, etc. And these are just the 17 Omas! Aurora, Parker Duofold, Visconti etc etc etc. l not sell any pens here so lets talk about what an amazing collection. How best to care for the discolored clips and nib bases? Not many people buy a complete lifelong collection. I had the wrong goal, to make money. I have enough money, but will never have enough pens. My apologies to those I offended due to my ignorance. I forgot how judgmental and negative forums can be, often for good reason.

omasparagon.jpgomasle.jpgomasparagonall2.jpg
    Last edited by JVDO; October 12th, 2021 at 04:42 PM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JVDO For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (October 22nd, 2021), Jon Szanto (October 12th, 2021), mizgeorge (October 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Thank you my friend. I was hoping for a friendly response like this. I will not sell anything but use this site to learn more. I looked at what people wanted and began a dialogue. I never talked price and just wanted to chat.

Thanks

Hmm… discolored clips and nibs? That could be a bad sign.

I’d be worried about celluloid rot. Certain OMAS celluloids are known to disintegrate more quickly than the typical celluloid. The purple and the harlequin are known rotters. Black is usually the safest.

The first thing i’d do would be some triage. I’d isolate any of those OMAS or ASC with anything weird going on because the products of celluloid disintegration can accelerate the process in a neighboring pen.

Thanks

You put yourself on the no go list. Withdrawing all sales.

Thanks

You put yourself on the no go list. Withdrawing all sales.
    You talkin’ to me?