Thread: This is diffreent - Hire out your pens

Thanks

Default This is different- Hire out your pens

https://www.pensharing.com/

Anyone done this? Either hiring out or hired a pen?

I can see more pitfalls than benefits and can imagine problems galore.
    Last edited by Fermata; October 13th, 2021 at 11:55 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

dneal (October 14th, 2021), fountainpenkid (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: This is diffreent - Hire out your pens

I follow Jon on Instagram and have been intrigued by his idea. I have not heard of anything going wrong so far but yeah, I can see something really messing it up for everyone.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Fermata (October 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

How do I get an invite? Is it Euro only?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    How do I get an invite? Is it Euro only?

https://www.pensharing.com/en/infos/how_to_use

Thanks

Oh god, not this discussion again.

https://www.reddit.com/user/pensharing/ << all above board

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...d_be_great_to/ << robust discussion with lots of testimonials.

Bottom line: it has worked remarkably well for years now with trust as a major element of its success. Nobody has had a problem, although yes it doesn't take much imagination to think of some potential pitfalls. If you don't want to share your pens, especially precious pens, nobody is forcing you to. If you want to try someone's pen and it's on Pensharing, give it a go. It is not a scam. It may have flaws, but most things do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eciton View Post

https://www.reddit.com/user/pensharing/ << all above board

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...d_be_great_to/ << robust discussion with lots of testimonials.

Bottom line: it has worked remarkably well for years now with trust as a major element of its success. Nobody has had a problem, although yes it doesn't take much imagination to think of some potential pitfalls. If you don't want to share your pens, especially precious pens, nobody is forcing you to. If you want to try someone's pen and it's on Pensharing, give it a go. It is not a scam. It may have flaws, but most things do.
    Sorry if this has annoyed you.

I don't use Reddit and I cannot recall seeing Pensharing as a business discussed on pen forums in the past.

What I saw was something that could be of interest (or concern) to others and therefore worth posting.
    Last edited by Fermata; October 14th, 2021 at 01:51 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (October 14th, 2021), TSherbs (October 14th, 2021)

Thanks

As Fermata said, not everyone uses Reddit.

Besides, so what if it is on Reddit? Reddit’s structure encourages repetition and consensus. This place has a different set of parameters that make for a different quality of conversation. Ditto for the Other Place and Pentrace so on and so forth. We’re here because we want to have conversations HERE.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (October 14th, 2021), Fermata (October 14th, 2021), penwash (October 14th, 2021), TSherbs (October 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    As Fermata said, not everyone uses Reddit.

Besides, so what if it is on Reddit? Reddit’s structure encourages repetition and consensus. This place has a different set of parameters that make for a different quality of conversation. Ditto for the Other Place and Pentrace so on and so forth. We’re here because we want to have conversations HERE.
    Thank you for your comments Guyy, I was beginning to feel that I had made a mistake in putting Pensharing forward as a topic.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

guyy (October 14th, 2021), TSherbs (October 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Perhaps you'd prefer the one about Noodler's ink? That's a perennial "Oh god, not again" in these parts. Local customs, you know.

I think maybe this has cropped up before, but perhaps that was the Other Place. Aside from the potential for disaster, the idea appeals to me for trying the spendier pens. Unfortunately the sending to and fro securely is a major stumbling block for me, and if I could get to the post office to do that, I'd probably be selling rather than hiring or lending. Regardless of all that, it's rather nice to see that some folks have such faith in their fellow human beings - sometimes it feels like no-one ever trusts anyone anymore - so my heart is lifted by its existence. Thank you for starting the topic, Fermata.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (October 14th, 2021), dneal (October 14th, 2021), guyy (October 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Perhaps you'd prefer the one about Noodler's ink? That's a perennial "Oh god, not again" in these parts. Local customs, you know.

I think maybe this has cropped up before, but perhaps that was the Other Place. Aside from the potential for disaster, the idea appeals to me for trying the spendier pens. Unfortunately the sending to and fro securely is a major stumbling block for me, and if I could get to the post office to do that, I'd probably be selling rather than hiring or lending. Regardless of all that, it's rather nice to see that some folks have such faith in their fellow human beings - sometimes it feels like no-one ever trusts anyone anymore - so my heart is lifted by its existence. Thank you for starting the topic, Fermata.

Thank you.

Having been bitten once I am twice shy, I lent an as new 51 to an experienced pen user, a man that I knew. he wanted to try one pending purchase. after a month of badgering I had the pen back, it was in such bad condition that I thought it had been swapped, perhaps it had.

I think Hertz rent-a-car had this problem, they used to rent out high performance Fords for a weekend, when the car came back it had an engine that looked similar but had been swapped.

We are all different, I would not be happy hiring out my pens for just a few pounds as most of my pens have been fully restored by me, I think too much of them.
    Last edited by Fermata; October 14th, 2021 at 07:56 AM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (October 14th, 2021), dneal (October 14th, 2021), penwash (October 14th, 2021), TSherbs (October 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Default Re: This is different- Hire out your pens

I would totally do this with people I knew, but I only have a few pens worth over $100, and I would not volunteer them (I would miss them too much: I use them every day).

So maybe I wouldn't do it

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: This is different- Hire out your pens

How do you get an invitation code? And does anyone have experience with the program in the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

If I lived in Europe, I would definitely go for it. It would be a great way to try pens before buying them....

Thanks

Hi Fermata

Thanks for raising this - I'm the guy who runs pensharing! Sorry for the late reply!

I launched the service just over 4 years ago and we've now completed over 600 pen hires! Everyone's major concerns are: what if my pen gets lost or damaged in the post and what if my pen gets lost or damaged in use.

The service is UK only for now, and I always insist on using Royal Mail for postage, insured up to the value of the pen, and I'm delighted to confirm that no pens have been lost or damaged in transit. Sure, there have been a few delays here or there but all pens have arrived and arrived in the condition they were sent (I use a sturdy reusable tin to send the pens in)

As for loss or damage in use, again, I'm thrilled to be able to say that the pensharing community takes great care of the pens, and there has been no loss or damage in use either.

I always send a letter with the pen, and usually receive one in return - and the letters always say how much they enjoy the pensharing experience, and either YES they love the pen and must buy one or UGH didn't like it, thanks for saving me from an expensive mistake. I keep all the letters which act as wonderful testimonials.

Last year I also launched inksharing (using the same website) so members can sell ink samples to one another - again, a great way to avoid expensive mistakes or simply to buy less ink - a 50ml bottle usually lasts way too long!

I'd be happy to anser any other questions you have, or just chat about the concept.

All the best, Jon

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonr1971 For This Useful Post:

junglejim (January 5th, 2023), Stands on Feet (January 5th, 2023), TSherbs (January 5th, 2023), Yazeh (January 5th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonr1971 View Post
    Hi Fermata

Thanks for raising this - I'm the guy who runs pensharing! Sorry for the late reply!

I launched the service just over 4 years ago and we've now completed over 600 pen hires! Everyone's major concerns are: what if my pen gets lost or damaged in the post and what if my pen gets lost or damaged in use.

The service is UK only for now, and I always insist on using Royal Mail for postage, insured up to the value of the pen, and I'm delighted to confirm that no pens have been lost or damaged in transit. Sure, there have been a few delays here or there but all pens have arrived and arrived in the condition they were sent (I use a sturdy reusable tin to send the pens in)

As for loss or damage in use, again, I'm thrilled to be able to say that the pensharing community takes great care of the pens, and there has been no loss or damage in use either.

I always send a letter with the pen, and usually receive one in return - and the letters always say how much they enjoy the pensharing experience, and either YES they love the pen and must buy one or UGH didn't like it, thanks for saving me from an expensive mistake. I keep all the letters which act as wonderful testimonials.

Last year I also launched inksharing (using the same website) so members can sell ink samples to one another - again, a great way to avoid expensive mistakes or simply to buy less ink - a 50ml bottle usually lasts way too long!

I'd be happy to anser any other questions you have, or just chat about the concept.

All the best, Jon
    Very cool!

Thanks

Thank you! )

Thanks

HI Will - sorry for the late reply - it's mainly UK but have now expanded to the US.....