Thread: Auch Pelikan pencil woes

Thanks

Default Auch Pelikan pencil woes

Really wasn't sure whether to put this here, under Pencils, or Pelikan, but decided Folks Who Might Know will probably drop in here. So, if you'll forgive me, and also the awful quality of the pictures:

I got a little carried away, forgot what a pain mechanical pencils can be, and bought what I believe is an Auch Pelikan 200. I'd hoped it would need a simple lead clearance and be working again, but I think I have trouble:

auchpelikan20001.jpg

Most specifically, my not-always-good-at-visualising-how-something-works brain, is fairly sure that the brass lead collet should be permanently attached to that mangled (aluminium?) tube and this is the reason why the lead is not even being held, never mind advanced.

auchpelikan20002.jpg

The other end of this tube is a bit wobbly, but firmly attached, so hope it's meant to be like that. I don't think anything else is amiss, but if I'm missing some other fault or faults, I'd better know.

Anyway, I'm desperate looking for any suggestions.

1. I assume spare parts for these are as rare as rocking horse manure, and anyone who had them would be keeping them to him or herself anyway.
    2. Is this repairable? I'm wondering either Wizard Pencil Repairer, or is there something I could achieve with a fresh length of tubing? Wood is more my material of choice, but I'm not afraid to give something a try.
    3. All hope is gone, this is an Ex Pencil, but it has some use as spares.
    4. All hope is gone, it has no value at all (it's not in fabulous shape, I know) but is there an outside chance of a conversion to another mechanism, pencil or pen?
    5. All hope is gone, but it can lie around looking pretty. After all, who doesn't like to gaze upon vintage swirly green Pelikan celluloid?

Thank you if you've read this far, undying gratitude if you can help.

Al
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Default Re: Auch Pelikan pencil woes

Hi Al-

Your Auch-Pelikan 200 mechanical pencil is their so called "Version 2." It was manufactured after 1937. One of the major differences between their Version 1 (produced between 1934-1937) is the very specific components which form the basis of your hypothesis. And, your hypothesis about the relationship of the brass lead collet and the metal tube is correct. (I believe the correct terminology for it is the "cartridge;" hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong about its name.)

It looks to me like all the other components are in good condition.

If you really want the pencil, you might try to find an inexpensive, beat up Version 2 Auch-Pelikan and take the part you need from that pencil and put it into yours.

If it is all more trouble than you think it is worth, send me a PM. I'll purchase your Auch-Pelikan parts from you.

Good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

grainweevil (October 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Thank you for the info, 724Seney. Barely any images of the parts floating about the interweb, but one I did find seemed to have an all brass interior which I assumed would be an earlier incarnation. Version 1?

I was rather afraid that spares would necessitate a donor pencil, but this example would seem to be the inexpensive beat-up version and I need to find a better. Trouble is I know myself too well, and would inevitably then wish to somehow save both. As it is, the concept of trying my hand at making a replacement part is still not yet dead, but if/when I come to my senses, I will certainly PM you!
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Mechanical pencils are, in general, much less amenable to repair work than are fountain pens.
    Lead jams can be fun and easy to clear. I find it gratifying to take a mechanical pencil with a lead jam and bring it back from what was thought by its previous owner to be the graveyard!!
    But, for most other work, there is often nothing that can be done as the internal mechanics are not readily accessible / replaceable.
    In some instances, even simple work like switching out a nose cone which has been badly damaged by some idiot using a pliers on it cannot be performed.
    It's a shame because all too often very "high end" mechanical pencils, in need of what is conceptually a simple repair, become useless.
    The Auch-Pelikan 200 is a notable exception. That is why they have become a personal favorite of mine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

grainweevil (October 15th, 2021)