Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 144

Thread: Restoring Fortitude

  1. #21
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    603
    Thanked 2,078 Times in 998 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

    Are you done with the navel gazing? Is there some other pedantic point you would like to argue?
    Still being the dick, I see.

    You base your argument on a dichotomy and then call it "pedantic" and "navel gazing" to point out the limitations of argument via dichotomy? Nice work, there.

    How about you just get smarter? You posted a stupid, jingoistic column full of false assumptions, overgeneralizations, and false dichotomies. You asked for comments and got answers. We could go over every line and show you the flaws, but it ain't worth the time cuz no one really cares enough, and you slander those who actually give you a sincere reply (that you don't like).

    Nothin' new this week.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Curious response. Let me check my troll trap and see who was ensnared... EOC, Chuck, Chip and you. Says a lot.

    But even more curious is one who explicitly stated they were not interested in a conversation with me can't help themselves but to rush to the defense of a fellow troll, leading off with "still being the dick..." Glass houses and all that.

    Get smarter? I'm not the one who is unable to derive principles from Rep Crenshaw's piece and discuss the merits or lack thereof. That would be the same people in the aforementioned trap.

    So indeed, nothing is new this week. Thanks for playing, and maybe you should see someone about your anger. It's getting worse. Should some miracle happen and Trump be re-elected in '24, I don't think you will be able to cope with it. "Brandon" doesn't appear to be up for a second term.

    First statement really does say a lot. It says that you, dneal, are somewhat delusional. In general I may chime in a response to a piece of information or a subject I find interesting, or if I am invited to do so. Fairly sure that's what most people tend to do. And yet you label me as a troll for posting a single link in a different thread - a link that merely lead to some opinion pieces that I found interesting. Note that I didn't further attend that thread and neither did I defend the op pieces in the link. They were merely offered as of interest to the subject. And yet you label me as a troll. Pretty absurdly low bar you set there, fellow.

    Your second statement above does of course run slap into the face of whataboutism. Well done.

    Third statement, oh dear, back to you assuming you're right and everyone else is stupid (bit of a stuck groove for you it seems). Crenshaw's piece is lightweight in its rhetoric and easily picked apart. There is no merit in claiming some secret message therein that only you can mine. Kind of makes you look a bit desperate.


    Note: over the last couple of years there are some of us who have enjoyed exploring these potentially contentious subjects in this part of FPGeeks. You, dneal, obviously have information to share, but you have decided (for god knows what reason, if any) to position yourself as an antagonist only. It is therefore hardly surprising that you get the responses you get, and yet ironically you seem surprised that you are still getting that kind of response. Further, it amazes me that you seem unaware of the fact that you are a participant in those conversations and thus the responses you get are in part a product of your engagement. Some sort of mental blinkers perhaps.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    603
    Thanked 2,078 Times in 998 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Addendum

    @dneal
    @kazoolaw


    Discussions and conversations in this neck of the forum can often be interesting, educational and enjoyable. However, you should know by now that the pushback you get from other members in these threads is because you go out of your way to make the threads unpleasant to engage in. We are not interested in the kind of acrimonious exchanges that you seem to thrive on, though sometimes get drawn into it against our better natures. And quite frankly we would enjoy have our conversations perfectly well in your absence. In fact your absence itself would be welcome. As something of a positivist I want to believe, and think I have seen, that you have some interesting insights to bring to the table. However, if you come to the table with information in one hand and a big ego-stick in the other then you are invited, with complete sincerity and a certain degree of earnestness, to bugger off.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 15th, 2021 at 04:35 PM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

    TSherbs (October 15th, 2021)

  4. #23
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,857
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 823 Times in 440 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    @ EOC.

    Buddy, you've already outed yourself too. You said you wanted discussion. I offered you two threads. You picked the volatile one and ignored the reasonable one. You're back now with more of the same behavior. Why some of you seem hell-bent on derailing every topic is admittedly beyond me.

    p.s.: You're probably the last person here to be asserting that someone else is delusional. Do you really want to go there?
    Be your own tenth man.

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,697
    Thanks
    331
    Thanked 546 Times in 372 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    @dneal your batting out of you league. If you disagree with EOC, then say what and why. Just stop the stupid ad hominem approach. Itís makes you look smaller than you are already.
    Just free advice that I hope you donít takeÖ.lol!!

  6. #25
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    603
    Thanked 2,078 Times in 998 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    dneal - I picked the one that interested me. You cannot seem to get your head around the fact that your assumed reason for my choices are always incorrect. And agaiin, it's you that plunges these threads into unpleasantness.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

    TSherbs (October 15th, 2021)

  8. #26
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,857
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 823 Times in 440 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    And the internet hyenas gather in their pack, and destroy another thread. Well done.
    Be your own tenth man.

  9. #27
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,857
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 823 Times in 440 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    @dneal your batting out of you league. If you disagree with EOC, then say what and why. Just stop the stupid ad hominem approach. Itís makes you look smaller than you are already.
    Just free advice that I hope you donít takeÖ.lol!!
    Chuck - read your first sentence, and the one that follows the bolded portion.

    A little reflection might be of benefit to you.
    Be your own tenth man.

  10. #28
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 273 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    It was typical right-wing nonsense.

    Propaganda to make aging overweight couch potatoes in crap jobs think of themselves as brave warrior patriots.

    For which you seem to be a sucker.

  11. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    And the internet hyenas gather in their pack, and destroy another thread. Well done.
    Yeah, you're soooo victimized here. For a confessed troll, you're quite a bit of a baby.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  12. #30
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 273 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I'm all for fortitude, and it's the one thing I agree upon from that op piece. Much of the rest is the usual nationalistic chest-thumpery and, as Chip put, self-ennobling crap.
    Living in New Zealand, I found myself admiring the political culture for the emphasis on fairness: a fair go for the common folk. Got this book a few years back, that looks at the differences to the US in detail.


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

    TSherbs (October 15th, 2021)

  14. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    506
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 210 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    EoC-
    I'll get back to you on post #22.
    In the meanwhile, please run #24, 28 & 29 through the same ego-stick analysis. At first blush it doesn't appear that those posters are part of the "we" that aren't interested in acrimonious exchanges.

  15. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    . Do you really want to go there?
    Sure, fuck face. Let's go there. You constantly falsely attribute motives to persons who do not post in your threads, as if to do so (not post) is some sort of hypocrisy or cowardly avoidance. What a dickish and errant assumption, which, if you actually believe it, is a delusion (false reality where your ego is central). To be clear, I have an interest in some of your threads, but I find your posts so combative that I simply stay away because you behave like such a prick who wants to lure people into arguments and then beat them for your ego.

    It's not the topic; it's not the power of your argument (I find your arguments weak and often not worth the trouble). It's you.





    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    Empty_of_Clouds (October 15th, 2021)

  17. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I'm all for fortitude, and it's the one thing I agree upon from that op piece. Much of the rest is the usual nationalistic chest-thumpery and, as Chip put, self-ennobling crap.
    Living in New Zealand, I found myself admiring the political culture for the emphasis on fairness: a fair go for the common folk. Got this book a few years back, that looks at the differences to the US in detail.

    What's the thesis?

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  18. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Addendum

    @dneal
    @kazoolaw


    Discussions and conversations in this neck of the forum can often be interesting, educational and enjoyable. However, you should know by now that the pushback you get from other members in these threads is because you go out of your way to make the threads unpleasant to engage in. We are not interested in the kind of acrimonious exchanges that you seem to thrive on, though sometimes get drawn into it against our better natures. And quite frankly we would enjoy have our conversations perfectly well in your absence. In fact your absence itself would be welcome. As something of a positivist I want to believe, and think I have seen, that you have some interesting insights to bring to the table. However, if you come to the table with information in one hand and a big ego-stick in the other then you are invited, with complete sincerity and a certain degree of earnestness, to bugger off.
    +

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  19. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    For example, I am right now reading the book "Unsettled," about the real data about climate science, and how the research has been misrepresented in the media and by some scientists. It is fascinating, full of many graphs of the data from the largest government reports around the world. And god bless it, it is NOT political in its thesis. I enjoy discussing it, but not for a minute with anyone who is going to turn it into some tool for taking a swipe at one party or the other.

    And that won't happen on these threads, so I discuss it elsewhere. I have no interest in wrecking that good book with some sort of battle over it here.

    That's not avoidance, that's not hypocrisy, that's just me choosing where and how my intellect gets stimulated in actual conversation.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  20. #36
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,857
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 823 Times in 440 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    And the internet hyenas gather in their pack, and destroy another thread. Well done.
    Yeah, you're soooo victimized here. For a confessed troll, you're quite a bit of a baby.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Not victimized. You and your cohorts aren't able to do that. I do find the peek into the shared echo-chamber interesting (and a little entertaining).

    Frankly, you guys are so easily triggered it's not even any fun to pull your strings.
    Be your own tenth man.

  21. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    And the internet hyenas gather in their pack, and destroy another thread. Well done.
    Yeah, you're soooo victimized here. For a confessed troll, you're quite a bit of a baby.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Not victimized. You and your cohorts aren't able to do that. I do find the peek into the shared echo-chamber interesting (and a little entertaining).

    Frankly, you guys are so easily triggered it's not even any fun to pull your strings.
    So, why would you ever whine about having your threads wrecked, oh great master manipulator?

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  22. #38
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    603
    Thanked 2,078 Times in 998 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    @dneal


  23. #39
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,857
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 823 Times in 440 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    @dneal

    You take selfies now? Interesting. Next time get the full torso so we can see the hand-wringing.
    Be your own tenth man.

  24. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,124
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Restoring Fortitude

    Here, I'll demonstrate how shitty this column is that you started this thread with by looking at just one line.

    You claim that he is "reasonable" and not prone to take one side or the other (bias).

    And yet.

    Here is his third sentence: "A libertine society where anything goes and consequences are ignored is less American-style freedom and more a scene from an antifa-led autonomous zone."

    Do I really have to point out the various fallacies and empty (of reason) rhetorical devices of this sentence to the adults here?

    And that is as soon as the third sentence.

    Christ sake, what bullshit empty rhetoric and biased posturing.

    If, dneal, you are here for anything more than trolling, you have to find something better than this nonsense. Crenshaw may be a fine person. But this column is just hollow posturing and not worth anyone's time here who can read carefully and objectively.

    You can either get pissed off at the criticism and cast aspersions at the critics, or you can try to read better and post something better. Or neither. Whatever. You posted, you asked for "thoughts." You got them. To snipe, then, at the writers of those "thoughts" brings the "whining" charge.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •