Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Mottishaw at nibs.com now retired

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Re: John Mottishaw at nibs.com now retired

Thanks, junglejim.

Yeah, I'm thinking that if there are to be more authorized US dealers, they'd have to visit Nakaya in Japan and get some specific training (and up close assessment, for the trust).

Warm greetings.

Thanks

Just wanted to add something to this thread. I called nibs.com last week. They said John still comes to the office and you can still request a grind from him.

I have to say that I was a little grumpy these past few years that you still had to pay Mottishaw grind prices for work done by apprentices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to maddington For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (January 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maddington View Post

I have to say that I was a little grumpy these past few years that you still had to pay Mottishaw grind prices for work done by apprentices.

That's not really that uncommon especially if under the teachers supervision (especially if there were a follow-up complaint).

If you get the grind you expected, then isn't really any different?

Thanks

They said John still comes to the office and you can still request a grind from him.
    I would not commit to paying a penny unless and until I got a personal communication from John that he would be doing the work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 17th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

That's not really that uncommon especially if under the teachers supervision (especially if there were a follow-up complaint).

I would agree if the work was supervised closely, but I had to send a needlepoint grind back because the quality just wasn’t there. John did the regrind himself and there was a world of difference.

Also, if you went by their website, you’d think John still does everything.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maddington For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 17th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

I would agree if the work was supervised closely, but I had to send a needlepoint grind back because the quality just wasn’t there. John did the regrind himself and there was a world of difference.

Also, if you went by their website, you’d think John still does everything.

kind of a dilemma right, everybody wants to get a masterpiece, but apprentices only learn with practice.
    On the other side who should take over when old masters retire if apprentices didn’t had the chance to learn enough by practicing a lot and become new masters?

But this is how learning works with all kind of craftsman business or even in art (thinking about the old masters letting apprentices paint in their paintings)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

amk (January 18th, 2022), jar (January 19th, 2022), welch (January 17th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

kind of a dilemma right, everybody wants to get a masterpiece, but apprentices only learn with practice.
    On the other side who should take over when old masters retire if apprentices didn’t had the chance to learn enough by practicing a lot and become new masters?

But this is how learning works with all kind of craftsman business or even in art (thinking about the old masters letting apprentices paint in their paintings)
    Exactly. Sure there was some initial excitement thinking Mottishaw did the cursive italic grind on the Century 3776 I purchased from them, and some dismay to learn that the 'staff' usually does the basic grinds. But I was still satisfied with the grind.

Thanks

[QUOTE=maddington;351734][QUOTE=KBeezie;351696]
    ...Also, if you went by their website, you’d think John still does everything.
    Shocking!
    Last edited by 724Seney; January 17th, 2022 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

At least within the US there are other good nib grinders who can be relied upon to do a good job. Two that immediately spring to my mind are Kirk Speer and Gena Salorino but you have more options than we have here in the UK.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 17th, 2022 at 10:22 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 17th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark320i View Post
    I am glad for John but unfortunately the pen family has no concept of after sale support and they clearly don't care! They are plain terrible. I try my best not to buy from them and have sold almost all of my ASC collection. Shame I was looking at the DF2 a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Just amazing! Some folks will take any opportunity to trash ASC / The Pen Family.

The subject was the retirement (well-deserved) of John Mottishaw. Not your opinion of ASC / The Pen Family. You will need to take up this subject with the likes of SBRE Brown and other well-known pen aficionados. I have to wonder just how many bad experiences you have had with ASC / TPF.

But that is another post... (sigh).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

jar (January 19th, 2022), welch (January 19th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mark320i View Post
    I am glad for John but unfortunately the pen family has no concept of after sale support and they clearly don't care! They are plain terrible. I try my best not to buy from them and have sold almost all of my ASC collection. Shame I was looking at the DF2 a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Just amazing! Some folks will take any opportunity to trash ASC / The Pen Family.

The subject was the retirement (well-deserved) of John Mottishaw. Not your opinion of ASC / The Pen Family. You will need to take up this subject with the likes of SBRE Brown and other well-known pen aficionados. I have to wonder just how many bad experiences you have had with ASC / TPF.

But that is another post... (sigh).
    You are right. And, you are wrong.

It is true that the OP began the thread to let people know about the announcement from The Pen Family about John's retirement. And, John deserves all the accolades and appreciation he has received both here and elsewhere.

But it is incorrect to say "Some folks will take any opportunity to trash ASC / The Pen Family." Actually, A LOT of people will take that opportunity. And each one of them has their reason(s) why........

Given that the announcement offered by the OP came from The Pen Family and the public service announcement was both about John's retirement and that nibs.com belonged to The Pen Family, I think @ mark320i's post was not at all inappropriate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Isn't it a trade's description thing to advertise work by one person only to have it done by someone else?
    Do they say that HE is the one working on it, or that "nibs.com" is working on it as a company?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    How should I know? I was making a general statement about transparency.
    Not sure why it matters in the realm of a service (as it's not like it's artwork resold etc). Many places that offer services especially if using their founder as a figurehead of sort, still have their work done by employees, and sometimes outsourced. So they might not responsible for the grind itself, but they still take responsible for any outcome of it (positive or negative). Much the same way as having a nib "binderdized" but wasn't done by Richard Binder (course to my knowledge, only one person has been approved to perform those services to his qualification to call it that).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

welch (January 19th, 2022)

Thanks

Another pertinent fact that hasn't exactly been advertised is that even the "apprentices" have changed (several times now). Gena left some time ago and is now doing great work on her own, but she was not the last nibmeister change there.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

maddington (January 18th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Just because the namesake takes responsibility, does ensure the same quality nor that the nib won't require extra trips to and fro. If the buyer hasn't actual handled with by the namesake, they will assume the (possibly) mediocre but acceptable work performed is the best. If it's noticeably bad then they have to spend the time and return shipping to get it worked on again (which isn't always doable - too much tipping demoed by the apprentice). I think that the work should cost less if performed by underlings and be discussed upfront.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

I agree wholeheartedly. If I’m going to pay a premium for nibwork (more than Masuyama or Bacas, and they ain’t bad), then I expect it to be the real deal. However, if there was a cheaper version done under the supervision of the master, that would be something I would gladly do, but at a different price and with full knowledge of what’s going on. Here in the pen community, honesty and openness are kind of a thing.

Again, let’s take nothing away from John’s work. What a pioneer! And my cursive italics from him are magic. My cursive italics from his apprentices are good, too; they’re just not the same.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to maddington For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 18th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Reading all the threads here recently, like people which are not happy with their nib customisation (here and the one regrading FPNibs), the thread about red pens, inspired me to create something.

I imagined somebody who isn´t really happy with the nib customisation done for his pen and how he might look like (and of course I pictured a red pen )

Looney Toons - Daffy Duck by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Faber Castell Ecco Pigment 0.1, Schmincke Horadam, Faber Castell Polychromos)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

maddington (January 19th, 2022)