Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inserting nib and feed into section

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Default Re: Inserting nib and feed into section

What's remarkable to me are trays full of Marine Green and black and pearl OS Balances!

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

And note that Sheaffer posted their Balances!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    And note that Sheaffer posted their Balances!
    Those are the rejects, Fred!

(ducks and hide)
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I'll close out my contribution to the thread, if somewhat diverted, with a blow-up of the rules posted for the Assembly area of the Sheaffer factory, as seen in the previous photo. Some fascinating tidbits of information on the daily life of these workers!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (October 21st, 2021), catbert (October 21st, 2021), Chrissy (October 22nd, 2021), eachan (October 21st, 2021), Fermata (October 21st, 2021), penwash (October 21st, 2021), Stands on Feet (October 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I like that last one. I wonder if there were lots of Snorkels tossed out the windows.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I like that last one. I wonder if there were lots of Snorkels tossed out the windows.
    I just figured some wise guy would toss the rules out.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'll close out my contribution to the thread, if somewhat diverted, with a blow-up of the rules posted for the Assembly area of the Sheaffer factory, as seen in the previous photo. Some fascinating tidbits of information on the daily life of these workers!
    That's really fascinating Jon and it's good to know that it is still around for future reference.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

The pen is on it's way back to Marco fully re-assembled.
    The section is celluloid and I had it in my ultrasonic up to 70 Degrees C for quite a while along with the feed, to ensure the heat was transferred right through the material. Then with the nib and feed positioned and firmly held in a ring clamp, they were re-introduced and installed in the still warm section. Parker vacumatic pens also have celluloid sections, were dry heat is far more dangerous to use at the level at times required, for re-assembly of nib/feed. I've never had any problems with material discolouration of the sections using this method.
    et

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eckiethump For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 25th, 2021), eachan (October 25th, 2021), Jon Szanto (October 25th, 2021), Yazeh (October 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eckiethump View Post
    The section is celluloid and I had it in my ultrasonic up to 70 Degrees C for quite a while along with the feed, to ensure the heat was transferred right through the material. Then with the nib and feed positioned and firmly held in a ring clamp, they were re-introduced and installed in the still warm section. Parker vacumatic pens also have celluloid sections, were dry heat is far more dangerous to use at the level at times required, for re-assembly of nib/feed. I've never had any problems with material discolouration of the sections using this method.
    et
    Good result.

Always worth using a professional when you have an expensive pen and a difficult job is beyond your own limits and experience/knowledge.

As someone once said, many a good pen has been ruined by an enthusiastic amateur.
    Last edited by Fermata; October 24th, 2021 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks

I'm a bit more fortunate (younger)than Ron Zorn, when I started out Frank Dubiels "Da Book" was available, and extremely well read. Processes in repair are not an inexpensive expertise to learn, you'll break pens :-(
    I was fortunate in the help I received from long term pen repair people in the UK, they sent me groups of pens to see what I could do with them. It was a few years before I took on any paid pen repair work. My life situation being at the time, I was spending very many hours on these pens sent to me, as well as those I purchased myself, in the knowledge that they would require work.
    et

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eckiethump For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 25th, 2021), Jon Szanto (October 25th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eckiethump View Post
    et
    Good to know, and a reminder how difficult it is to advise at a distance when you don't know the materials involved. It's fascinating to hear about the method given that all you ever tend to read on the fora is "Whatever you do, don't soak it in hot water".
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

All thank you for your support in my quest. I am more than very grateful to eckiethump for his work and I thank him from the bottom of my heart. It has been a good move to send him the pen.
    The pen is now inked and working very well. His turnaround time has been great. It is a joy to use it. The nib has no hickups when writing and I can say that it is also has a bit of flex. The nib also has a bit of feedback which can be accentuated depending on the orientation of the tynes on the paper. I'm very happy about this Tibaldi, vintage of course. Ciao
    Marco

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarcoA64 For This Useful Post:

eachan (October 26th, 2021), Fermata (October 26th, 2021), Jon Szanto (October 26th, 2021)