Thread: NaNoWriMo 2021

Thanks

Default NaNoWriMo 2021

November will soon be upon us, and with it comes NaNowriMo.

I'm participating this year, and like every year I'll be doing it in pen.

Anyone else planning on participating?

I'm Sandy_Fyfe there, if anyone want to buddy up there.

Or we could come here and boast or moan about how we are (not) doing.

I'm writing a thriller set on the Costa Del Sol. A reattempt at a previous failure, which I think I've since lost (oops).

Thanks

Default Re: NaNoWriMo 2021

I'm participating. This is the first year I'll be writing with fountain pens for it. My goal is a tiny fraction of 50,000 words, because there's no way I can pull that off at this point in my life. I don't friend people on the NaNoWriMo website because, when I first started participating in the CampNaNoWriMos, I realized that if I joined cabins or chatted with people while on the website, I got a lot less work done. So between that, and how much I despise the layout of the site redesign (and what they did to the forums) I only use the NaNo website exclusively for personal tracking. But I'd be happy to chat about our experiences with you here, if you want. I always like talking with other writers. I'm working predominantly on nonfiction this year -- memoir and a series of essays.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

I'm trying, though I don't have a word count and I'm not sure of the rules. A lot of my notes and Progress Report, however, are being done in fountain pen and ink.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I did not count up words every night as I went along and now have lots of them to count wish me luck, everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    I did not count up words every night as I went along and now have lots of them to count wish me luck, everyone.
    Good luck, scrivelry!

Wait, is this NaNoWriMo a mere word count-test, or a coherent draft?

Thanks

Thank you!

It has to be a draft. I have never heard anyone say it has to be coherent.
    The whole point of NaNo is supposed to be to do the thing you've been wanting to do, no matter how badly you do it. You can't edit what you never wrote. So you write 50,000 words. Some years I am not at the end of the novel at that point. One year I had the protagonist reading the posts I'd made in a knitting forum, on his lunch hour, to get my count to 50,000, but it counts - all written in November.

So in my case it is going to be 50,000 words of novel(s) draft. But we have lots of NaNo rebels.

This is my seventeenth year doing this, and I have always finished. I've never even tried to edit anything to publishability for numerous reasons - not the same reasons all the time. I could write a thesis on what NaNo has and has not done for me.

Now, off to count...

Thanks

Well, I failed. No finished draft but close.

Still gonna continue writing this anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

No. You did not fail.

There is no failure in NaNo.

Since the whole point is to get you to write and stretch and do something maybe you would not have done otherwise, if you wrote one word more than you would have, you have succeeded.

NaNo is the only thing I have ever done where the terminology is not "Win or lose" but "Win or not finish."

My novel(s) are far from done, but I am soooo happy with my work this year because I wrote in two genres, one of which I have never tried before, and because for the first time, after 17 years of doing this every year, I am at a point where I can see possibly getting one or both of these things to a point where I could submit them.

If we allow "failing" in NaNo, then we are going to have to allow crying in baseball, and where's that gonna take us?

ETA: I did finish. It took me hours to count all my words and add them up, and I was only short between two and three thousand words, so I wrote a bunch more and got my 50,000.
    I will admit, though, that in order not to be counting feverishly at 11:49 on the 30th I did the last few thousand on the computer, which could count them for me. I have not figured out yet if I write differently on a keyboard than I do by hand.
    Last edited by scrivelry; December 6th, 2021 at 07:34 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

worthyadvisor (December 6th, 2021)

Thanks

No. You did not fail.

Since the whole point is to get you to write and stretch and do something maybe you would not have done otherwise, if you wrote one word more than you would have, you have succeeded.

NaNo is the only thing I have ever done where the terminology is not "Win or lose" but "Win or not finish."

My novel(s) are far from done, but I am soooo happy with my work this year because I wrote in two genres, one of which I have never tried before, and because for the first time, after 17 years of doing this every year, I am at a point where I can see possibly getting one or both of these things to a point where I could submit them.

If we allow "failing" in NaNo, then we are going to have to allow crying in baseball, and where's that gonna take us?
    Nowhere good, I imagine. 😜

Thanks. And congratulations! I have no idea how many words I've got, but all that's needed now for a complete, actual draft, is three 'bridge' chapters. Already have the end and next-to-end chapters written.

Thanks

No. You did not fail.

Nowhere good, I imagine. 😜

Thanks. And congratulations! I have no idea how many words I've got, but all that's needed now for a complete, actual draft, is three 'bridge' chapters. Already have the end and next-to-end chapters written.
    I am a pantser - working on the theory that sometimes you write to find out what you have to say, I lurched - and it was lurching, not launching - into NaNo this year with one book which was a murder mystery in which the victim did not die and one of which is an odd book about aliens that the protagonist of the first book was reading. I had vague hopes of making these books bounce back and forth between each other in some profound way. (Falls on floor laughing at self)

What I now have is a lot of stuff that is what most people would only consider prep work. But who cares? If this is how it works for me this time, this is how it works for me this time. Maybe next time I will start off with an outline and character sheets and all that...

ETA: Duh, and congrats to you too!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I can't keep up with these internet acronyms. What has Estimated Time of Arrival morphed into?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (December 6th, 2021), penwash (December 6th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I can't keep up with these internet acronyms. What has Estimated Time of Arrival morphed into?
    Commonly put as an afterthought: Edit To Add.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (December 6th, 2021)

Thanks

I am one of those pantsers myself (which seriously needs a better name) but started typing in my Bridge chapters today. From all the rough, hand-scribbled in fountain pen notes.

Not sure how to describe the book. Semi-supernatural, semi-suspense character study?

January 20, 2022: Draft finished. Revisions begun. This has taken on a life of its own.
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; January 20th, 2022 at 02:53 PM.