Thread: Kaco Edge

Thanks

Default Kaco Edge

Hey everyone!
    I wanted to post a review of one of my absolute favorite pens. As I say in my full post on my blog, I own three of these pens! (Though I only use two). For some of y'all, I bet duplicates are not really all that unusual, but I really shy away from having more of the same pen.

These pens do somewhat resemble the Lamy 2000; they are even in the special, limited-edition blue and brown. However, the clip is so distinctive (and frankly hideous) that I don't think they'd fool anyone. They're not just knock-off clones. The pen body and cap are made of Makrolon, while the grip is made of brushed aluminum. Unlike the Lamy 2000, the grip color is not different from the body color; only the difference in material contributes to a slightly different hue.

I've never really been tempted to get a Lamy 2000 because I don't want a hooded nib. I know that the hooded nib helps with it not drying out, but really -- what's the point of a fountain pen if you don't get to see and show off the nib? I also am a far bigger fan of converters than internal filling systems. They're just more convenient. Especially since I change colors constantly.

In that sense, the Kaco Edge design actually eschews some of the most defining characteristics of the Lamy 2000. The pens come with a stock Schmidt nib. I bought replacement nibs in advance (more on that later), but the nibs are really such good writers that it's unnecessary. In some senses, they don't have a lot of personality. No softness, no line variation. But also no sweet spots. No tuning needed at all. These nibs deliver. Except for some hard starting... The EF nib in particular is really good, and it's become my planner pen.

These pens are so light and comfortable, and I adore the grip. For pics and more reflections on the nib: https://www.peninvestigations.com/home/kaco-edge

Thanks

Default Re: Kaco Edge

The Ti nib you bought is made by Bock, and while the feed diameter may be the same, the shape of the feed, as well as the curvature of the nib are not the same. See if you can fit the Bock feed into the Kaco.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrsharkbait View Post
    The Ti nib you bought is made by Bock, and while the feed diameter may be the same, the shape of the feed, as well as the curvature of the nib are not the same. See if you can fit the Bock feed into the Kaco.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I tried this, but the Bock feed won't fit. You can't get it in. I bought a Karas Kustoms Fountain K to use with the Ti nib. Honestly, the stock Kaco Edge nibs are great - no adjustments needed whatsoever. I just wanted to try a Ti nib. If I hadn't been dead set on that from the beginning, I wouldn't have had any frustrations with these pens.
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Inspired by the look of this pen, I bought the Kaco Edge in brown. And it does have a great look and feel. I would love it, except that, while it draws and releases water, it is evidently not for us overwriter southpaws. It lays down a decent line horizontally, but is weak and hopeless vertically. I hope it self-corrects soon, as it fits my hand and the color is beautifully understated.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I got one of these, but really didn't like the clip at all. So I now have an Edgeless...edge-cap.jpg

and much prefer it!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Thanks for the review. I heard that these pens crack after a while, has it been your experience?

@mizgeroge, Nice. I guess you just removed the clip?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I got one of these, but really didn't like the clip at all. So I now have an Edgeless...edge-cap.jpg

and much prefer it!
    How did you manage to remove the clip? I'd love to get those atrocities off mine
    Another Pen Geek!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks for the review. I heard that these pens crack after a while, has it been your experience?

@mizgeroge, Nice. I guess you just removed the clip?
    Neither of mine have cracked yet. I'll let you know if they do!
    Another Pen Geek!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PenInvestigations For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (November 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PenInvestigations View Post

How did you manage to remove the clip? I'd love to get those atrocities off mine
    I'm a bench jeweller, so have all the right kit to hand. I sawed off the bulk of it, then drilled out what remained (once broken it came out pretty easily). Then I made up some black rubberised epoxy to fill the gap and a scratching brush to match up the texture. Sounds long winded, but actually took only a couple of minutes plus drying time. The brass that the clip itself was made of was pretty soft, so didn't take a lot of effort to saw through, though I would have resorted to a cutting disc if I'd needed to!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 24th, 2021), eachan (November 23rd, 2021), PenInvestigations (November 22nd, 2021), Yazeh (November 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

That's awesome. I don't have that gear, so I guess I'll have to learn to live with the clip for now.
    Another Pen Geek!

Thanks

The Lamy 2000 pen has its own unique style with a combination of Makrolon and brushed aluminum materials.
    sonic exe

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Spammer Torut1970 above reported. Please be sure to not click on the "Show Me" link or Reply With Quote to these posts. Checked on a cancelled Reply With Quote to find out they are spam links and nothing to do with pens.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

...have two of these, the cap cracked on the first.
    A little bit of silicone grease and these can be eye-droppered.
    good little nibs though