Thread: chipped black finish on black nib

Thanks

Default chipped black finish on black nib

Hi, I just received an ensso XS minimalist pocket pen (what a mouthful!) and I'm so excited about it... except the nib was picking up paper fibers, etc, like crazy & then inconsistent ink flow, so I took a brass shim to it. The tines were so, so tight. I haven't yet fixed the flow issues, but now it seems like part of the black finish has come off! This is really going to bug me... Is there somehow a way to fix it? Where could I buy a replacement black nib from?
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

Thanks

Default Re: chipped black finish on black nib

Looks like it takes Bock nibs. Where are you located? Beaufort Inks in the UK and FPnibs.com in Spain both sell black Bock nibs. I'm sure some American vendors do as well, but I don't know them well.

Thanks

I'm in the US, but I'll look at shipping prices from the vendors you mentioned. Thanks
    Another Pen Geek!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

While flossing any nib is probably best as a last resort (in spite of all the popular misinfo about how great it is), it is especially not great to use on these handful of coated pens. It's basically paint and if you catch an edge you can start it lifting up. To my knowledge there is no known repair for it, replacement is likely the only way. Possibly write ensso.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    While flossing any nib is probably best as a last resort (in spite of all the popular misinfo about how great it is), it is especially not great to use on these handful of coated pens. It's basically paint and if you catch an edge you can start it lifting up. To my knowledge there is no known repair for it, replacement is likely the only way. Possibly write ensso.
    Yeah, I've read so many things about how flossing the nib can solve so much... and it has helped before on some nibs, but this is my first coated nib. Thanks, I will write to ensso or see about buying a replacement
    Another Pen Geek!