Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MB Namesakes you'd like to meet

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: MB Namesakes you'd like to meet

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Is there a Jack Kerouac WE yet?

It'd have to be a pencil, yeah? (I know there isn't a Kerouac.)

For writers, I'd pick Oscar Wilde over Hemingway. Seems there'd be more conviviality with Wilde.
    I'm patiently waiting for a G.K. Chesterton release as a curmudgeonly compliment to the Twain pen.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (November 4th, 2021)

Thanks

"""Drinks with Hemingway should be interesting.... """" Only if you are bigger than him, he use get drunk and beat up the small.
    He had a problem, in not joining the army when America joined the World War. after seeing the wounded delivered to his ambulance a mile behind the line........knowing he was a coward, he admired bull fighters an others who had what he didn't.

He and Thurber didn't come back to the States until booze was again legal.

Mark Twain at least saw and fought in a battle, before declining to re-up after his three months were up, and going west.
    A very intelligent man, being a Mississippi River Pilot, required a great memory and instant reflexes.
    The third book with Tom and Huck didn't get written finished in the girl fell into the hands of the Indians.........so no happy end was possible.
    I liked a Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court; a great and perhaps the first fall back in time SF book.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

BoBo, do you have a namesake you would like to meet? That is the point of this thread, not criticizing other's choices.

p.s.: Twain's "battle" was satirical. The best guess is that he served in a Confederate* militia for two weeks, quit and headed west.

--edit--

* Missouri is an anomaly in U.S. Civil War history. Although admitted to the Union with the "Missouri Compromise" (Missouri and Maine being admitted at the same time, Missouri a slave state and Maine a free state), Missouri never joined the confederacy. Missouri militias did sympathize with the Confederacy, but were more concerned with Lincoln's sending of Federal troops and General Nathaniel Lyon to St. Louis (out of concern that Missouri would join). That action prompted the creation of several militias, focused on driving Federal troops out of the State. Several battles resulted, two of the most famous being Wilson's Creek and Lexington (also called "the battle of the hemp bales").

Twain's service was likely with one of these Missouri militias, and saw no action.
    Last edited by dneal; November 5th, 2021 at 08:51 AM.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 5th, 2021), Lloyd (November 4th, 2021), mizgeorge (November 5th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Kafka for me.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 5th, 2021), manoeuver (November 5th, 2021)

Thanks

I was reading Hemingway when he was still alive. The truth about him was a long time in coming. Each thing did make an impression on me until I no longer cared for him as a person. There was nothing against the guy wanting to talk to Hemingway; just not in a bar.

Just like the 'truth' about Mark Twain's two week service, in back in the day before computers we were taught he did three months and seen a battle.
    (Of course I have to check that out my self...........in I've seen ever so much BS passed off as truth in the internet that is not so. Some of it is ancient lies of self serving passed off as the truth; like why Santa Fe was passed up by the RR, other times one runs into modern BS that is pasted all over the internet in someone didn't check the research to start with.).....Yep, was taught the wrong info....he himself said he was there for a whole two weeks.
    Back in the day though we were at the mercy of printers.....and teachers who believed the printed word.

One it seems has to check what is truth, what is still truth or what will be truth regularly or one is out of date as I was with Mark Twain.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; November 11th, 2021 at 10:19 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Would love to have dinner and a walk with Jules Verne. The JV pen is a tasteful tribute to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

And a chat with Mark Twain would be fascinating. Hal Holbrook's Mark Twain Tonight is as close as it gets.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Is there a Jack Kerouac WE yet? It'd have to be a pencil, yeah? (I know there isn't a Kerouac.)

For writers, I'd pick Oscar Wilde over Hemingway. Seems there'd be more conviviality with Wilde.
    Same here. Despite an adventurous and often risky life outdoors, I've never hit it off with maler-than-thou sportsman types, like Papa. Nor heavy drinkers of spirits. (Except for Jim Harrison.)

Wilde combines encyclopedic knowledge with a broad and fluid intelligence, an acute awareness of language, and a sharp wit. I'd hope I could keep my mouth shut (aside from sips of a good wine) and just feed him bits and pieces that would spark his imagination.

Then, I'd spend a few fevered hours in my room, making notes of things he said.

About Kerouac (not a pen or pencil guy), the story is that he got a roll of newsprint, hung it up, inserted the end in his typewriter, and blasted off.
    Last edited by Chip; November 15th, 2021 at 05:07 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 15th, 2021)

Thanks

My number two would be Camus.

I don;t knoiw if there is a pen named for him, nor do I care, really.

Number three: Poe

Number 4: Shakespeare

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And then there is Rumi Rumi Rumi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo Olson View Post
    """Drinks with Hemingway should be interesting.... """" Only if you are bigger than him, he use get drunk and beat up the small.
    Heh...oh yes.
    I would definitely poke the bear, then shoot it.
    >=D
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post: