Thread: NY Times roundup review of notebooks

Thanks

Default NY Times roundup review of notebooks

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 16th, 2022), carlos.q (November 1st, 2021), Carpio (August 4th, 2023), catbert (November 24th, 2021), Fermata (October 31st, 2021), LarryinIowa (November 9th, 2021), Michaelcj (November 1st, 2021), penwash (November 21st, 2021), rickap (June 6th, 2023), Scrawler (January 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Default Re: NY Times roundup review of notebooks

Thanks for posting this.
    This could be helpful for a "newbie" person to have a guideline.
    But for me, personally, depending the pen/ink my hands go for almost any paper.
    I personally favour the combo Japanese papers/ bulletproof inks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (June 25th, 2022)

Thanks

Great link, thanks for posting.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (January 15th, 2022), welch (November 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 697 Posts

Thank you for posting. I am always interested in reading these kinds of reviews. Because I am a bit of a paper snob, I have done a bit of the same type of review and have found my favorites. The Apica CD Notebook is one that I use often for client work, but truthfully, you can't go wrong with a Rhodia Pad. I buy them by the dozen now. For journaling, I am still very much in love with my Tomoe River notebooks. I did stock up so have enough for the next year. After that, I am hoping that the new Sanzen's TR successor or will be all that we are hoping for and will be readily available or some other fantastic fountain pen friendly paper will come out.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

One notebook that isn't mentioned (in my admittedly cursory scroll through the article) is the Stalogy 365.

Just recently re-discovered that I have one -- and sadly for the life of me I can't remember how I got it, all I know was that I didn't buy it. Maybe part of a trade?

So I've been using it for testing my restorations and some sketches. And I just love it. The paper is thin, it's like TR but not like it at the same time, it feels more matte, but obviously coated because it can handle any nib sizes I threw at it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (September 30th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    One notebook that isn't mentioned (in my admittedly cursory scroll through the article) is the Stalogy 365.

Just recently re-discovered that I have one -- and sadly for the life of me I can't remember how I got it, all I know was that I didn't buy it. Maybe part of a trade?

So I've been using it for testing my restorations and some sketches. And I just love it. The paper is thin, it's like TR but not like it at the same time, it feels more matte, but obviously coated because it can handle any nib sizes I threw at it.
    I've been doing NaNoWriMo on a Stalogy 365. Great paper, lousy novel.

Thanks

I've been doing NaNoWriMo on a Stalogy 365. Great paper, lousy novel.
    Hey, it's NaNo. We are supposed to stink, and stink boldly, but keep writing because we can't edit what we haven't written.

At least this is what I tell myself when I think about the Chaos fountain pen, the talking lizard alien, and the dead You-Tube celebrity in my own current attempt

But I have not had to resort to Zombies yet...

Thanks

I have used the Levenger's Notabilia notebooks for almost twenty years, beginning when I used only ballpoints, pencils, and hard-plastic tipped pens. They were fine when I returned to fountain pens about 15 years ago. Levengers has switched their paper suppliers a few times since 2000, but they are good for fountain pens. Just the right size for me, which is the classic US composition book size.

Various coated-paper notebooks did not work. I came back to work one morning, during a time when I was trying out a variety Noodlers offered as lubricating piston fillers. The previous evening's page had still-wet blobs, so I thought, "too wet for its own good". And gave up coated paper.

Thanks

I'm a newbie.Thank you, that was helpful to me!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlymox For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 16th, 2022), welch (February 26th, 2022)

Thanks

While most moving companies will have some form of insurance to cover any damages that occur during the move, there may be additional fees for extra insurance coverage. Make sure to ask about this upfront so you're not surprised by any additional charges. Car Transport Rates Fulton County

Thanks

Just looked here, and discovered that something callling itself xewepi has spammed all over the Notebooks sub forum.

This, however, is not spam. I happened to spot a Staples Composition Book, graph ruled, 4 to the inch. Perfect size for me, 80 sheets (160 pages). "Made in Brazil". Inexpensive...maybe $5 USD, but I bought something else and didn't notice how much either cost (total was $7, so...)

Paper seems very smooth. When I finish my current notebook, I will try this and report.

(Current is a super-cheap Office Depot composition book, also 4 squares to the inch, respectable resistance to see-through. and does not "blot" FP ink. Paper is not comfortably smooth, but the notebook works).