Thread: Ebonite feed

Thanks

Default Ebonite feed

So I replaced the feed on my Pilot 912 with an FA nib with an ebonite feed. It worked so well I decided to do the same on my 823, but I went with the red ebonite feed. They perform great, but I just noticed that the red one is now basically black. Dues anytime else have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Ebonite feed

Like in so many other situations, I'm willing to bet it has a lot to do with what inks you use. I have two red feeds, neither of which *seem* to have been stained, but that may just be the luck of the draw in my ink choices.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

that's what I figured. Jon, you dont think a light sanding to the exposed edge the feed would cause any damage do you? Obviously with much care as to not break a fin.
    If anyone knows of a way to possibly remove the stain please let me know.

Thanks

I don't know that I would try sanding a feed, but maybe that might do it. I'd probably try running it in an ultrasonic cleaner, or soaking it in Koh-I-Noor "Rapido-Eze", maybe using a soft bristle brush. I've not done either on an ebonite feed, so I don't take any responsibility!

And you haven't solved how it got stained, and what would keep it from happening again.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

yea that's a good point. I haven't used any crazy inks with it so I'm really not sure what happened there. I have been using mainly light blue to blue-black quink. Maybe I should contact FNF?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    So I replaced the feed on my Pilot 912 with an FA nib with an ebonite feed. It worked so well I decided to do the same on my 823, but I went with the red ebonite feed. They perform great, but I just noticed that the red one is now basically black. Dues anytime else have this problem?

Waterman noted this same problem about a century ago.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

elaineb (November 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Where did you get the spare ebonite feeds from? I've been curious about trying one out.
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

Thanks

I can't see how it would matter to the writing, in I don't see my feed when writing, or don't notice it is more the truth.
    I'd not paid attention to the second or so, that I could see the rear of the (normal black) feed before placing the nib to paper and starting to write.

I guess if one paid extra for red, one could be a bit perturbed it turned up black. Perhaps red ink is the solution.

A pen flush should remove the black ink from the red feed.

Ebonite is a better feed in it is sawn and therefore rough; holding the inks.
    FPN's Penengineer who while at Lamy developed an acid treatment of Lamy's plastic feeds; which made them as microscopic rough as ebonite. Which could explain the smooth Lamy feeds not having combs/rills.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; November 8th, 2021 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PenInvestigations View Post
    Where did you get the spare ebonite feeds from? I've been curious about trying one out.
    For the 912? Various options here: https://flexiblenib.com/store/product-category/feed/

They're not cheap, but work brilliantly. The 3 channel is almost too wet, which is great because it means the FA nib will still work with drier inks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

PenInvestigations (November 10th, 2021)

Thanks

So I cleaned out the pen, took the feed out and tried to wash it as good as possible, but not much changed. I can see in some places where the feed wasn't in contact with ink, that the red is still there. I've emailed FNF's customer service, but no response. I'll probably just have to deal with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoBo Olson View Post
    I can't see how it would matter to the writing, in I don't see my feed when writing, or don't notice it is more the truth.
    I'd not paid attention to the second or so, that I could see the rear of the (normal black) feed before placing the nib to paper and starting to write.

I guess if one paid extra for red, one could be a bit perturbed it turned up black. Perhaps red ink is the solution.

A pen flush should remove the black ink from the red feed.

Ebonite is a better feed in it is sawn and therefore rough; holding the inks.
    FPN's Penengineer who while at Lamy developed an acid treatment of Lamy's plastic feeds; which made them as microscopic rough as ebonite. Which could explain the smooth Lamy feeds not having combs/rills.
    There’s a lot of parts of the pen that you don’t see when writing with it and even more that have absolutely nothing to do with the writing experience. Yet we still pay extra for pens that tickle our fancy and look good.

I wonder about that acid treatment though. It’s be a nice solution (no pun intended) for enhancing the flow on dry nibs rather than trying to widen the channel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I don't know that I would try sanding a feed, but maybe that might do it. I'd probably try running it in an ultrasonic cleaner, or soaking it in Koh-I-Noor "Rapido-Eze", maybe using a soft bristle brush. I've not done either on an ebonite feed, so I don't take any responsibility!

And you haven't solved how it got stained, and what would keep it from happening again.
    Just in case you wanted the update: a light sanding completely brought back the color. It actually even have it a cool two-tone look because I didn’t sand in between the fins.
    However, it’s already stained again. WTF! Do you guys wipe off the feed completely after a fill up? I usually just do a quick wipe to get all the ink off the section and any that puddled around the housing and nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    However, it’s already stained again. WTF! Do you guys wipe off the feed completely after a fill up? I usually just do a quick wipe to get all the ink off the section and any that puddled around the housing and nib.
    Ummm... it is not unusual for hard rubber to get stained by ink. You are just under the misunderstanding that, somehow, that cool red feed is going to remain a cool red feed. I wouldn't count on that, at all. I have exactly one red ebonite feed and it still looks pretty much the same, but I've only used Diamine Red Dragon in the pen. I have no illusions that if I used a dark blue/green/black ink I might not have a red feed anymore. It all depends on the ink. We just don't normally notice it on a black feed.

~ Benjamin Franklin