Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Let's see your cigar box pen cases

Alright, now that we are all coming out of the woodwork and start to get some traffic going, let's do something fun.

Since I've discovered that cigar box can be converted into pen box or case or display, it has been a secret mini-fascination of mine.

This is my latest cigar box pen case:

I love this box and coincidentally, the initial of the company is RP just like Redeem Pens

Show me yours and tell us something about it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 31st, 2017), da vinci (October 30th, 2017), jodylud (October 30th, 2017), Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2017), MY63 (October 31st, 2017), NibsForScript (May 6th, 2018), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2017), VertOlive (October 29th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Let's see your cigar box pen cases

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

da vinci (October 30th, 2017), jodylud (October 30th, 2017), MY63 (October 31st, 2017), penwash (October 31st, 2017), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2017), VertOlive (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Where to get the black liner?
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I purchased those from Michelle of Pendora, whom I don't believe is in business anymore. At one point she was clearing out her pen supplies and inventory - I'll see if I can find contact and check if anything is left.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 30th, 2017)

Thanks

I purchased those from Michelle of Pendora, whom I don't believe is in business anymore. At one point she was clearing out her pen supplies and inventory - I'll see if I can find contact and check if anything is left.
    Jon, I'd be interested in black or other colors also if you managed to contact them. My supply of the beige one is almost gone.
    - Will

Junior Member Northern Gentleman's Avatar
    Thanks

Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.... beautiful fountain pens in even "beautifuler" repurposed cigar pen boxes. I only have one box, a 6-pen box I bought online from BamaPen's Pen Boxes about five or six years ago. Simple but classy. Seeing what you've posted makes me want another - I certainly have enough pens! Might even try my hand at buying an empty box and customizing it myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Gentleman View Post
    Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.... beautiful fountain pens in even "beautifuler" repurposed cigar pen boxes. I only have one box, a 6-pen box I bought online from BamaPen's Pen Boxes about five or six years ago. Simple but classy. Seeing what you've posted makes me want another - I certainly have enough pens! Might even try my hand at buying an empty box and customizing it myself.
    I don't smoke cigars (shades of GI Jane going through my head at the thought), but like the idea and found a good selection of boxes on Etsy. Now to source a liner!

Thanks

I don't smoke cigars (shades of GI Jane going through my head at the thought), but like the idea and found a good selection of boxes on Etsy. Now to source a liner!
    I do not smoke cigar either. But my local wine store has a small but well-stocked humidor inside and they sell all the boxes they want to get rid of for $1.50 each

I bet if I venture into a real smoke-shop, I'd get a larger variety and probably lower cost per box as well. I just haven't get around to doing that.
    - Will

Thanks

Nor do I (smoke). There is a local cigar place that sells all their empties for $1 a piece, with the money going to a local Veteran's organization. Win-win. Still working on the black liners, but if you just want to have something in there, Gary Lehrer still makes them available at gopens.com.

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 1st, 2017)

Thanks

The way I make a cigar box pen case is to just take the cigars out of it and pour in the pens. If I put liners in, I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted, sorting through all the boxes.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 1st, 2017)

Thanks

I've made quite a number of cigar box pen boxes since Northern Gentleman bought one from me years ago. If you are interested (shameless plug), click this link to visit my site: Cigar Box Pen Storage

Thanks

Here's a pretty one. I added some vintage map artwork inside the lid:

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BamaPen For This Useful Post:

amk (December 29th, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 2nd, 2017), MY63 (November 2nd, 2017), penwash (November 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BamaPen View Post
    Here's a pretty one. I added some vintage map artwork inside the lid:

Very tempted by the tall boxes on your website. Man, you have started something!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    The way I make a cigar box pen case is to just take the cigars out of it and pour in the pens. If I put liners in, I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted, sorting through all the boxes.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY'RE TOUCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Slightly unrelated, but... with my supply of boxes on hand, I decided to make a holder for something new I want to get into: artistic forays. This contains some basic sketching and watercolor bits, and I added an image to the box interior (as well as duding up a Curnow notepad):

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Amanda (November 12th, 2017), NibsForScript (December 6th, 2017), VertOlive (November 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

I've made quite a number of cigar box pen boxes since Northern Gentleman bought one from me years ago. If you are interested (shameless plug), click this link to visit my site: Cigar Box Pen Storage
    I think I've seen your website once long time ago. Glad you decided to join us here.

And now you're tempting me with the tall vertical pen boxes, I have never seen one of those.

Do you also work on existing boxes? Let's say I found a cool one, can I send it to you to put a liner in?
    - Will

Thanks

Slightly unrelated, but... with my supply of boxes on hand, I decided to make a holder for something new I want to get into: artistic forays. This contains some basic sketching and watercolor bits, and I added an image to the box interior (as well as duding up a Curnow notepad):

So... so ... so, we are going to see some watercolor paintings from you?
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY'RE TOUCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is what the home-school kids say when they go to their first dance.

Actually, though, the pens are fine in there as long as you don't shake the box.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (October 18th, 2021), joolstacho (October 11th, 2021), Marsilius (November 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I think I've seen your website once long time ago. Glad you decided to join us here.

And now you're tempting me with the tall vertical pen boxes, I have never seen one of those.

Do you also work on existing boxes? Let's say I found a cool one, can I send it to you to put a liner in?
    The tall boxes are really fun to do, and you get a lot of pens, stored nib up, in a small footprint. And, yes, I have on occasion fixed up a box that someone provided. In fact I just finished such a thing this afternoon. If you are interested, let me know what you have first. You can contact me at BamaPen@jehubbard.com

John
    Last edited by BamaPen; November 2nd, 2017 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks

I did manage to find my source and ascertain she is still doing business. Michell St. Claire, dba Pendora Pens, has stopped all her other pen stuff but still provides the liners, which you can see and order right here.

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 12th, 2017), VertOlive (November 2nd, 2017)